Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Latex Handle Liquid?

I remember seeing some liquid stuff a while back, where you could dip
the handle of a metal tool into it, pull it out, let it cure and you
have a rubber grip.
What is this stuff called so I know what to ask for when I go to the
hardware store?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Justin wrote:
I remember seeing some liquid stuff a while back, where you could dip
the handle of a metal tool into it, pull it out, let it cure and you
have a rubber grip.
What is this stuff called so I know what to ask for when I go to the
hardware store?

Plasti-Dip Handle Coating, the big box stores carry it
And I think I've seen it at Harbor Freight.

http://tinyurl.com/qz7wab

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Justin" wrote in message
I remember seeing some liquid stuff a while back, where you could dip the
handle of a metal tool into it, pull it out, let it cure and you have a
rubber grip.
What is this stuff called so I know what to ask for when I go to the
hardware store?

*I bought stuff like that many years ago. The thickness of one dip is not
sufficient to be the equivalent of a rubber grip. It is also not as
comfortable. The coating is very durable though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 1:43*am, Justin wrote:
I remember seeing some liquid stuff a while back, where you could dip
the handle of a metal tool into it, pull it out, let it cure and you
have a rubber grip.
What is this stuff called so I know what to ask for when I go to the
hardware store?

It comes in a few colors, some bright like yellow, orange and red so
you can easily find tools, I dont think its latex, latex wont be
durable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Cliff Hartle wrote:
Definitely not latex and it doesn't create a rubber grippy type surface like
you find on pliers like channel locks, its more like thick paint.

You can build up as thick a coating as desired by multiple dippings. It
doesn't have a textured surface, true.

I just used it to cover a fabricated battery hold down to replace a
missing one for the small utility tractor. The stuff works pretty well
for such kinds of purposes.

Don't recall the particular brand; I'd expect any hardware or auto
parts, etc., will have one or more to choose from...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Justin" wrote in message
I remember seeing some liquid stuff a while back, where you could dip the
handle of a metal tool into it, pull it out, let it cure and you have a
rubber grip.
What is this stuff called so I know what to ask for when I go to the
hardware store?

Its not actually for a grip, I'm making a camera mount for a car, and I
have two U-bolts that will wrap around the posts on the head rest. I
need something to prevent the U-bolts from scratching the chrome on the
posts. It should also help with vibration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 1:58 pm, Justin wrote:
Cliff Hartle wrote:

Its not actually for a grip, I'm making a camera mount for a car, and I
have two U-bolts that will wrap around the posts on the head rest. I
need something to prevent the U-bolts from scratching the chrome on the
posts. It should also help with vibration.

I would be surprised if Plati-dip is durable enough for this. I would
consider going to the auto store and buying some appropriately sized
fuel line or vacuum line to slip over the u-bolts. You might need
slightly wider u-bolts to account for the thickness of the tubing. Or
you could try thinner plastic tubing from the plumbing section at HD...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 5:47*pm, Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
On May 17, 1:58 pm, Justin wrote:

Cliff Hartle wrote:
Its not actually for a grip, I'm making a camera mount for a car, and I
have two U-bolts that will wrap around the posts on the head rest. *I
need something to prevent the U-bolts from scratching the chrome on the
posts. *It should also help with vibration.

I would be surprised if Plati-dip is durable enough for this. I would
consider going to the auto store and buying some appropriately sized
fuel line or vacuum line to slip over the u-bolts. You might need
slightly wider u-bolts to account for the thickness of the tubing. Or
you could try thinner plastic tubing from the plumbing section at HD...

Or wrap the headrest posts in tape. Plasti-Dip would work if you put
on enough layers. It's not worth the effort. The tubing idea is far
superior.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 1:58 pm, Justin wrote:

Cliff Hartle wrote:
Its not actually for a grip, I'm making a camera mount for a car, and I
have two U-bolts that will wrap around the posts on the head rest. I
need something to prevent the U-bolts from scratching the chrome on the
posts. It should also help with vibration.

I would be surprised if Plati-dip is durable enough for this. I would
consider going to the auto store and buying some appropriately sized
fuel line or vacuum line to slip over the u-bolts. You might need
slightly wider u-bolts to account for the thickness of the tubing. Or
you could try thinner plastic tubing from the plumbing section at HD...

Or wrap the headrest posts in tape. Plasti-Dip would work if you put
on enough layers. It's not worth the effort. The tubing idea is far
superior.

I don't know if they still do but Klein
used to sell slip on textured plastic
handle covers for it's electrical plier