Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Jalousie Window Hardware Repair

My house was built in 1956 and has the original jalousie windows. I happen
to like them but the cranks etc. are wearing out. and the ones I am using to
replace them with were salvaged from other houses. The problem I have is
connecting the aluminum "push rod" with its two holes, with the crank
"throw" that requires very flat connectors/fastenings. Maybe someone out
there has solved this problem. I thought of pop rivets but I am not sure how
to set it up. Thanks for any ideas about this.
Derek

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Derek Lawler wrote:
My house was built in 1956 and has the original jalousie windows. I happen
to like them but the cranks etc. are wearing out. and the ones I am using to
replace them with were salvaged from other houses. The problem I have is
connecting the aluminum "push rod" with its two holes, with the crank
"throw" that requires very flat connectors/fastenings. Maybe someone out
there has solved this problem. I thought of pop rivets but I am not sure how
to set it up. Thanks for any ideas about this.

You can still buy repair parts on-line, including the pin to which you
refer.

"http://www.dkhardware.com/product-25014-h3690-7-16-jalousie-and-awning-link-groove-pin-and-e-ring.html"
"http://www.technologylk.com/product/1858/CRL-Awning-Window-Operator-Repair-Parts/15291/H3552/CRL-Universal-Louver-Window-Operator-Break-Off-Link-H3552.htm?src=froogle"

I remember going to buy replacemet crank operators with my dad back in
the 1960's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2009 15:25:33 -0400, "Derek Lawler"
wrote:

My house was built in 1956 and has the original jalousie windows. I happen
to like them but the cranks etc. are wearing out. and the ones I am using to
replace them with were salvaged from other houses. The problem I have is
connecting the aluminum "push rod" with its two holes, with the crank
"throw" that requires very flat connectors/fastenings. Maybe someone out
there has solved this problem. I thought of pop rivets but I am not sure how
to set it up. Thanks for any ideas about this.
Derek

Ideas?! Replace the windows.

If you insist on a repair, a typical rivet (average garage size) will
not last. Locate a source for aircraft rivets. I fixed the hull and
ribs in a small aluminum bass boat. Stiffened her right up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message
Derek Lawler wrote:
[...]

....and if you don't like those, Goggling "jalousie repair parts" yielded
18,000 sites.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My house was built in 1956 and has the original jalousie windows. I
happen
to like them but the cranks etc. are wearing out. and the ones I am using
replace them with were salvaged from other houses. The problem I have is
connecting the aluminum "push rod" with its two holes, with the crank
"throw" that requires very flat connectors/fastenings. Maybe someone out
there has solved this problem. I thought of pop rivets but I am not sure
how
to set it up. Thanks for any ideas about this.
Derek

Ideas?! Replace the windows.

If you insist on a repair, a typical rivet (average garage size) will
not last. Locate a source for aircraft rivets. I fixed the hull and
ribs in a small aluminum bass boat. Stiffened her right up.

Thanks for the suggestions and links. I should have started with google but
my problem is one of technique and tomorrow I will tackle it again. Holding
the link in place while I pop a rivet through a small washer is probably
going to take vice grips or hemostat clamps. I am definitely not going to
replace the windows.
Derek