Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Resurface Chimney Crown

It's got cracks, chips, minor pcs fallen out. What would you folks use?

I saw some stuff at the Borg but didn't look carefully. Thought it was a
Sakrete product but don't see it on their site. Said it was a vinyl cement
resurfacer. Had the word vinyl on it. I'm thinking vinyl=plastic=water
resistance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 11:17*am, Red Green wrote:
It's got cracks, chips, minor pcs fallen out. What would you folks use?

I saw some stuff at the Borg but didn't look carefully. Thought it was a
Sakrete product but don't see it on their site. Said it was a vinyl cement
resurfacer. Had the word vinyl on it. I'm thinking vinyl=plastic=water
resistance.

Fire place guy did mine with something like this. Looked like a
paste.
I defer to younger guys to climb on my roof these days
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 11:46�am, Frank wrote:
On Mar 19, 11:17�am, Red Green wrote:

It's got cracks, chips, minor pcs fallen out. What would you folks use?

I saw some stuff at the Borg but didn't look carefully. Thought it was a
Sakrete product but don't see it on their site. Said it was a vinyl cement
resurfacer. Had the word vinyl on it. I'm thinking vinyl=plastic=water
resistance.

Fire place guy did mine with something like this. �Looked like a
paste.
I defer to younger guys to climb on my roof these days

chip carefully and remove the old, then replace the cap with mortar
mix.

refinishing can lead to future cracks, espically around ther ceramic
liner.

in our case it cracked, water got in and froze, the ceramic liner
broke and fell in blocking the hot water tanks chimney.

we got bad carbon monoxide poisioning, fortunately a buddy stopped to
visit, recognized the symptoms, he is a volunteer fireman and had been
a EMT.

saved all our lives.

the bad thing about chimney caps is they cant be seen from ther ground
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote in
:

On Mar 19, 11:46�am, Frank wrote:
[...]

Appreciate the reply but...

Not totally sure what to use but I do know mortar is NOT the thing for a
crown.

From a reprinted article

"In fact, most sand and mortar crowns crack almost
immediately after installation because of shrinkage."

Reprinted with permission from the Chimney Safety Institute
of America, www.csia.org
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 9:27*pm, Red Green wrote:
bob haller wrote :

On Mar 19, 11:46 am, Frank wrote:
[...]

From a reprinted article

"In fact, most sand and mortar crowns crack almost
*immediately after installation because of shrinkage."

* * * * Reprinted with permission from the Chimney Safety Institute
* * * * of America,www.csia.org- Hide quoted text -

They should be made of concrete instead of mortar and there should be
a gap between the crown and flue liner which is caulked. A good
chimney sweep will inspect this for you and maybe even recaulk it as
part of the job.
I had mine redone about 10 years ago. The origonal had been made with
mortar mix and had begun to crumble.
The guy built a form around the top of the chimney and filled it with
concrete. The resulting crown had a decorative edge(double cove) and
over hung the edge of the chimney by an inch or so. Cost was about
$300. I thought this was reasonable. I havent had to recaulk it yet.

Jimmie

Flue extending beyond crown on a chimney Sheldon[_3_] Home Repair 9 September 14th 08 03:12 AM
Chimney Cap/Crown mortar that will not crack? RichK Home Repair 6 August 2nd 07 09:34 PM
Chimney crown repair ole Home Repair 2 July 15th 07 03:20 AM
Resurface Clawfoot tub? HotRod Home Repair 8 February 3rd 06 01:37 PM
Cracked crown on red brick chimney The Kearsley Curse Home Repair 5 August 3rd 05 08:29 PM