Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do Simonton windows suck?

I bought a 40-year-old house last year. The previous owner had put
new windows through most of the house. In some rooms, they are
Andersen. In others Simonton (I never heard of them).

The Andersen windows are tight and warm. Our couch is in front of a
10'x5' bank of Andersen windows and I can sit with my arm on the back
of the couch and not feel a difference in temperature. The Simonton
windows are cold. I don't see the blinds move even in heavy winds but
standing in front of them, I feel cold air.

Do Simonton windows suck or are they poorly installed? If I pulled
off the frame and put some Great Stuff around the window, might it
seal it better or is it the window that is failing?

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

Christopher Nelson wrote:
I bought a 40-year-old house last year. The previous owner had put
new windows through most of the house. In some rooms, they are
Andersen. In others Simonton (I never heard of them).

The Andersen windows are tight and warm. Our couch is in front of a
10'x5' bank of Andersen windows and I can sit with my arm on the back
of the couch and not feel a difference in temperature. The Simonton
windows are cold. I don't see the blinds move even in heavy winds but
standing in front of them, I feel cold air.

Do Simonton windows suck or are they poorly installed? If I pulled
off the frame and put some Great Stuff around the window, might it
seal it better or is it the window that is failing?

Chris

First feel the glass on each window.
Maybe the andersons are double paned?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 5:37*pm, LouB wrote:
Christopher Nelson wrote:
I bought a 40-year-old house last year. *The previous owner had put
new windows through most of the house. *In some rooms, they are
Andersen. *In others Simonton (I never heard of them).

The Andersen windows are tight and warm. *Our couch is in front of a
10'x5' bank of Andersen windows and I can sit with my arm on the back
of the couch and not feel a difference in temperature. *The Simonton
windows are cold. *I don't see the blinds move even in heavy winds but
standing in front of them, I feel cold air.

Do Simonton windows suck or are they poorly installed? *If I pulled
off the frame and put some Great Stuff around the window, might it
seal it better or is it the window that is failing?

First feel the glass on each window.
Maybe the andersons are double paned?

So are the Simonton. Double paned with fake muntins between the panes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 4:25*pm, Christopher Nelson wrote:
I bought a 40-year-old house last year. *The previous owner had put
new windows through most of the house. *In some rooms, they are
Andersen. *In others Simonton (I never heard of them).

The Andersen windows are tight and warm. *Our couch is in front of a
10'x5' bank of Andersen windows and I can sit with my arm on the back
of the couch and not feel a difference in temperature. *The Simonton
windows are cold. *I don't see the blinds move even in heavy winds but
standing in front of them, I feel cold air.

Do Simonton windows suck or are they poorly installed? *If I pulled
off the frame and put some Great Stuff around the window, might it
seal it better or is it the window that is failing?

Chris

The Andersen I bet are LowEargon, the Simonton probably not and may
have other areas they dont match in performance like air infiltration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 5:25*pm, Christopher Nelson wrote:
I bought a 40-year-old house last year. *The previous owner had put
new windows through most of the house. *In some rooms, they are
Andersen. *In others Simonton (I never heard of them).

The Andersen windows are tight and warm. *Our couch is in front of a
10'x5' bank of Andersen windows and I can sit with my arm on the back
of the couch and not feel a difference in temperature. *The Simonton
windows are cold. *I don't see the blinds move even in heavy winds but
standing in front of them, I feel cold air.

Do Simonton windows suck or are they poorly installed? *If I pulled
off the frame and put some Great Stuff around the window, might it
seal it better or is it the window that is failing?

Chris

I have Simonton windows and don't have any problems or performance
issues.

The JDPower ratings give them awards:
http://www.jdpower.com/homes/ratings...odeler-ratings

Are the Simonton windows on a colder part of the house - are they
exposed to the northern wind? Are the Andersens on the south side of
the house - or buffered by trees and bushes? Are there different
windows treatments in the 2 rooms?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:25:14 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Nelson
wrote:

I bought a 40-year-old house last year. The previous owner had put
new windows through most of the house. In some rooms, they are
Andersen. In others Simonton (I never heard of them).

The Andersen windows are tight and warm. Our couch is in front of a
10'x5' bank of Andersen windows and I can sit with my arm on the back
of the couch and not feel a difference in temperature. The Simonton
windows are cold. I don't see the blinds move even in heavy winds but
standing in front of them, I feel cold air.

Do Simonton windows suck or are they poorly installed? If I pulled
off the frame and put some Great Stuff around the window, might it
seal it better or is it the window that is failing?

No way to tell from here. I'd put my money on a bad install, though.
There just isn't that much to go wrong in a window.

Simonton Prism Bronze vs. Reliabilt Survivor 5600 DerbyDad03 Home Repair 2 August 16th 07 07:23 PM
Simonton Bronze Series Replacement Windows - Opinions? DerbyDad03 Home Repair 1 August 12th 07 12:38 AM
Suck or blow? HLAH UK diy 0 July 28th 06 02:50 PM
Simonton vs. Allside vs. Weather Guard windows abitjaded Home Repair 0 February 23rd 04 05:39 PM