Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 12V under cabinet halogens way too bright

I want to use these for accent lighting, not as task lights.
Unfortunately, a dimmer doesn't work with an electronic
'transformer', and a magnetic transformer costs more than the lamps.
Could I simply use a lower voltage electronic transformer? If so,
how low should I go to get, say, half as much light output?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:22:42 -0500, Mike Hartigan wrote:
I want to use these for accent lighting, not as task lights.
Unfortunately, a dimmer doesn't work with an electronic
'transformer', and a magnetic transformer costs more than the lamps.
Could I simply use a lower voltage electronic transformer? If so,
how low should I go to get, say, half as much light output?

WTF don't you install lower wattage bulbs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 11:55*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:22:42 -0500, Mike Hartigan wrote:
I want to use these for accent lighting, not as task lights. *
Unfortunately, a dimmer doesn't work with an electronic
'transformer', and a magnetic transformer costs more than the lamps. *
Could I simply use a lower voltage electronic transformer? *If so,
how low should I go to get, say, half as much light output?

WTF don't you install lower wattage bulbs?

Think I've seen those halogen bulbs from 15 to 50 watts. That's a
ratio of 30% to 100%.
problem is those halogen are very bright small point sources of light,
not really designed for area or 'mood lighting'?
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:22:42 -0500, Mike Hartigan wrote:
I want to use these for accent lighting, not as task lights.
Unfortunately, a dimmer doesn't work with an electronic
'transformer', and a magnetic transformer costs more than the lamps.
Could I simply use a lower voltage electronic transformer? If so,
how low should I go to get, say, half as much light output?

WTF don't you install lower wattage bulbs?

Lower wattage is good, however, there
are dimmers that can work
with the "electronic" transformers. I
use one in a TV production
truck where it is used to dim 4 20 watt,
12 volt hockey puck lights above
the production console. During setup
you need bright, but during
production we dim them so it's easier to
see the TV and computer
monitors.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 20, 9:22*pm, Mike Hartigan wrote:
I want to use these for accent lighting, not as task lights. *
Unfortunately, a dimmer doesn't work with an electronic
'transformer', and a magnetic transformer costs more than the lamps. *
Could I simply use a lower voltage electronic transformer? *If so,
how low should I go to get, say, half as much light output?

If you are locked in to the bulbs you have, could you use a
combination series and parallel wiring? That should be an easy fix.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mike Hartigan wrote:

I want to use these for accent lighting, not as task lights.
Unfortunately, a dimmer doesn't work with an electronic
'transformer', and a magnetic transformer costs more than the lamps.
Could I simply use a lower voltage electronic transformer? If so,
how low should I go to get, say, half as much light output?

FWIW, I have 120VAC under cabinet halogens with LOW-MED-HI-OFF touch
switches. I just checked, and with line voltage at about 116, I'm
getting 110 from the bulb supply on HI, 68 on MED, and 37 on LOW.

Low is plenty for mood lighting at night with little other room
lighting. So, you might shoot for 1/3 to 1/2 of what you have for
starters, i.e. try 4 to 6 volts.

My experimental data fits nicely with Joe's suggestion; try two or three
bulbs in series to see whether that's what you're looking for. Or hook
one bulb up to some flashlight batteries to experiment with different
voltages.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I painted mine, left a small amount unpainted facing the direction I wanted
brighter

"Mike Hartigan" wrote in message
I want to use these for accent lighting, not as task lights.
Unfortunately, a dimmer doesn't work with an electronic
'transformer', and a magnetic transformer costs more than the lamps.
Could I simply use a lower voltage electronic transformer? If so,
how low should I go to get, say, half as much light output?

Wiring Up Cabinet Halogens Jeff B Home Repair 7 January 5th 08 02:51 AM
LV Halogens elziko UK diy 17 September 10th 07 03:38 PM
Daylight Halogens Doki UK diy 6 August 13th 06 12:53 AM
Mains halogens Grumps UK diy 6 March 1st 06 11:08 AM
GU10 Mains Halogens Slurp UK diy 29 August 5th 05 07:39 AM