Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help me get a lawn

On Mar 14, 2:14*pm, wrote:
Ok, this is the year. *Built this house 3 years ago and I need a
lawn. *The front lawn is almost 90% crabgrass. *Wife thinks I am
wasting my time since "grass" already grows there ! * Staring out my
front window looking at brown dead crabgrass and I have finally
snapped.

In the Northeast, can someone give me so ideas about how to get
started on getting a lawn growing instead of this mess. *The goal here
is grass, any kind, I don't need a football field or a golf course
just grass. *Goal is do it on the cheap if I can. * Front lawn is
maybe 100x150 and including the back lawn is about 3/4 acre.

First thought is to get something to enrich the soil and discourages
crabgrass. *Then get one of those slice-seeders and overseed the heck
out of it. *Not much of a green thumb though can anyone give me some
advice?

Thanks!

First thing is a crabgrass pre-emergent. Get it down before
forsythias bloom where you live. I do this every year.
Get grass seed recommended for your area and don't use quick cover or
something with a lot of annual rye grass unless you have an erosion
problem.
I do some seeding in the spring but fall is better. When you mow,
don't scalp the lawn as this encourages weeds and crabgrass.

Craftsman lawn mower scalps lawn- need advice George Abbot Home Repair 14 May 31st 08 01:27 PM
fall lawn care for "newly" seeded lawn jIM Home Repair 5 September 23rd 06 04:12 AM
How much to put in a lawn [email protected] Home Repair 5 August 31st 05 03:14 AM
Lawn Jen Home Repair 7 May 11th 05 02:29 PM
Can my Craftsman 15.5 hp, 42 in. Deck Lawn Tractor use Craftsman 42 in. Deluxe Lawn Tractor Snow Thrower B52 Home Ownership 1 January 14th 04 04:31 PM