Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Replacing plywood siding with stone?

What is involved with replacing the T1-11 plwood siding with stone /
stone veneer? Is it even possible? I assume all of the trim would
have to be removed. Our house has the fake stone - Lavastone on the
front and plywood siding on the sides and back of the house. I am
just tired of painting and replacing rotted siding, whenever we do
paint. In addition there is a large semi-circular bow window on the
back of the house that has this siding, and I have no idea how they
applied it...maybe with kerfs? Ideas?

Cheers
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 21, 11:17*am, " wrote:
What is involved with replacing the T1-11 plwood siding with stone /
stone veneer? *Is it even possible? *I assume all of the trim would
have to be removed. *Our house has the fake stone - Lavastone on the
front and plywood siding on the sides and back of the house. *I am
just tired of painting and replacing rotted siding, whenever we do
paint. *In addition there is a large semi-circular bow window on the
back of the house that has this siding, and I have no idea how they
applied it...maybe with kerfs? *Ideas?

Cheers

Have a look at some of the unique kinds of vinyl siding now on the
market. Giving the pace a whole new look and getting rid of the
maintenance could be just what you need. If it clashes with
neighborhood styles, don't worry about it. Soon enough the other
houses will be redone just like yours if it is a nice job. Happens all
the time in many towns. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Mar 21, 11:17 am, " wrote:
[...]

Hardie-Plank makes a T1-11 style panel, and would last even longer. I
know some people love vinyl, but it looks cheap to me, even the high-end
stuff. And it ISN'T maintenance-free, especially if you live in a muggy
climate. As soon as it goes slightly chalky, the green stuff starts
growing on the shady sides, and you have to wash it down with something
every year or two.

--
aem sends...
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Joe wrote:
On Mar 21, 11:17 am, " wrote:
[...]

I would have thought *any* material would grow 'green stuff' on the north
side. Although, I do haved to admit that my T1-11 doesn't but the plastic
planter does (?). I think that people choose the vinyl because they get
tired of the staining every 5 years and now, with the removal of oil-based
paints and stains from the market, we will no doubt have to do it more
often. Hardi's cement board is eventually going to need painting. I like
the rustic look of the T1-11 which is what keeps me from the Hardi stuff.
Have you seen the vinyl stuff that's supposed to look like cedar? YIKES!!!
Is that U-gly or what!? No flame, aem. JMHO

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

C & E wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Joe wrote:
On Mar 21, 11:17 am, " wrote:
[...]

The Hardie T1-11 sample I saw today looked almost like my OSB-based
T1-11, grooves and texture, other than the grooves being real shallow.
They claimed they had it in mixed-in colors, as long as could live with
a factory color, no paint required for years and years. They are coming
out for an estimate this week. It IS expensive, so I probably won't be
able to afford to do the whole place at once. I'll probably start with
the faux chimney stack that the woodpeckers keep boring holes in, and
maybe the sunward side where the cracks are showing up. This OSB T1-11
is a poor imitation of the Real Plywood based stuff we had when I was a
kid. It held up a LOT better to weather. If it turns out I can't afford
the Hardie, I'll have to look at real plywood T1-11, if it is still
available, and if I can find somebody I can trust to put it up right,
including the pre-priming and Z-flashing. This house would look stupid
in horizontal siding, and I haven't seen any vertical other than real
cedar ship-lap around here, which is way out of my price range.

(What idiot decided OSB was usable for weather applications?)

--
aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

The Hardie T1-11 sample I saw today looked almost like my OSB-based T1-11,
grooves and texture, other than the grooves being real shallow. They
claimed they had it in mixed-in colors, as long as could live with a
factory color, no paint required for years and years. They are coming out
for an estimate this week. It IS expensive, so I probably won't be able
to afford to do the whole place at once. I'll probably start with the
faux chimney stack that the woodpeckers keep boring holes in, and maybe
the sunward side where the cracks are showing up. This OSB T1-11 is a

poor imitation of the Real Plywood based stuff we had when I was a kid.
It held up a LOT to weather. If it turns out I can't afford the Hardie,
I'll have to look at real plywood T1-11, if it is still available, and
if I can find somebody I can trust to put it up right, including the
pre-priming and Z-flashing. This house would look stupid in horizontal
siding, and I haven't seen any vertical other than real cedar ship-lap
around here, which is way out of my price range. (What idiot decided
OSB was usable for weather applications?)
--
aem sends...

I understand, aem. The T1-11 on our house was put on in 1974 - that's 39
years!! OSB won't/ can't have that kind of longevity. Unfortunately, mine
is beginning to delaminate and is drying out with top layer curling on the
south side. I have been looking for a lower maintenance product for years
but I guess my stipulations are too stringent; it has to be a vertical
siding, it has to be rustic.
My explanation on these is that this is little more than a long rancher but
the hip roof and the T1-11 are the only things that makes it special. Yea,
it's not everyone's
cup of tea but it's mine.