Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default Screen door slams - AFTER adjusting a NEW closer... Now what?

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:21:53 -0700 (PDT), bryan
wrote:

A new pneumatic closer still can't stop my screen door from slamming,
even after adjustment.

No matter how loose/tight I make the screw, I get a slamming door.
SOMETIMES the door will almost slam close, then the cylinder kicks in
and slows the door to a crawl.

Any thoughts?

I now have your problem but first had the opposite one. The door just
wouldn't close enough. I already had it set to pull as much as
possible and figured that I'd have to move the attachment on the wall
a half inch or so back from the door to provide more leverage.

So I disconnected it, and got one screw out and the drill broke! It's
only three months old so back it goes, but I decided to just leave the
door until I get it replaced.

I reconnected it, and now the door slams! I made NO adjustment other
than getting that one screw out (I'm talking those four long screws
that hold the closer to the wall). The cotter pins went back the same
way, I didn't turn the adjuster at all, I didn't change the connector
positioning on the door itself. Just magic as far as I can tell.

Well, I don't mind it slaming a bit. At least it's closing now.