Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I apply stone tile directly to plywood?

Hi,
I have 4x4 natural stone tiles that I'm using in a completely dry area.
Is it necessary for me to use a backerboard product or can I just apply
the tiles directly over the plywood. I'm new to tiling and this is my
first project...if I can apply directly over plywood, what sort of
adhesive/mortar should I use?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

I have 4x4 natural stone tiles that I'm using in a completely dry area.
Is it necessary for me to use a backerboard product or can I just apply
the tiles directly over the plywood. I'm new to tiling and this is my
first project...if I can apply directly over plywood, what sort of
adhesive/mortar should I use?

I was about to do the front of my FP with Eldorado (faux) stone and dropped
into the local rock masons/concrete supply place to get some mortar. The
guy in there said that they're using a lot of construction advesive in the
tubes now rather than mortar so thats what I went with. Worked well. You
can get it at any bulding supply place such as HD or Lowes. There are
probably half a dozen versions deppending what you want to "glue". I had
already stapled stucco lath to the plywood face to give the mortar something
to grip on. I don't know if I'd go right on the ply w/o the lath. Read the
instructions on the tube or contact the manufacturer (they nearly all have a
website on their products now) for advice. I did brace the rows of "stone"
as I laid them so gravity didnt try to pull them off til the adhesive dried.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i use the tile glue on plywood on walls,not mortar

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed

On Sat, 6 May 2006 15:52:48 -0400, wrote:

Fantastic!

I was lucky enough to make it home in 68

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Need help with off-center shower drain project David Roberts Home Repair 6 November 6th 04 12:15 AM
can I apply exterior semi gloss directly over flat exterior paint? Bruce Millar Home Repair 7 April 14th 04 05:56 AM