Posted to alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default How to cure dead spots in lawn

On Apr 14, 10:27*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , BobR wrote:

On Apr 14, 10:04=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .=

com, BobR wrote:

On Apr 13, 6:05=3DA0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article =

ps.=3D
com, BobR wrote:

On Apr 13, 3:34=3D3DA0pm, Dave-Morris Dave-Morris.
wrote:
No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I do=

n't
have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice gr=

ass
grow in these spots. Any suggestions?
Seriously, if the grass is dying over the same spots in your yard and
repeated efforts to resod are not working, you need to rework the soi=

in those areas. =3DA0There is something in the dirt that is killing t=

he
grass and the only solution is to remove the soil and replace it. =3D=

A0In
all probability, the builders dumped some chemicals, paint, or lye in
that area and it is causing the grass to die.

Oh, phooey. You can't say that without knowing a lot more about the ar=

ea and
the problems it faces. There are numerous other things that can preven=

t grass
from growing in a particular area: deep shade, rocky soil, heavy clay =

soil,
poor/no drainage... It's irresponsible, not to mention absurd, to imme=

diately
leap to the conclusion that the cause *must* be dumping of toxic waste=

..

Gee Doug, don't get your panties in a wad. =A0I said in all probability
and that is true rather you like it or not. =A0

No, it is not true that "in all probability the builders dumped some
chemicals, paint, or lye in that area."

Deny all you want but you simply are in denial and need to do some on
site observation.

I used to work construction. I've seen what happens.

Then why are you lying about it?

Most builders use the
yard to dump construction waste and anyone who has ever observed a
neighborhood under construction knows this.

Construction debris, yes. "Chemicals, paint, or lye", no. What "chemicals" are
used on-site in building a house? What does a housebuilder use lye for?
Dumping paint, maybe -- but latex paint won't prevent grass from growing, and
what builder uses oil-base paint now?

You simply don't have a clue what you're talking about.

And you are in total denial of common practice.

No, you simply don't have a clue. Lye?? Come on, don't be ridiculous. What is
a home builder doing with lye?

And YOU either are lying about being in construction or have turned
your back on all of the dumping that is common by the construction
crews. I have see lye used by construcion crews preparing for
concrete pours. Lye is also used in some concrete and is leached out
when concrete trucks was out there trucks after dumping their loads.
Was down a few trucks in the same spot and you won't get much to grow
in that spot. The list of dumped materials goe on and on.

Yes, there are other
causes but the solution in most cases will be to dig out the area and
either replace or amend the soil.

Without seeing it, and with as little information as the OP provided, you
can't possibly say with any degree of certainty what is preventing grass from
growing in that spot. There may be a concrete slab there, for all you know,
with only half an inch of soil on top of it. Or perhaps that's where the
excavation contractor dumped a bunch of clay from digging the foundation.
There are a hundred possible causes, and it's simply not true that "in all
probability" it's due to dumping of toxic chemicals.- Hide quoted text -

Please learn to READ and COMPREHEND. *I didn't say with certainty but
did say probability

*You* need to learn to read and comprehend. I know perfectly well you said
"probability" -- I even quoted it.

and the probability remains that whatever is
killing the grass is probably the result of construction dumping.

That's simply false.

In your opinion and only in your opinion.

It's *possibly* the result of construction dumping. It's also possibly the
result of poor drainage, or a hidden concrete slab an inch under the surface,
or deep shade, or clay left over from the foundation excavation, or a dozen
other things -- and without investigating it on-site, it's not possible to say
that it's "probably" any one of those things.

Yes, I know about all those HIDDEN SLABS an inch under the surface.
They are everywhere!

That may be chemicals, buried construction materials, dumped concrete,
or any number of other things. *As for lye being used, lye is a
component of cement

No, it is not. Lye is NaOH; portland cement is CaO.

Like I said -- you don't have a clue what you're talking about.-

You might check again, lye is most definately used in concrete and if
you were in construction as you claim, you would know that.