Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screen door slams - AFTER adjusting a NEW closer... Now what?

A new pneumatic closer still can't stop my screen door from slamming,
even after adjustment.

No matter how loose/tight I make the screw, I get a slamming door.
SOMETIMES the door will almost slam close, then the cylinder kicks in
and slows the door to a crawl.

Any thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

bryan wrote:
A new pneumatic closer still can't stop my screen door from slamming,
even after adjustment.

No matter how loose/tight I make the screw, I get a slamming door.
SOMETIMES the door will almost slam close, then the cylinder kicks in
and slows the door to a crawl.

Any thoughts?

wish I had your problems... I can't find a closer strong enough to close
my storm door against the air pressure between it and the main door.
Every day I come home to find it open after the mailman has opened it
and left the mail...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
bryan wrote:
A new pneumatic closer still can't stop my screen door from slamming,
even after adjustment.

No matter how loose/tight I make the screw, I get a slamming door.
SOMETIMES the door will almost slam close, then the cylinder kicks in
and slows the door to a crawl.

Any thoughts?

wish I had your problems... I can't find a closer strong enough to close
my storm door against the air pressure between it and the main door.
Every day I come home to find it open after the mailman has opened it
and left the mail...

nate

That was actually discussed on here before. They apparently sell a
little butterfly valve thing that pops open as the door closes, to vent
the overpressure. Me, I'd just drill a couple small holes, top and
bottom. I may do that anyway. My front door faces west- you could cook
in the glassed-in space. Room side of the door gets hot to the touch.
Any color other than white for the main door, is out of the question.
Keep meaning to take the glass panel into the window shop, and get some
of that reflective stuff put on it. Maybe have them make me a screen the
same size while I am there, for the two warm weeks a year I can leave
the doors open without setting off my allergies.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
bryan wrote:
[...]

Funny you should mention that. I had some screens made last year, and
since yesterday was the first weekend day this year that a) I was home
b) the temperature outside was comfortable and c) it wasn't raining, I
put the screen in and left the front door open.

By 6 PM I had a screaming (sinus?) headache and actually I have only
started to feel better in the past few hours. Was only half-asleep most
of the night...

Now this may be attributable to the fact that I cleaned and Scotchgarded
the interior of my car yesterday, or that I used Diesel fuel to clean
the tar off the insides of a set of Porsche wheels, or any number of
other things I did yesterday involving various hydrocarbons, aromatics,
or combinations thereof. But I suspect that it is actually good old
steamy plant sex that's setting my head off, something that hasn't
happened to me in a decade or more...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bryan" wrote in message
A new pneumatic closer still can't stop my screen door from slamming,
even after adjustment.

No matter how loose/tight I make the screw, I get a slamming door.
SOMETIMES the door will almost slam close, then the cylinder kicks in
and slows the door to a crawl.

Any thoughts?

Yeah. Every repair that takes an hour really takes eleven hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bryan wrote:
A new pneumatic closer still can't stop my screen door from slamming,
even after adjustment.

No matter how loose/tight I make the screw, I get a slamming door.
SOMETIMES the door will almost slam close, then the cylinder kicks in
and slows the door to a crawl.

Any thoughts?

Hi,
My door has two closers(top and bottom). It closes smooth as butter, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

bryan wrote:
A new pneumatic closer still can't stop my screen door from slamming,
even after adjustment.

No matter how loose/tight I make the screw, I get a slamming door.
SOMETIMES the door will almost slam close, then the cylinder kicks in
and slows the door to a crawl.

Any thoughts?

I'd pull the pin attaching the cylinder to the door, then extend it and
see how it retracts. If it won't behave, you can demonstrate it where
you bought it and maybe test the replacement before you buy it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:21:53 -0700 (PDT), bryan
wrote:

A new pneumatic closer still can't stop my screen door from slamming,
even after adjustment.

No matter how loose/tight I make the screw, I get a slamming door.
SOMETIMES the door will almost slam close, then the cylinder kicks in
and slows the door to a crawl.

Any thoughts?

I now have your problem but first had the opposite one. The door just
wouldn't close enough. I already had it set to pull as much as
possible and figured that I'd have to move the attachment on the wall
a half inch or so back from the door to provide more leverage.

So I disconnected it, and got one screw out and the drill broke! It's
only three months old so back it goes, but I decided to just leave the
door until I get it replaced.

I reconnected it, and now the door slams! I made NO adjustment other
than getting that one screw out (I'm talking those four long screws
that hold the closer to the wall). The cotter pins went back the same
way, I didn't turn the adjuster at all, I didn't change the connector
positioning on the door itself. Just magic as far as I can tell.

Well, I don't mind it slaming a bit. At least it's closing now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to bryan, Matt in PDX wrote:
Have you tried moving the bracket that attaches it to the door? Mine would
close slowly and then, about 2" away, snap and slam shut. I moved the bracket
out an inch, and it works perfectly now. You might have to have a helper push
the tube outwards and hold it to move the bracket far enough.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...at-369069-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2017 5:14 PM, Matt in PDX wrote:
replying to bryan, Matt in PDX wrote:
Have you tried moving the bracket that attaches it to the door? Mine would
close slowly and then, about 2" away, snap and slam shut. I moved the
bracket
out an inch, and it works perfectly now. You might have to have a helper
push
the tube outwards and hold it to move the bracket far enough.

After eight years waiting for you to help him he gave up. He and his
wife went into the house and he's been banging her like a screen door in
a hurricane since late 2009. With all the kids they now have, he can't
afford a screen door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unquestionably Confused posted for all of us...

On 7/17/2017 5:14 PM, Matt in PDX wrote:
replying to bryan, Matt in PDX wrote:
Have you tried moving the bracket that attaches it to the door? Mine would
close slowly and then, about 2" away, snap and slam shut. I moved the
bracket
out an inch, and it works perfectly now. You might have to have a helper
push
the tube outwards and hold it to move the bracket far enough.

After eight years waiting for you to help him he gave up. He and his
wife went into the house and he's been banging her like a screen door in
a hurricane since late 2009. With all the kids they now have, he can't
afford a screen door.

Are the gerbils still there; watching?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Matt in PDX, Ryan in CT wrote:
I f^cking love you.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...at-369069-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ryan in CT, cookmj03 wrote:
Im just trying to fix my €śbanging€ť screen door...wtf did I just find
though haha?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...at-369069-.htm

Storm door closer piston isn't holding to door properly trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 5 July 25th 08 12:21 PM
Removing a door fitted with a door closer DavidM UK diy 5 November 28th 07 10:09 AM
Which door closer? Wally UK diy 3 June 5th 07 09:00 PM
Door closer butterfly UK diy 11 March 21st 07 10:14 AM
Door opener/closer for small (12" square?) door [email protected] UK diy 10 May 24th 05 10:58 AM