Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cabinet in side wall of stairs

Hi all:

I just recently finished an upstairs playroom and associated fully-
enclosed staircase. Because of the layout of the stairs, I put a
storage cabinet into one of the side walls of the stairs to make use
of some dead space. The cabinet is on a person's right as they ascend
the stairs. The top of the cabinet is level, while the bottom follows
the angle of the stairs. My original plan was to divide the cabinet
into four cabinets, each with a door that is angled at the bottom to
match the slope of the stairs. The door bottoms would be close enough
to the stairs that they would have to open toward the "downhill" side
to avoid hitting the stair nosings. This maximizes space in the new
cabinets, but I worry about the ergonimics of having to walk to the
"uphill" side of a cabinet to access it. I want to use cup hinges
with solid doors to match existing cabinets in the house. Open
shelving is not an option. I have considered the following options:

1: Doors hinge on the right, opening downhill as described above.
Maximum space in cabinet. Potential ergonomics issue having to open
from uphill side. Potential safety issue if person falls down stairs
into open door.

2: Doors hinge on the left, opening uphill. Doors would either be
rectangular to clear stairs. I have made a drawing of what this would
look like and it's not very attractive. Space would be reduced but
ergonomics and safety in the event of a fall would be better.

3: Doors hinge on the left, and have sloped bottoms raised enough to
clear stairs. Reduced space in cabinet. Smallest cabinet door
(leftmost as viewed from the stairs) would almost become a triangle
with minimal room for hinges on the short side. Less dangerous if
someone falls, as they would close the door rather than be caught by
it.

What options have I failed to consider? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John.