Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil Again Phil Again is offline

Default Cabinet in side wall of stairs

{snip}
I have considered the following options:

1: Doors hinge on the right, opening downhill as described above.
Maximum space in cabinet. Potential ergonomics issue having to open
from uphill side. Potential safety issue if person falls down stairs
into open door.

2: Doors hinge on the left, opening uphill. Doors would either be
rectangular to clear stairs. I have made a drawing of what this would
look like and it's not very attractive. Space would be reduced but
ergonomics and safety in the event of a fall would be better.

3: Doors hinge on the left, and have sloped bottoms raised enough to
clear stairs. Reduced space in cabinet. Smallest cabinet door
(leftmost as viewed from the stairs) would almost become a triangle with
minimal room for hinges on the short side. Less dangerous if someone
falls, as they would close the door rather than be caught by it.

What options have I failed to consider? Thanks in advance.

Hinge on Top, slide into very top of cabinet opening (or at least part
way into top.) Like Barrister's Bookcase.

Rockler's web site has an example of Barrister's Bookcase.

Have you considered making one cabinet 1/2 high opening and a false
bottom inside cabinet so there is a hiding place below? Hiding place as
in Santa Clause's early-delivery storage during December and Xmas lights
storage during rest of year?

Phil