Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tap won't stay up in shower/Tub

Hi, I have a shower/tub in one. Its where you pull the little chrome
bar up on the tap and the water then comes out of the shower head
above. However the little chrome bar will no longer stay up and
therefore the water will only come out of the tap in the tub and
nothing comes out of the shower head. I noticed just before it broke
my little 1 year old had his finger in the tap portion, but I have no
idea what he did to it. Its a fairly new tub only about 2 years old.
I believe its Moen, but can't guarantee that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 5:16*pm, car crash wrote:
Hi, I have a shower/tub in one. *Its where you pull the little chrome
bar up on the tap and the water then comes out of the shower head
above. * However the little chrome bar will no longer stay up and
therefore the water will only come out of the tap in the tub and
nothing comes out of the shower head. * I noticed just before it broke
my little 1 year old had his finger in the tap portion, but I have no
idea what he did to it. *Its a fairly new tub only about 2 years old.
I believe its Moen, but can't guarantee that.

A quick search on Home Depot's website shows diverter spouts for as
little as $21.66. Remove and replace. Or possibly the kid jammed
something up there. Take it off and take a look - should be a set-
screw on the spout somewhere to remove it.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi, I have a shower/tub in one. Its where you pull the little chrome
bar up on the tap and the water then comes out of the shower head
above. However the little chrome bar will no longer stay up and
therefore the water will only come out of the tap in the tub and
nothing comes out of the shower head. I noticed just before it broke
my little 1 year old had his finger in the tap portion, but I have no
idea what he did to it. Its a fairly new tub only about 2 years old.
I believe its Moen, but can't guarantee that.

The spout most likely just screws onto a pipe sticking out of the wall.
Twist hard counterclockwise, and it should come out.

It's common to have mineral buildup inside the spout, which interferes
with the diverter. You can try soaking the spout in hot vinegar, but
new spouts start under $10.

Use Teflon tape when you put it back on.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

The spout most likely just screws onto a pipe sticking out of the wall.
Twist hard counterclockwise, and it should come out.

Look for a set screw before twisting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 8:16*pm, car crash wrote:
Hi, I have a shower/tub in one. *Its where you pull the little chrome
bar up on the tap and the water then comes out of the shower head
above. * However the little chrome bar will no longer stay up and
therefore the water will only come out of the tap in the tub and
nothing comes out of the shower head. * I noticed just before it broke
my little 1 year old had his finger in the tap portion, but I have no
idea what he did to it. *Its a fairly new tub only about 2 years old.
I believe its Moen, but can't guarantee that.

It's typically the water pressure that holds the lever up. When you
engage the lever, the pressure against the back of the flap blocks the
path for the water and it is forced upward to the shower.

Is it possible that your son has somehow disengaged the flap so it's
not stopping the water any more?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 4:05*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 20, 8:16*pm, car crash wrote:

Hi, I have a shower/tub in one. *Its where you pull the little chrome
bar up on the tap and the water then comes out of the shower head
above. * However the little chrome bar will no longer stay up and
therefore the water will only come out of the tap in the tub and
nothing comes out of the shower head. * I noticed just before it broke
my little 1 year old had his finger in the tap portion, but I have no
idea what he did to it. *Its a fairly new tub only about 2 years old.
I believe its Moen, but can't guarantee that.

It's typically the water pressure that holds the lever up. When you
engage the lever, the pressure against the back of the flap blocks the
path for the water and it is forced upward to the shower.

Is it possible that your son has somehow disengaged the flap so it's
not stopping the water any more?

Thanks all, I got it fixed. It appears the diverter was slightly
loose.

TV won't stay on Vickie Electronics Repair 4 May 19th 07 10:36 AM
OT- Can They Come Stay With You? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 32 April 3rd 06 11:45 AM
OT-Sit and Stay Gunner Metalworking 1 September 30th 05 04:11 AM
TV won't stay off pe Home Repair 5 January 3rd 05 02:58 AM
OT- just couldn't stay away wallster Metalworking 21 December 26th 04 06:57 AM