Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hang drywall and paint

any tips n tricks to cutting and hanging dry wall and making
the seems disappear with that tape/paste materials?

any tips on painting to make wall look solid, without it looking like
it has those deep lines in it?

thnx
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pedro Sanchez IV" wrote in message
any tips n tricks to cutting and hanging dry wall and making
the seems disappear with that tape/paste materials?

any tips on painting to make wall look solid, without it looking like
it has those deep lines in it?

thnx

....and maybe you'd also like to know how to hang the doors, lay the carpet,
replace the furnace and rebrick the chimney too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 3:47*pm, Pedro Sanchez IV wrote:
* * * * any tips n tricks to cutting and hanging dry wall and making
the seems disappear with that tape/paste materials?

any tips on painting to make wall look solid, without it looking like
it has those deep lines in it?

Go to your local public library and take out the Time Life book on
drywalling.

Or, go to Home Depot and buy one.

Check your local listings for DIY, HGTV, TLC, and PBS. There's bound
to be a home improvement show on where they go through drywalling in
excruciating detail in the next 48 hours.

It's not rocket science. Just don't expect perfection out of your
first attempt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article rvmkt4d2qqra2e1mpk8e2u34mfl4cp7h7e@PRIVATE, Pedro Sanchez IV wrote:
any tips n tricks to cutting and hanging dry wall and making
the seems disappear with that tape/paste materials?

Practice. I'm not trying to be rude -- drywall is just one of
those skills.

It's a bit like asking for tips to become a great pianist.
You need a good teacher and lots and lots of practice.

any tips on painting to make wall look solid, without it looking like
it has those deep lines in it?

Textured finish, will hide a lot of imperfections.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 6, 2:47*pm, Pedro Sanchez IV wrote:
* * * * any tips n tricks to cutting and hanging dry wall and making
the seems disappear with that tape/paste materials?

any tips on painting to make wall look solid, without it looking like
it has those deep lines in it?

thnx

Everything you need to know is in the USG Construction Handbook online
as a 357 page PDF file.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hire the job out. Truthfully, if you've never done drywall and painting,
the best advice to save you time, disappointment, and probably money in the
long run is to hire it out to professionals.

If you are willing to be satisfied with the knowledge that you did the work
despite any flaws, delays, and the expense of probably having to buy a
couple extra sheets of drywall to cover the miscuts and breaks, an extra tub
or 2 of drywall mud as it takes you a couple extra coats to get it done and
account for the globs dropped along the way, and twice (or more) the time a
professional would take, you can find a lot of good books with tips on doing
the job. But practice is the key to getting a professional look.

"Pedro Sanchez IV" wrote in message
any tips n tricks to cutting and hanging dry wall and making
the seems disappear with that tape/paste materials?

any tips on painting to make wall look solid, without it looking like
it has those deep lines in it?

thnx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Ditto on hiring a pro...Watch him and take notes , photos , ask questions ,
ect for next time....Try google for info if you MUST do it yourself...Way
to much to type out here if you don't already know the basics....Good
luck...

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Dang- did it again- meant to reply to group, and only sent to previous
poster instead. (and I've only been on Usenet since the mid 80's...)
---------

I'll third that recommendation. I might do a small patch myself, but for
anything extensive, it is worth it to hire a pro, for the lack of damage
to your blood pressure if nothing else. They make it look so freaking
easy....

I grew up in construction, I have the drywall-finishing knowledge in my
head, but somehow my hands can't translate that knowledge into doing
things the right way. No substitute for hands-on experience and constant
practice. Not like framing or trim work, where you can do one step at a
time. More like finishing concrete, where once you start, you have to
keep chugging.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

,
ect for next time....Try google for info if you MUST do it yourself...Way
to much to type out here if you don't already know the basics....Good
luck...

I find it pretty easy but as a kid I did a lot of body work and Bondo
reminds me of drywall mud. Take a look on youtube they have a lot of how to
video's. Try a small area and see how it goes. But if your not good with
your hands then let a pro do it.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are going to paint it - be sure to rent a machine to do the
texturing. This will take away from those lines quite a bit. If you have
flat drywall - everything shows.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pedro Sanchez IV" wrote:
any tips n tricks to cutting and hanging dry wall and making
the seems disappear with that tape/paste materials?

any tips on painting to make wall look solid, without it looking like
it has those deep lines in it?

Measure the drywall twice, then cut it.

Apply a light coat of stuff to the joints, apply some tape over the seam,
then another light coat over that.

Feather it out twice with wider thingies, using the finish stuff last, and
sanding it in between.

When it's all dry, you paint it.

It's a pretty easy skill to learn if you go at it slowly and deliberately.
It helps to do your first wall somewhere like the garage where a small
booboo can be overlooked.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 3:01*pm, "Marshall Tucker" wrote:
"Pedro Sanchez IV" wrote in messagenews:rvmkt4d2qqra2e1mpk8e2u34mfl4cp7h7e@PRI VATE...

any tips n tricks to cutting and hanging dry wall and making
the seems disappear with that tape/paste materials?

any tips on painting to make wall look solid, without it looking like
it has those deep lines in it?

thnx

...and maybe you'd also like to know how to hang the doors, lay the carpet,
replace the furnace and rebrick the chimney too?

Mmm...let me ask my Mexican side kick on that one sweetie.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 15:47:15 -0400, Pedro Sanchez IV
wrote:

any tips n tricks to cutting and hanging dry wall and making
the seems disappear with that tape/paste materials?

any tips on painting to make wall look solid, without it looking like
it has those deep lines in it?

thnx

Check your local library. There are books on drywalling and painting
that cover many of the techniques to make the job easier. I found
careful inspection greatly improved results.
Posted to alt.home.repair

----wants to see his papers.