Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cedar Deck Maintenance

My 5-year old cedar deck needs to be re-stained again. I sanded it down to bare wood
a year ago, but already it's grayed over. I've been using Sikkens Cetol SRD (Cedar) stain.
We live in Central Minnesota, and there are oak trees right next to the deck (they shed
black stuff when it rains). Is there a brand of cedar stain that lasts longer? I've heard
that
Cabot is a good brand.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 2:56*pm, "Bozena" wrote:
My 5-year old cedar deck needs to be re-stained again. *I sanded it down to bare wood
a year ago, but already it's grayed over. I've been using Sikkens Cetol SRD (Cedar) stain.
We live in Central Minnesota, and there are oak trees right next to the deck (they shed
black stuff when it rains). *Is there a brand of cedar stain that lasts longer? *I've heard
that
Cabot is a good brand.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Scott

What went grey the decking, you should have recoated it before it wore
off anywhere or started with 2 coats, Sherwin Williams deck cleaner is
good on grey cedar, its Oxalic acid and maybe bleach. Clear coats dont
last I would be recoating everything every year and the deck two coats
or more, Cabots is good but clear coats dont last. Are you using oil
products
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 May 2009 04:19:22 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On May 13, 2:56Â*pm, "Bozena" wrote:
My 5-year old cedar deck needs to be re-stained again. Â*I sanded it down to bare wood
a year ago, but already it's grayed over. I've been using Sikkens Cetol SRD (Cedar) stain.
We live in Central Minnesota, and there are oak trees right next to the deck (they shed
black stuff when it rains). Â*Is there a brand of cedar stain that lasts longer? Â*I've heard
that
Cabot is a good brand.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Scott

What went grey the decking, you should have recoated it before it wore
off anywhere or started with 2 coats, Sherwin Williams deck cleaner is
good on grey cedar, its Oxalic acid and maybe bleach. Clear coats dont
last I would be recoating everything every year and the deck two coats
or more, Cabots is good but clear coats dont last. Are you using oil
products

The beauty of Cedar is you don't have to stain it. Cedar is
maintenance free - stain is not. And by the way, axalic acid IS
bleach. Most wood bleaches are OA.
The old formula Thompsons sealer was good for cedar - the new stuff is
good for nuthin.

I just pressure wash my cedar and Pressure Treeted yellow pine decks
every year - and use a bit of chlorine bleach to kill off the green
moss "slime" on the PT. I stained the cedar once - and then sanded it
odd a year later and said "never again"