Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to cure dead spots in lawn

No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

--
Dave-Morris
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 3:34*pm, Dave-Morris Dave-Morris.
wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

--
Dave-Morris

I will give you the advice my wife gives me every time I say anything
about problems with the grass.

ASTROTURF!

Seriously, if the grass is dying over the same spots in your yard and
repeated efforts to resod are not working, you need to rework the soil
in those areas. There is something in the dirt that is killing the
grass and the only solution is to remove the soil and replace it. In
all probability, the builders dumped some chemicals, paint, or lye in
that area and it is causing the grass to die.

If that doesn't work...ASTROTURF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , BobR wrote:
On Apr 13, 3:34=A0pm, Dave-Morris Dave-Morris.
wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

Seriously, if the grass is dying over the same spots in your yard and
repeated efforts to resod are not working, you need to rework the soil
in those areas. There is something in the dirt that is killing the
grass and the only solution is to remove the soil and replace it. In
all probability, the builders dumped some chemicals, paint, or lye in
that area and it is causing the grass to die.

Oh, phooey. You can't say that without knowing a lot more about the area and
the problems it faces. There are numerous other things that can prevent grass
from growing in a particular area: deep shade, rocky soil, heavy clay soil,
poor/no drainage... It's irresponsible, not to mention absurd, to immediately
leap to the conclusion that the cause *must* be dumping of toxic waste.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

--
Dave-Morris

As a bare minimum, you need to state what area of the country/world
you live in and what type grass you have. Climate affects what type
grass you can grow, and different grasses have different problems
unique to them.

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave-Morris wrote:

No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

Dig out the area, removing not just the dead grass but 2-3 inches of
the soil, too. If it doesn't have any soil, or much soil, under the
sod, that may explain why that section dies out. At any rate, replace
with new topsoil, sprinkle a little bit of starter fertilizer on top,
then add a piece of sod or grass seed.

It's not unusual for lawns to have spots where the soil is thin, or
where it is heavily compacted, or very sandy. Those spots will dry out
much faster. There's also the chance that rocks or construction debris
are in that area, which again will tend to increase the tendency of
that area to dry out faster than the rest of the lawn. And sometimes a
spot is the result of a fertilizer burn or a dog wetting in that area.
Or you may have gotten poor-quality sod, if the lawn is fairly new and
you've experienced this since the sod was laid. At any rate, replacing
the soil along with reseeding or resodding usually corrects most
problems.

Oh, and take it easy when you spray for weeds. If you spray a weedy
spot too heavily, or use a too-concentrated mixture of weed killer,
you'll injure the grass plants along with the weeds. Don't mix the
product stronger than recommended on the label. You're better off
spraying a second time a week later than you are hitting it once with
a too-strong solution.

HellT

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Agree. I also get concerned when someone says that no matter how
much they water, the grass won't grow. Overwatering and doing it
wrong can also lead to fungus and disease which kills grass.

With almost nothing to go on, the list of what could be wrong is long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave-Morris wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

Have you tried a light fertilizing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:34:12 +0100, Dave-Morris
wrote:

No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

Fruit trees are stealing the moisture? It happens here, because the
roots travel under the turf. Often a dry spot for me.

But, we do have pretty blooms this spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave-Morris wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

We worked about two years to rebuild a badly neglected lawn (southern
grass). I finally got impatient enough about a dead area to start
digging. There were pavers buried with about 4" of soil. Dug up all of
the pavers; all is well.

How many dead spots? How large? Large proportion of lawn? Sunny,
shady or both? Got grubs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave-Morris" wrote in
message news

No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

--
Dave-Morris

Sounds basic, but find out what is causing it. Dogs repeatedly urinating in
that spot might be it. Maybe someone used some fill dirt that had oil in
it. There are spots caused by molds. Until you get to square one, nothing
will help. A professional landscaper who knows his dirt, or perhaps the
local agricultural agent or co-op might be able to run a soil test and tell
you definitely, quickly, and free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 17:44:37 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Dave-Morris wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

Have you tried a light fertilizing?

Have you checked for large rocks, under the surface and then removed?

Then feed the lawn area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is that ASTRO or AFRO?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"BobR" wrote in message

If that doesn't work...ASTROTURF.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Think of the federal funding for cleanup. Do it for the
children, man! And the money doesn't hurt.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
It's irresponsible, not to mention absurd, to immediately
leap to the conclusion that the cause *must* be dumping of
toxic waste.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What kind of broadcaster do you use with a bag of light?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F" wrote in message

Have you tried a light fertilizing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 17:14:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?
Seriously, if the grass is dying over the same spots in your yard and
repeated efforts to resod are not working, you need to rework the soil
in those areas. Â*There is something in the dirt that is killing the
grass and the only solution is to remove the soil and replace it. Â*In
all probability, the builders dumped some chemicals, paint, or lye in
that area and it is causing the grass to die.

Oh, phooey. You can't say that without knowing a lot more about the area and
the problems it faces. There are numerous other things that can prevent grass
from growing in a particular area: deep shade, rocky soil, heavy clay soil,
poor/no drainage... It's irresponsible, not to mention absurd, to immediately
leap to the conclusion that the cause *must* be dumping of toxic waste.

Agree. I also get concerned when someone says that no matter how
much they water, the grass won't grow. Overwatering and doing it
wrong can also lead to fungus and disease which kills grass.

With almost nothing to go on, the list of what could be wrong is long.

I've got one spot that drains poorly and doesn't grow good roots.
Dies off every summer. One of these years I'll dig it up and spring
for one of those BIG bags of topsoil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Is that ASTRO or AFRO?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Same thing

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Think of the federal funding for cleanup. Do it for the
children, man! And the money doesn't hurt.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.exmormon.org

Yeah, like welfare for polygamists.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

Well since there may be a thousand different reasons, we can't
make really helpful suggestions until we know more.

How a bout a few answers.

What part of what country is the lawn located?
How long have you lived there?
What kind of grass is the primary grass in the turf?
Is this spot in the sun or shade?
How often do you fertilize?
How old is the lawn?
Do neighbors have like problems?
Is this only one spot in your lawn?
Do you have a dog?
Do weed grow in the spot?
What is the ground texture like? (hard soft..)
Is the soil moist or dry?

Answer those and then maybe we can offer some answers, suggestions or
maybe new questions.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Dave-Morris wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

There's only two ways to go -- guess or find out what's wrong.

If there isn't something physical in the area (something like the other
responder w/ the tale of buried bricks), then you need soil samples to
find out what the problem(s) actually are.

Start w/ call to local county extension office.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Gee Doug, don't get your panties in a wad. I said in all probability
and that is true rather you like it or not. Most builders use the
yard to dump construction waste and anyone who has ever observed a
neighborhood under construction knows this. Yes, there are other
causes but the solution in most cases will be to dig out the area and
either replace or amend the soil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 8:37*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Is that ASTRO or AFRO?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"BobR" wrote in message

If that doesn't work...ASTROTURF.

Since I lived in Houston for 40 years...it is ASTROTURF. That was the
original name used when the AstroDome was built and they installed the
first artificial grass. The name is no longer in use except by us old
codgers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , BobR wrote:
On Apr 13, 6:05=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .=

com, BobR wrote:

On Apr 13, 3:34=3DA0pm, Dave-Morris Dave-Morris.
wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?
Seriously, if the grass is dying over the same spots in your yard and
repeated efforts to resod are not working, you need to rework the soil
in those areas. =A0There is something in the dirt that is killing the
grass and the only solution is to remove the soil and replace it. =A0In
all probability, the builders dumped some chemicals, paint, or lye in
that area and it is causing the grass to die.

Oh, phooey. You can't say that without knowing a lot more about the area and
the problems it faces. There are numerous other things that can prevent grass
from growing in a particular area: deep shade, rocky soil, heavy clay soil,
poor/no drainage... It's irresponsible, not to mention absurd, to immediately
leap to the conclusion that the cause *must* be dumping of toxic waste.

Gee Doug, don't get your panties in a wad. I said in all probability
and that is true rather you like it or not.

No, it is not true that "in all probability the builders dumped some
chemicals, paint, or lye in that area."

Most builders use the
yard to dump construction waste and anyone who has ever observed a
neighborhood under construction knows this.

Construction debris, yes. "Chemicals, paint, or lye", no. What "chemicals" are
used on-site in building a house? What does a housebuilder use lye for?
Dumping paint, maybe -- but latex paint won't prevent grass from growing, and
what builder uses oil-base paint now?

You simply don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Yes, there are other
causes but the solution in most cases will be to dig out the area and
either replace or amend the soil.

Without seeing it, and with as little information as the OP provided, you
can't possibly say with any degree of certainty what is preventing grass from
growing in that spot. There may be a concrete slab there, for all you know,
with only half an inch of soil on top of it. Or perhaps that's where the
excavation contractor dumped a bunch of clay from digging the foundation.
There are a hundred possible causes, and it's simply not true that "in all
probability" it's due to dumping of toxic chemicals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message
On Apr 13, 8:37 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Is that ASTRO or AFRO?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"BobR" wrote in message

If that doesn't work...ASTROTURF.

Since I lived in Houston for 40 years...it is ASTROTURF. That was the
original name used when the AstroDome was built and they installed the
first artificial grass. The name is no longer in use except by us old
codgers.

reply: It was funny how the "Astro" wave came and went. The big stadium,
the special turf, the initial problems with the air conditioning, lots and
lots of historic games, demolition derbies, Evel Knievel jumping there
several times, all sorts of things. I guess it is still there. I worked as
a bartender at the Astroworld Hotel for two years.

Maynard

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Deny all you want but you simply are in denial and need to do some on
site observation.

Most builders use the
yard to dump construction waste and anyone who has ever observed a
neighborhood under construction knows this.

Construction debris, yes. "Chemicals, paint, or lye", no. What "chemicals" are
used on-site in building a house? What does a housebuilder use lye for?
Dumping paint, maybe -- but latex paint won't prevent grass from growing, and
what builder uses oil-base paint now?

You simply don't have a clue what you're talking about.

And you are in total denial of common practice.

Yes, there are other
causes but the solution in most cases will be to dig out the area and
either replace or amend the soil.

Without seeing it, and with as little information as the OP provided, you
can't possibly say with any degree of certainty what is preventing grass from
growing in that spot. There may be a concrete slab there, for all you know,
with only half an inch of soil on top of it. Or perhaps that's where the
excavation contractor dumped a bunch of clay from digging the foundation.
There are a hundred possible causes, and it's simply not true that "in all *
probability" it's due to dumping of toxic chemicals.- Hide quoted text -

Please learn to READ and COMPREHEND. I didn't say with certainty but
did say probability and the probability remains that whatever is
killing the grass is probably the result of construction dumping.
That may be chemicals, buried construction materials, dumped concrete,
or any number of other things. As for lye being used, lye is a
component of cement which is often washed down from the trucks
delivering concrete to a constuction site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 10:20*am, "maynard" wrote:
"BobR" wrote in message

On Apr 13, 8:37 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Is that ASTRO or AFRO?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"BobR" wrote in message

If that doesn't work...ASTROTURF.

Since I lived in Houston for 40 years...it is ASTROTURF. *That was the
original name used when the AstroDome was built and they installed the
first artificial grass. *The name is no longer in use except by us old
codgers.

reply: *It was funny how the "Astro" wave came and went. *The big stadium,
the special turf, the initial problems with the air conditioning, lots and
lots of historic games, demolition derbies, Evel Knievel jumping there
several times, all sorts of things. *I guess it is still there. *I worked as
a bartender at the Astroworld Hotel for two years.

Maynard

Yes it is still there but it may not be for much longer. Since they
built the new baseball stadium downtown and the new football stadium
next door, the place has fallen into disrepair. I loved going to the
dome for all sorts of events. It was a great stadium and still could
be used for any number of different events but with all the event
space around it, they just don't seem to care. I keep hoping someone
will come up with a permanent year around use for it but I doubt it
will happen and we will see it torn down very soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobR wrote:

Since I lived in Houston for 40 years...it is ASTROTURF. That was the
original name used when the AstroDome was built and they installed the
first artificial grass. The name is no longer in use except by us old
codgers.

The name "Astroturf" has come back into vogue. The liberal blogosphere is
using it as a label for the "Tea Party" movement. The implication is that
Tea Parties are fake grass-roots demonstrations, coordinated and financed by
Fox News.

Posted to alt.home.repair
g g is offline

On Apr 13, 4:34*pm, Dave-Morris Dave-Morris.
wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

Check the PH

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message

On Apr 13, 8:37 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Is that ASTRO or AFRO?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
"BobR" wrote in message
[...]

Yep. Pontiac MI, a burb of Detroit, has the 'Silverdome' that has been
sitting empty a few years, too, but the city is too broke to tear it
down. Indianapolis tore down their not-very-old arena a couple years
ago. Personally, I think it is criminal stupidity that these venues have
such a short lifespan. Almost all of them have tax money in them
somewhere, either directly, or through roads/water/sewer that was
upgraded to handle them. A commercial-grade space should last for 50-75
years minimum, not 20 or 30. Hell, a trailer lasts that long. They did
it better in the old days- if it hadn't been stripped for parts (like to
build the Vatican with), the Colosseum in Rome would probably still be
in usable condition. If I was the kindly dictator in charge, the team
owners would be personally liable for the demo costs if the places
didn't make it till their 50th birthday- indicates ****-poor planning on
somebody's part, and the taxpayers should not be on the hook for it. Of
course, if I was dictator, no public money would have gone into building
the damn things.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message

On Apr 13, 8:37 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Is that ASTRO or AFRO?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
"BobR" wrote in message

[...]

Its usually not a case of the building being so bad as the desire for a
fancier building. Giants stadium in NJ is a prime example of this.
Also, they often do not maintain the buildings very well.

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message

On Apr 13, 8:37 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Is that ASTRO or AFRO?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
"BobR" wrote in message

[...]

Lou- Hide quoted text -

You hit the focal point of the entire deal. The AstroDome was one of
the greatest stadiums in the country but it just wasn't enough for Bud
Adams and his football team. He wanted his OWN stadium that he would
have to share with the baseball team. He pitched a fit and had them
spend millions to upgrade but wasn't satisfied. He then threatened to
move the team if the taxpayers wouldn't build him a very expensive NEW
stadium just for football. They refused and he move to Tenn. Good
damn riddance but that wasn't the end.

Next, the Astros decided the dome wasn't working for them and a new
downtown stadium was built. Then they decided to negotiate a deal for
a new NFL football team and the rodeo chipped in to convince the
voters to build a new football stadium right next to the dome.
Following all of that bull****...the Houston Rockets weren't satisfied
with everyone else getting new diggs and they had to have a new
facility...all at taxpayer expense. Now I live in Arlington Tx and
guess what, the idiots here have voted to pay a large portion of the
new Dallas Cowboys stadium in spite of the fact that the DALLAS
Cowboys haven't played a game in Dallas in 30 years.

Sometimes the taxpayers can really be stupid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , BobR wrote:
On Apr 14, 10:04=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .=

com, BobR wrote:

On Apr 13, 6:05=3DA0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article =

ps.=3D
com, BobR wrote:

On Apr 13, 3:34=3D3DA0pm, Dave-Morris Dave-Morris.
wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I do=

n't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice gr=

ass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?
Seriously, if the grass is dying over the same spots in your yard and
repeated efforts to resod are not working, you need to rework the soi=

in those areas. =3DA0There is something in the dirt that is killing t=

he
grass and the only solution is to remove the soil and replace it. =3D=

A0In
all probability, the builders dumped some chemicals, paint, or lye in
that area and it is causing the grass to die.

Oh, phooey. You can't say that without knowing a lot more about the ar=

ea and
the problems it faces. There are numerous other things that can preven=

t grass
from growing in a particular area: deep shade, rocky soil, heavy clay =

soil,
poor/no drainage... It's irresponsible, not to mention absurd, to imme=

diately
leap to the conclusion that the cause *must* be dumping of toxic waste=

..

Gee Doug, don't get your panties in a wad. =A0I said in all probability
and that is true rather you like it or not. =A0

No, it is not true that "in all probability the builders dumped some
chemicals, paint, or lye in that area."

Deny all you want but you simply are in denial and need to do some on
site observation.

I used to work construction. I've seen what happens.

Most builders use the
yard to dump construction waste and anyone who has ever observed a
neighborhood under construction knows this.

Construction debris, yes. "Chemicals, paint, or lye", no. What "chemicals" are
used on-site in building a house? What does a housebuilder use lye for?
Dumping paint, maybe -- but latex paint won't prevent grass from growing, and
what builder uses oil-base paint now?

You simply don't have a clue what you're talking about.

And you are in total denial of common practice.

No, you simply don't have a clue. Lye?? Come on, don't be ridiculous. What is
a home builder doing with lye?

Yes, there are other
causes but the solution in most cases will be to dig out the area and
either replace or amend the soil.

Without seeing it, and with as little information as the OP provided, you
can't possibly say with any degree of certainty what is preventing grass from
growing in that spot. There may be a concrete slab there, for all you know,
with only half an inch of soil on top of it. Or perhaps that's where the
excavation contractor dumped a bunch of clay from digging the foundation.
There are a hundred possible causes, and it's simply not true that "in all
probability" it's due to dumping of toxic chemicals.- Hide quoted text -

Please learn to READ and COMPREHEND. I didn't say with certainty but
did say probability

*You* need to learn to read and comprehend. I know perfectly well you said
"probability" -- I even quoted it.

and the probability remains that whatever is
killing the grass is probably the result of construction dumping.

That's simply false.

It's *possibly* the result of construction dumping. It's also possibly the
result of poor drainage, or a hidden concrete slab an inch under the surface,
or deep shade, or clay left over from the foundation excavation, or a dozen
other things -- and without investigating it on-site, it's not possible to say
that it's "probably" any one of those things.
That may be chemicals, buried construction materials, dumped concrete,
or any number of other things. As for lye being used, lye is a
component of cement

No, it is not. Lye is NaOH; portland cement is CaO.

Like I said -- you don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Then why are you lying about it?

Most builders use the
yard to dump construction waste and anyone who has ever observed a
neighborhood under construction knows this.

Construction debris, yes. "Chemicals, paint, or lye", no. What "chemicals" are
used on-site in building a house? What does a housebuilder use lye for?
Dumping paint, maybe -- but latex paint won't prevent grass from growing, and
what builder uses oil-base paint now?

You simply don't have a clue what you're talking about.

And you are in total denial of common practice.

No, you simply don't have a clue. Lye?? Come on, don't be ridiculous. What is
a home builder doing with lye?

And YOU either are lying about being in construction or have turned
your back on all of the dumping that is common by the construction
crews. I have see lye used by construcion crews preparing for
concrete pours. Lye is also used in some concrete and is leached out
when concrete trucks was out there trucks after dumping their loads.
Was down a few trucks in the same spot and you won't get much to grow
in that spot. The list of dumped materials goe on and on.

[...]

In your opinion and only in your opinion.

It's *possibly* the result of construction dumping. It's also possibly the
result of poor drainage, or a hidden concrete slab an inch under the surface,
or deep shade, or clay left over from the foundation excavation, or a dozen
other things -- and without investigating it on-site, it's not possible to say
that it's "probably" any one of those things.

Yes, I know about all those HIDDEN SLABS an inch under the surface.
They are everywhere!

That may be chemicals, buried construction materials, dumped concrete,
or any number of other things. *As for lye being used, lye is a
component of cement

No, it is not. Lye is NaOH; portland cement is CaO.

Like I said -- you don't have a clue what you're talking about.-

You might check again, lye is most definately used in concrete and if
you were in construction as you claim, you would know that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave-Morris wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

Hi,
Have ever done dethatching or aerating the lawn in the spring?
For the dead spot rake the area hard and remove dead grass roots
and soil. Fill with good fresh top soil. Use grass seed mixture
made for patching. Keep te area moist until seeds germinate.
Also do you feed the lawn with good food(fertilizer) regularly?
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobR wrote:

snipped a little:-))

Sometimes the taxpayers can really be stupid.

Sometimes????????????

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , BobR wrote:

And YOU either are lying about being in construction or have turned
your back on all of the dumping that is common by the construction
crews. I have see lye used by construcion crews preparing for
concrete pours. Lye is also used in some concrete and is leached out
when concrete trucks was out there trucks after dumping their loads.

Lye and Portland cement are not the same thing.

Was down a few trucks in the same spot and you won't get much to grow
in that spot. The list of dumped materials goe on and on.

Oh, I agree -- what I'm objecting to is you leaping to the totally unwarranted
conclusion that that's the most likely explanation for a random dead spot in
the lawn. There are many, many other explanations, most of them at least
equally likely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 7:50*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , BobR wrote:

And YOU either are lying about being in construction or have turned
your back on all of the dumping that is common by the construction
crews. *I have see lye used by construcion crews preparing for
concrete pours. *Lye is also used in some concrete and is leached out
when concrete trucks was out there trucks after dumping their loads.

Lye and Portland cement are not the same thing.

Was down a few trucks in the same spot and you won't get much to grow
in that spot. *The list of dumped materials goe on and on.

Oh, I agree -- what I'm objecting to is you leaping to the totally unwarranted
conclusion that that's the most likely explanation for a random dead spot in
the lawn. There are many, many other explanations, most of them at least
equally likely.

Geez, with so little info given, it could be anything that's causing
this guys "dead spots". Could be grubs, other insects, or disease
for all we know. I agree with Doug, you're wildly jumping to
conclusions that it's probably construction debris related. I don't
know what goes on where anyone else lives, but here in NJ builders
can't use the construction site as a dump. If they do, they can
expect a fine and visit from the DEP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 5:57*am, LouB wrote:
BobR wrote:

snipped a little:-))

Sometimes the taxpayers can really be stupid.

Sometimes????????????

Ok, Ok, I will give you that one. BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 6:50*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , BobR wrote:

And YOU either are lying about being in construction or have turned
your back on all of the dumping that is common by the construction
crews. *I have see lye used by construcion crews preparing for
concrete pours. *Lye is also used in some concrete and is leached out
when concrete trucks was out there trucks after dumping their loads.

Lye and Portland cement are not the same thing.

I never said it was. There are a number of different mixtures used in
concrete and lye is a part of most of those mixtures. The only one to
mention Protland cement was you.

Was down a few trucks in the same spot and you won't get much to grow
in that spot. *The list of dumped materials goe on and on.

Oh, I agree -- what I'm objecting to is you leaping to the totally unwarranted
conclusion that that's the most likely explanation for a random dead spot in
the lawn. There are many, many other explanations, most of them at least
equally likely.

Well, you leap to your conclusions and I will leap to mine. Mine were
based on observation. When I had my house built 30+ years ago it was
one if the first in the neighborhood. Since I worked out of my home
at the time I had the chance to watch most of the homes in the
neighborhood being built. Not only were bags of lye used for the
preparation of my homes foundation, I watched it being used on most of
the homes around me. (At least those constructed by the better
builders.) They mixed it with the foundation sand and dirt before
laying down a plastic liner. I am not sure of the reason for its use
but it was used. I also watched as the concrete trucks constantly
washed out their trucks after unloading and they always seemed to dump
in the same spots and the wash it it. In addition, I watched the
construction crews dump all sorts of crap on site from paints to motor
oil and bury a lot of construction materials.

Over the following years it was interesting to see the various
problems my neighbors had with their yards. Since most of them tried
to grow turf lawns it was easy to know what was causing them the most
grief. I had a couple of areas that were early problems as well until
I gave up on trying to grow grass in heavy shade and dug out the soil
to built up the yard for landscaping. The subdivision was cut from a
dense forest and most of the builders had opted to remove almost all
of the trees. Since I got in early and picked my lot, I retained
almost all of my trees. Gave me a totally different set of problems
from most of my neighbors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , BobR wrote:

Well, you leap to your conclusions and I will leap to mine. Mine were
based on observation. When I had my house built 30+ years ago it was
one if the first in the neighborhood. Since I worked out of my home
at the time I had the chance to watch most of the homes in the
neighborhood being built. Not only were bags of lye used for the
preparation of my homes foundation, I watched it being used on most of
the homes around me. (At least those constructed by the better
builders.) They mixed it with the foundation sand and dirt before
laying down a plastic liner. I am not sure of the reason for its use
but it was used.

Ahhh, now I understand why you think they use lye in concrete. They don't.
You're thinking of *lime*. It's NOT the same.

Craftsman lawn mower scalps lawn- need advice George Abbot Home Repair 14 May 31st 08 01:27 PM
Cure from vitiligo vitiligo Electronics Repair 0 April 29th 07 03:48 PM
Repairing lawn with weeds and bald spots tenplay Home Repair 16 May 11th 06 06:48 PM
Re-Cure Plaster Leo Home Repair 0 February 17th 05 12:57 AM
Will this poly cure? Silvan Woodworking 6 November 25th 03 04:21 PM