Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT (Way off) When cars had style

on 5/13/2009 5:17 PM (ET) Bob-tx wrote the following:
Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old
codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into
might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.

For those of us that remember when they you could name
every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new
model year.............

This may bring back a few memories!!!!

Bob-tx

http://www.billsretroworld.com/cars.htm

I agree wholeheartedly.
I think all cars now are made from the same blueprints except for giving
each a different grill.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob-tx" wrote in news:4a0b2ac1$0$23745
:

Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old
codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into
might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.

For those of us that remember when they you could name
every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new
model year.............

This may bring back a few memories!!!!

Bob-tx

http://www.billsretroworld.com/cars.htm

Think I saw an oil leak under that Corvair. If not, then it's out of oil
:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old
codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into
might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.

For those of us that remember when they you could name
every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new
model year.............

This may bring back a few memories!!!!

Bob-tx

http://www.billsretroworld.com/cars.htm

Thanks for that. I enjoyed looking through them. Amazing how tastes differed
in different cultures though becoming similar. Living on the other side of
The Pond, the one photo I really appreciated was where Herbie sneaked into
the picture ( 57 Mercury Turnpike)!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/09 1:38 PM, in article
, "willshak"
wrote:

on 5/13/2009 5:17 PM (ET) Bob-tx wrote the following:
Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old
codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into
might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.

For those of us that remember when they you could name
every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new
model year.............

This may bring back a few memories!!!!

Bob-tx

http://www.billsretroworld.com/cars.htm

I agree wholeheartedly.
I think all cars now are made from the same blueprints except for giving
each a different grill.

--

Yes, but you know what -- I haven't had a new car rust out at all like those
older ones did in just a couple of years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
: Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old
: codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into
: might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.

: For those of us that remember when they you could name
: every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new
: model year.............

Nice.

The most beautiful cars I've ever seen were designed in the 1930s, and
appeard ina fantastic show called Curves of Steel a couple of years ago.
Some examples he

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2849103.shtml

-- Andy Barss
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old
codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into
might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.

For those of us that remember when they you could name
every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new
model year.............

This may bring back a few memories!!!!

Bob-tx

http://www.billsretroworld.com/cars.htm

Long live old-fogeyism! First car I drove, belonging to my parents, was
a Buick ...Special? 1960? Navy blue, elegant. I could do 125 (as high
as the speedometer went) and it was still accelerating. Can't believe I
did that )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Olsen wrote:

On 5/13/09 1:38 PM, in article
, "willshak"
wrote:

on 5/13/2009 5:17 PM (ET) Bob-tx wrote the following:
Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old
codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into
might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.

For those of us that remember when they you could name
every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new
model year.............

This may bring back a few memories!!!!

Bob-tx

http://www.billsretroworld.com/cars.htm
I agree wholeheartedly.
I think all cars now are made from the same blueprints except for giving
each a different grill.

Plastic doesn't rust ) One of these days, all that will be left of my
car sitting in the Florida sun will be a pile of plastic and a few
little clumps of Bondo )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old
codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into
might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.

For those of us that remember when they you could name
every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new
model year.............

This may bring back a few memories!!!!

YEAH! They had chrome...they had wing windows...they had windshields that
weren't raked so much that you couldn't clean the inside.

Some had added benefits. My '51 Studebaker Starlight coupe had arm rests in
the back that flipped open exposing the (enclosed) wheel well below. If one
were so inclined, one could dump in a bunch of ice and a six pack or two.

dadiOH

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 10:52*pm, Scott Olsen wrote:
On 5/13/09 1:38 PM, in article
, "willshak"

wrote:
on 5/13/2009 5:17 PM (ET) Bob-tx wrote the following:
Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old
codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into
might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.

* * * * * * For those of us that remember when they you could name
every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new
model year.............

* * * * * * This may bring back a few memories!!!!

* * * * * * Bob-tx

* * * * * *http://www.billsretroworld.com/cars.htm

I agree wholeheartedly.
I think all cars now are made from the same blueprints except for giving
each a different grill.

--

Yes, but you know what -- I haven't had a new car rust out at all like those
older ones did in just a couple of years.

Aerodynamics is king nowadays.

Besides, as long as the car moves me and my stuff from point A to
point B,
I hardly care what it looks like. It's a tool. It should be designed
for function.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 6:17*pm, "Bob-tx" wrote:
Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old
codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into
might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.

* * * * * * For those of us that remember when they you could name
every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new
model year.............

* * * * * * This may bring back a few memories!!!!

* * * * * * Bob-tx

* * * * * *http://www.billsretroworld.com/cars.htm

Beauties. I always said if I win money old cars are going to be my
hobby;-} My first car was a 1959 Chev., what is left of it is still
behind my Dads. Metal dash, no seat belts,283 engine,go like the
wind... Big car with lots of metal but I figure if you ever were in an
accident you were toast. Good times.:-}
Posted to alt.home.repair

Much the same, here. Four wheels, and starts when I turn the
key.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in
message news:d701519e-eab9-451c-8999-e

Aerodynamics is king nowadays.

Besides, as long as the car moves me and my stuff from point
A to
point B,
I hardly care what it looks like. It's a tool. It should
be designed
for function.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

on 5/13/2009 5:17 PM (ET) Bob-tx wrote the following:
Sorry for such an off topic post, but I know there are a few old
codgers like myself on here, and I thought this site I ran into
might be of interest to you, and perhaps even to the youngsters.

For those of us that remember when they you could name
every car on the road and you awaited the introduction of the new
model year.............

This may bring back a few memories!!!!

Bob-tx

http://www.billsretroworld.com/cars.htm

I agree wholeheartedly.
I think all cars now are made from the same blueprints except for
giving each a different grill.

Convergent evolution, they're all trying to reduce drag and maximize
interior volume so they all end up looking pretty much the same, with
occasional exceptions. Of course those who don't believe evolution is real
probably have another explanation involving a govt. conspiracy, at least
they provide some entertainment value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
Besides, as long as the car moves me and my stuff from point A to
point B,
I hardly care what it looks like. It's a tool. It should be designed
for function.

Function is more important than form, but when you can have both, why not?
I guess Michelangelo and Rembrandt could have gotten their point across
without all the detail too. Why bother with al the colors in clothing when
natural is good enough. Paint would be cheaper if the only color was
brown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 10:55*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

Besides, as long as the car moves me and my stuff from point A to
point B,
I hardly care what it looks like. *It's a tool. *It should be designed
for function.

*Function is more important than form, but when you can have both, why not?
I guess Michelangelo and Rembrandt could have gotten their point across
without all the detail too. *Why bother with al the colors in clothing when
natural is good enough. * Paint would be cheaper if the only color was
brown.

Aerodynamics is part of the function. It helps to minimize gas
consumption.
I realize that wasn't part of my original spec, but given how much I
value
utility that should go without saying.

You are talking to a woman who has two identical pairs of black shoes
(oxfords),
two navy blue suits, two gray suits, and two black suits. Usually
worn
with a white blouse.

Cindy Hamilton

OT -- Small Cars Are Dangerous Cars - Fuel economy zealots can kill you Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 50 May 2nd 09 06:59 AM
BEST CARS ED Metalworking 14 September 10th 08 04:57 PM
Need the low-priced cars? [email protected] Woodworking 0 February 19th 07 08:34 AM
BUY NEW CARS FROM $200.00 AND UP!!! ched Home Ownership 0 January 17th 05 03:51 AM
Fed up about cars end barry martin Home Repair 1 December 1st 04 06:00 AM