Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small, light, ball barrier

I would like to make some type of barrier to keep rolling golf balls
from leaving the lawn and entering the shrubbery.

I have been practicing short shots in the back yard. If I hit it a bit
too long or a bit too flat, it will roll off tyhe edge of the lawn and
into the never-never land of the shrubbery.

What in have in mind is something light that I can push into the dirt
with my hand and remove.

It needs to be about 6-8" tall and somewhat rigid. The total length
will be about 20', but needn't be one piece -- four 5' sections would
be OK.

My first thought was for a piece of 1x6 or even something thinner;
maybe even strips of 1/4" pegboard. I'd drill holes in the bottom edge
and glue heavy wire for the stakes.

I stopped by a local hardware store looking for some type of plastic,
but didn't see anything. I bought a roll of rain gutter screen and
some tent stakes, but the screen is too flimsy. It needs to be
stiffer.

Does anyone have a better idea than the pegboard?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

hardware cloth?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

Look in sporting goods department. Plastic tent stakes and some variety
of table-tennis nets spring to mind. If they don't have tent stakes long
enough, surveyor equipment store will have longer ones, or you could
make from wood. They also make a stiff plastic mesh used for erosion
control on construction sites- a full-line concrete products company
would likely have that, as well as reusable stakes to go with it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

Sporting goods store. Tennis, vollyball, or badmitten net.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

The netting used as a deer barrier would probably work. Stuff is 8 ft
high so maybe you could drape top over shrubs and peg bottom down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:34:09 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

I had never heard that term before. I looked for wire mesh in the
local Ace Hardware, but didn't find anything that I thought might
work. A search on "hardware cloth" turned up all sorts of options.
I'll go look at Home Depot and OSH or I can order online. Plastic
hardware cloth looks like a good possibility. I can tie it to a few
spikes.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Plastic lanscape edging and stakes.

Or even redwood bender baord and stakes.

-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 6:30*pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
Plastic lanscape edging and stakes.

Or even redwood bender baord and stakes.

-Zz

As per ZZ's comment

Plastic landscape edging (available from amazon & elsewhere) ~$10
for 20ft roll.... 6" high

Nail / staple to edge of a Trex or wood 1x4. Make some 5' sections.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:27:51 -0700, Square Peg
wrote:

What in have in mind is something light that I can push into the dirt
with my hand and remove.

1. Cardboard.
2. Foamboard.
3. Stiff wire fencing (used by gardeners to protect plants).

--
Regards,
Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Square Peg wrote:

[...]

Well, you could just make the 1 x 6 free standing rather than staking it
into the dirt. Lots of different ways to make feet for the boards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:14:10 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Square Peg wrote:

[...]

I actually tried that with a piece of vinyl and a smaller board. They
both tipped over when a ball hit them. I thought about getting any old
stake and putting one on both sides every few feet. But, now I have a
lot of good ideas using screen or fabric which will roll up and be
easier to store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up buying a roll of hardware
cloth at OSH. It's 3' x 20' mesh with 1/2" squares. It's painted with
a green plastic coating. Works perfectly.

I first tried a roll of rain gutter screen, but it was only 5-6" tall
and too flimsy. Some balls would bounce over or even under. The
hardware cloths has stopped a few "equator shots". ;-)

Thanks.