Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hot water boiler not circulating

OK, so I replaced the pressure release valve and maybe I broke the
pump in the process. I have a Lochinvar hot water boiler with a B&G
pump heating radiators.

Initially water was leaking out of the pressure release valve.
Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I drained the system and replaced
the pressure release valve(PRV). Then I replaced the spicket tht
drained the system because it was leaking too. I started up the system
and it worked fine till a blast of hot water came out of the new
pressure release valve. I turned on the system later and everything
started shaking. Now when I turn on the system the boiler comes on and
the pump comes on, but the pump does not seem to be circulating. Does
anyone have any ideas what I have done and what I can do to fix it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 2:25*pm, wrote:
Call a plumber or HVAC guy!!!!

On Dec 28, 3:19*pm, treno wrote:

OK, so I replaced the pressure release valve and maybe I broke the
pump in the process. I have a Lochinvar hot water boiler with a B&G
pump heating radiators.

Initially water was leaking out of the pressure release valve.
Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I drained the system and replaced
the pressure release valve(PRV). Then I replaced the spicket tht
drained the system because it was leaking too. I started up the system
and it worked fine till a blast of hot water came out of the new
pressure release valve. *I turned on the system later and everything
started shaking. Now when I turn on the system the boiler comes on and
the pump comes on, but the pump does not seem to be circulating. Does
anyone have any ideas what I have done and what I can do to fix it?- Hide quoted text -

A Troll, system starts shakin!!! Or fill to 10lb , bleed radiators
and wait to see what hot lb it reaches, by the way I know nothing
about boilers im a HO , If it shakes it bakes and breaks , easy-bake-
oven , or it then blows, have fun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There comes a time when you bite the bullet and call a professional. I think
you've reached it!!! If it is indeed rumbling, as well as blowing the T&P ,
you may have a defective high limit, and the boiler is overheating, or any
number of other possibilities beyond your ability

"treno" wrote in message
OK, so I replaced the pressure release valve and maybe I broke the
pump in the process. I have a Lochinvar hot water boiler with a B&G
pump heating radiators.

Initially water was leaking out of the pressure release valve.
Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I drained the system and replaced
the pressure release valve(PRV). Then I replaced the spicket tht
drained the system because it was leaking too. I started up the system
and it worked fine till a blast of hot water came out of the new
pressure release valve. I turned on the system later and everything
started shaking. Now when I turn on the system the boiler comes on and
the pump comes on, but the pump does not seem to be circulating. Does
anyone have any ideas what I have done and what I can do to fix it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 12:19*pm, treno wrote:
OK, so I replaced the pressure release valve and maybe I broke the
pump in the process. I have a Lochinvar hot water boiler with a B&G
pump heating radiators.

Initially water was leaking out of the pressure release valve.
Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I drained the system and replaced
the pressure release valve(PRV). Then I replaced the spicket tht
drained the system because it was leaking too. I started up the system
and it worked fine till a blast of hot water came out of the new
pressure release valve. *I turned on the system later and everything
started shaking. Now when I turn on the system the boiler comes on and
the pump comes on, but the pump does not seem to be circulating. Does
anyone have any ideas what I have done and what I can do to fix it?

OK, I should have mentioned I have not been able to find a boiler
repairman, as it is between X-mas and New Years. Also, the more I know
the less it will cost me.

Is there another group I should try?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 3:53*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:44:02 -0800 (PST), treno

wrote:
On Dec 28, 12:19*pm, treno wrote:
[...]

Just ask what you really want. What you want is for someone to tell
you exactly how to fix the problem for free and where to find the
parts for free.
It aint going to happen. Pick up the phone and call a reputable co.
Otherwise, keep futzing with it.
Oh yeah, your story about not finding a repairman because its between
X-mas and New Years is total bull****.
Bubba

Yeah Bub,
I would like someone to tell me how to replace a pump to a hot water
boiler system - for free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , treno wrote:
OK, so I replaced the pressure release valve and maybe I broke the
pump in the process. I have a Lochinvar hot water boiler with a B&G
pump heating radiators.

Initially water was leaking out of the pressure release valve.
Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I drained the system and replaced
the pressure release valve(PRV). Then I replaced the spicket tht
drained the system because it was leaking too. I started up the system

Hold it right there!!

In between "I drained the system" and "I started up the system" there SHOULD
have been "I refilled the system."

I didn't see that. DID you refill the system??

I ask, because these symptoms...

and it worked fine till a blast of hot water came out of the new
pressure release valve. I turned on the system later and everything
started shaking. Now when I turn on the system the boiler comes on and
the pump comes on, but the pump does not seem to be circulating. Does
anyone have any ideas what I have done and what I can do to fix it?

... are *exactly* what I'd expect to see if you restarted the system without
filling it first.

By the way... chances are, it's not your pressure relief valve that was the
problem to begin with. It's more likely to be the pressure-reducing fill valve
(the one that allows water from the regular plumbing system to enter the
boiler).

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, so I replaced the pressure release valve and maybe I broke the
pump in the process. I have a Lochinvar hot water boiler with a B&G
pump heating radiators.

About 10 to 12 years ago, I lived with a hot water heating system. Loved
it, but time moves on...

As I recall, there was a drain and fill event that I lived through, and then
a few hours after the system restart, one of the 5 pumps wouldn't pump. See
if this has anything like yours:

Between the B&G motor, and the actual pump there was a network of springs
and what not that connected the pump shaft to the motor shaft. Memory going
soft on me, but I seem to recall that after the restart that spring assembly
snapped. Was about a $12.00 replacement part. And maybe 3 hours of cussing
and fuming. Once I learned (figured it out) how it all went together, may
be a 12 or15 minute job. (Right tools, right technology, right training,
.....you do need all three)

As I recall, I just went to a plumbing supply place that also listed Hot
Water Heating Systems parts as part of the store's inventory. Not all
plumbing supply houses carried Hot Water Heating parts. I just described
the spring thing, and they asked about the size of the hot water pipe, and
knew what the part was, and sold me what I needed.

Seems there could have been a large air bubble going thru the pump, and this
spring assembly goes busted. Don't know if by design or safety feature to
save either pump or motor. Generally, in 3D, the shaft of the motor may
not be in the exact alignment with pump shaft, so spring assembly bridges
the two shafts and transmit the power to the pump.

As I said, may not apply to your case, and my memory is not as good as it
once was.

Phil

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

Phil-In-Mich. wrote:
[...]

One of the problems with hot water boilers, is you MUST get ALL of the AIR
out. At the higher points in the piping, there should be a Hoffman Air
Vent. As the system is filled, air must be purged. Also, pumps are meant
to pump water, and if there's any air in the impeller, it won't pump well.
You must be sure all the air is out before starting.

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article PO6dnYxHLP04JevanZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@championbroadban d.com, "Zyp" wrote:

One of the problems with hot water boilers, is you MUST get ALL of the AIR
out. At the higher points in the piping, there should be a Hoffman Air
Vent. As the system is filled, air must be purged. Also, pumps are meant
to pump water, and if there's any air in the impeller, it won't pump well.
You must be sure all the air is out before starting.

No, not really. You need to get *most* of the air out, sure. But *all* of it?
Every last bit? Before starting? Naaaah.

--
Regards,