Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower door stop repair

A customer has a glass shower enclosure. The door opens out and closes
against a plastic strip. The plastic strip is glued onto the glass with
what looks like, but probably isn't, Rubber Cement. Part of the stop has
come loose, and needs to be reattached. This would mean removing the no
longer working "rubber cement" then putting new on, and maybe clamping the
stop in place.

Does anyone know what is used to glue the plastic to the glass. It's
possible it's just clear caulk, but I'm not entirely sure it it. I was
thinking it was something specific to the shower stall/glass industry.

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote:
A customer has a glass shower enclosure. The door opens out and closes
against a plastic strip. The plastic strip is glued onto the glass with
what looks like, but probably isn't, Rubber Cement. Part of the stop has
come loose, and needs to be reattached. This would mean removing the no
longer working "rubber cement" then putting new on, and maybe clamping the
stop in place.

Does anyone know what is used to glue the plastic to the glass. It's
possible it's just clear caulk, but I'm not entirely sure it it. I was
thinking it was something specific to the shower stall/glass industry.

Hi,
Wonder if it was a stick on plastic strip(or tape?)
From a roll you remove backing and press it onto a dry surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 19, 7:25*pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
A customer has a glass shower enclosure. The door opens out and closes
against a plastic strip. The plastic strip is glued onto the glass with
what looks like, but probably isn't, Rubber Cement. Part of the stop has
come loose, and needs to be reattached. This would mean removing the no
longer working "rubber cement" then putting new on, and maybe clamping the
stop in place.

Does anyone know what is used to glue the plastic to the glass. It's
possible it's just clear caulk, but I'm not entirely sure it it. I was
thinking it was something specific to the shower stall/glass industry.

--
charles

One material not likely to affect the plastic, have reasonable
adhesion to plastic and glass would be silicone sealant. Older types
of clear silicone would be easiest to try. Silicones will bond
tenaciously to older cured material so complete removal would not be
necessary. Be aware that once a silicone is used. nothing will adhere
well to it.
In other cases, auto rear view mirrors (with plastic bases) are
mounted to windshields with cyanoacrylate adhesives. This is cheaper
than silicone and useful for smaller pieces.
Finally, 3M makes a fair number of adhesives useful in many industries
for bonding gaskets to glass. IMO, one of these available at any body
shop supply outlet might do the job best. Use with a sealant remover/
cleaner for best results.
Don't overlook a friendly chat with a local glass shop as a source of
material or help.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote:
A customer has a glass shower enclosure. The door opens out and closes
against a plastic strip. The plastic strip is glued onto the glass with
what looks like, but probably isn't, Rubber Cement. Part of the stop has
come loose, and needs to be reattached. This would mean removing the no
longer working "rubber cement" then putting new on, and maybe clamping the
stop in place.

Does anyone know what is used to glue the plastic to the glass. It's
possible it's just clear caulk, but I'm not entirely sure it it. I was
thinking it was something specific to the shower stall/glass industry.

Can you just trash the old strip and replace it with stick-on clear
plastic bumpers? They come in all sizes and certainly wouldn't be very
noticeable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Tony Hwang
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
A customer has a glass shower enclosure. The door opens out and closes
against a plastic strip. The plastic strip is glued onto the glass with
what looks like, but probably isn't, Rubber Cement. Part of the stop has
come loose, and needs to be reattached. This would mean removing the no
longer working "rubber cement" then putting new on, and maybe clamping the
stop in place.

Does anyone know what is used to glue the plastic to the glass. It's
possible it's just clear caulk, but I'm not entirely sure it it. I was
thinking it was something specific to the shower stall/glass industry.

Hi,
Wonder if it was a stick on plastic strip(or tape?)
From a roll you remove backing and press it onto a dry surface.

No, it looks like a bead of caulk, flattened between the glass and the stop.

--
charles

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
, Joe
wrote:

On Apr 19, 7:25=A0pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
[...]

Thanks, all good advice.

Charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
A customer has a glass shower enclosure. The door opens out and closes
against a plastic strip. The plastic strip is glued onto the glass with
what looks like, but probably isn't, Rubber Cement. Part of the stop has
come loose, and needs to be reattached. This would mean removing the no
longer working "rubber cement" then putting new on, and maybe clamping the
stop in place.

Does anyone know what is used to glue the plastic to the glass. It's
possible it's just clear caulk, but I'm not entirely sure it it. I was
thinking it was something specific to the shower stall/glass industry.

Can you just trash the old strip and replace it with stick-on clear
plastic bumpers? They come in all sizes and certainly wouldn't be very
noticeable.

The door doesn't close against the fixed pane, it closes into the opening,
and the stop, which is glued onto the fixed pane, keeps it from moving
through the opening, much like a stop in a normal doorway.

--
charles

Patio door stop? stuart noble UK diy 2 July 18th 04 10:17 PM
Door Stop barry martin Home Repair 1 May 7th 04 04:17 AM
Mira electric shower won't stop David UK diy 1 December 31st 03 12:43 AM
How do I stop door from swinging open (or closed)? trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 7 December 30th 03 09:21 PM