Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairs done for upgrading or for the health of the home

I advocate to all that if you are doing upgrades to your home this
year use small businesses. It is the small businesses that helped
pull the US out of the recession way back when, and it will be the
small businesses that America will come to rely on.

Big stores are like Oil Companies they are more interested in profit
then the consumer. I purchased new windows by Home Depot last
summer. $12K for 17 windows. I was charged $700. for windows that
were 27" x 72" being told that I had "odd" size windows and that's why
they cost so much.

The installation day came. The installer advised me as they were
striving to install the windows in my brick home that the windows were
defective. Indeed the miters on the "double hung, special windows,
hand made just for my home" were up to 4mm and wider apart. I have
"plastic (Home Depot's exact words)" sticking out perpendicular to my
windows. I bought vinyl windows not plastic.

I have a window in my kitchen hung crooked. We can see where water
leaks have gotten past the sealing job they did. My sister noted she
could feel air coming in through various sealed windows.

I wrote to Home Depot and they said "nothing was wrong with the
windows." Funny as not one person from Home Depot ever came back to
check on my windows.

To make a long store short, bigger stores such as Home Depot, would
rather have you think it is "you" versus anything wrong with their
product. Look at HD just find yourself a smaller company that is
bonded and has been in biz long enough to stand behind their product
for the next many years to come. Your business might just save
another small business. And, you should get better service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"tamara719" wrote in message

I wrote to Home Depot and they said "nothing was wrong with the
windows." Funny as not one person from Home Depot ever came back to
check on my windows.

To make a long store short, bigger stores such as Home Depot, would
rather have you think it is "you" versus anything wrong with their
product. Look at HD just find yourself a smaller company that is
bonded and has been in biz long enough to stand behind their product
for the next many years to come. Your business might just save
another small business. And, you should get better service.

People get infatuated with Home Depot and think they are getting a bargain.
They use the lowest bidders to do installations and sell mediocre products.
You, again, show why the local shop is superior to the big guys. Good luck
and I hope you continue to battle for satisfaction. If you have no luck,
check the local newspaper and TV station for a consumer advocate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tamara719" wrote in message
[...]

Sooo , why did you go to Homedepot to find a contractor to install your new
windows in the first place??? Don't know how to use the Yellow Pages ??
Never talked to anyone who has had work done??? By the sounds of your post
you are a smart person so your story sounds a little fishy to me or somebody
else wrote your post for you...If your intent was to start a "bash the big
box stores" thread there was no need to make up a story....Just come right
out and say it and we can all cut and paste our well used posts on the
subject...About time for one...It's been a few weeks...LOL...Although I like
HD I would NOT go there to find a contractor or buy windows there and I've
never been accused of being really smart...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote

Sooo , why did you go to Homedepot to find a contractor to install your
new windows in the first place???

Well, I've used them for some things too. With 25,000$ worth of contracted
repairs on return stateside, we had to 'go cheap' in some things. Not
windows though. We use a specialty company called 'Custom Windows' for
those.

We buy lots of things there and DIY repair. (Had we contracted it all out,
we'd have had a 50,000 or more job). We are now down completely to
cosmetics and an upgrade to insulate the garage.

HD did a nice job on the patio door replacement. It just so happens the
contractors who do their doors in my local area, are good ones. They do
rotten carpet jobs though so I'm piling up some money to have a real carpet
place redo that. I'll live with the crappy carpet covered with asian rugs
for a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message

HD did a nice job on the patio door replacement. It just so happens the
contractors who do their doors in my local area, are good ones. They do
rotten carpet jobs though so I'm piling up some money to have a real
carpet place redo that. I'll live with the crappy carpet covered with
asian rugs for a bit.

All the big stores are a crap shoot. They do have some good installers, but
they have many bad ones too.