Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Cedar Deck Maintenance

On May 13, 2:56*pm, "Bozena" wrote:
My 5-year old cedar deck needs to be re-stained again. *I sanded it down to bare wood
a year ago, but already it's grayed over. I've been using Sikkens Cetol SRD (Cedar) stain.
We live in Central Minnesota, and there are oak trees right next to the deck (they shed
black stuff when it rains). *Is there a brand of cedar stain that lasts longer? *I've heard
that
Cabot is a good brand.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Scott

What went grey the decking, you should have recoated it before it wore
off anywhere or started with 2 coats, Sherwin Williams deck cleaner is
good on grey cedar, its Oxalic acid and maybe bleach. Clear coats dont
last I would be recoating everything every year and the deck two coats
or more, Cabots is good but clear coats dont last. Are you using oil
products