Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Pump Problems

Having a bit of trouble with my water pump not shutting off. Usually
when this happens I just have to pump a bit of air in the bladder and
it works fine for many months but this time that trick is not working.
I can get it to stop by shutting it off at the circuit breaker for
about 10 seconds and then turn the breaker back on and the pump stays
shut off until I run enough water for it to kick back on.

Also, I'm running on generator power today because the storm knocked
out power out last night. It has not been a problem before but it
still makes me wonder if it has something to do with it or if it is
just a coincidence.

It was probably about 20 years ago when I installed this pump. Looks
like it is way past it's prime and might be time for a new one.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 9:10*am, hibb wrote:
Having a bit of trouble with my water pump not shutting off. Usually
when this happens I just have to pump a bit of air in the bladder and
it works fine for many months but this time that trick is not working.
I can get it to stop by shutting it off at the circuit breaker for
about 10 seconds and then turn the breaker back on and the pump stays
shut off until I run enough water for it to kick back on.

Also, I'm running on generator power today because the storm knocked
out power out last night. It has not been a problem before but it
still makes me wonder if it has something to do with it or if it is
just a coincidence.

It was probably about 20 years ago when I installed this pump. Looks
like it is way past it's prime and might be time for a new one.

David

Just a bit of guessing but I'm thinking that your water pump system is
not unlike an air compressor system.

When pressure falls below the "low pressure - pump on" limit...the
switch contacts close and the pump turns on.

When the pressure reaches the "high pressure - pump off" ......the
switch contacts open and the pump turns off.

By turning off power at the breaker, you are killing the cycle until
the pressure fails again to the "turn - on" limit.

It appears that the contacts are remaining closed.

Do you have a seperate "electrical control box" on or near the pump
(motor)?

Unless the whole system is a single unit and the controls are not
separately serviceable you should be able to just fix or replace the
pressure switching part of it.

If pressure builds to "normal" operating pressure (& it seems like it
does since you topped off the air tank) then the fault is most likely
in the switch.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 12:45*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2009 09:10:15 -0700 (PDT), hibb
wrote:

Having a bit of trouble with my water pump not shutting off. Usually
when this happens I just have to pump a bit of air in the bladder and
it works fine for many months but this time that trick is not working.
I can get it to stop by shutting it off at the circuit breaker for
about 10 seconds and then turn the breaker back on and the pump stays
shut off until I run enough water for it to kick back on.

Also, I'm running on generator power today because the storm knocked
out power out last night. It has not been a problem before but it
still makes me wonder if it has something to do with it or if it is
just a coincidence.

It was probably about 20 years ago when I installed this pump. Looks
like it is way past it's prime and might be time for a new one.

David

What is the cut out pressure set at? What is it when it is still
running?
You might just have a bad pressure switch or the pump might be worn to
the point that it can't make the switch setting. The answer is
watching the gauge when it fails.
Try backing off on the cut out pressure a couple pounds.

Now it's getting weirder. I started getting black water out of the
faucet in the bathroom and now have no water pressure there even when
the pump is running and the pressure guage on the pump is near 50 psi.

I ran the faucet in the kitchen for a little while and it started
doing the same thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yep. Lowering the shut off pressure did the trick for now. I am not
sure if the problem is totally in the switch or if the pump is wearing
out and can not get the pressure up to normal switch operation. The
switch is a 30 - 50 switch. I think I will just keep an eye on it and
probably replace the switch this weekend to see if it will shut off at
normal pressure.

Thanks, David
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 12:48*pm, fftt wrote:
On May 14, 9:10*am, hibb wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bob.

Looks like at least part of the problem is in the switch. I have it
working now and will replace the switch this weekend (or sooner if
problems crop back up)

Thanks, David

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Did this symptom go away after you got the pump working again? Is this pump an
in-well or above ground? It could be that the passage from the plumbing to the
switch is plugged up with debris, so it isn't allow the pressure to reach the
switch fast enough. Unscrewing the switch unit might reveil this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The pump is above ground. I have it working ok now. Looks like when
the pump ran too long and over heated and the water pressure dropped,
it stirred up some silt when I got it running again and the silt
plugged up the aerators. I lowered the cut off pressure on the switch
and now it works like it should. I may go ahead and replace the switch
anyway.

Thanks, David