Posted to alt.home.repair
RY RY is offline

Default Smell from Kitchen Sink

I have a strong smell coming from kitchen sick that just won't go
away.........it smells quite strong.

I have removed the cap that screws on at the bottom and nothing there and I
have checked and cleaned trap, and yes there was scum there. I cleaned the
best I could , but still strong smell.

How do I fix this? where is it coming from?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RY" wrote in message
I have a strong smell coming from kitchen sick that just won't go
away.........it smells quite strong.

I have removed the cap that screws on at the bottom and nothing there and
I have checked and cleaned trap, and yes there was scum there. I cleaned
the best I could , but still strong smell.

How do I fix this? where is it coming from?

The trap is the first place to check, but it may be water (and food residue)
that is hiding some other place. Under faucets etc. Mix some bleach and
water in a spray bottle and spray all round the sink, faucet handles, where
the sink meets the counter, etc. Be sure to check under the counter and in
the cabinet in case of a drip that you've not seen yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RY" wrote in
:

I have a strong smell coming from kitchen sick that just won't go
away.........it smells quite strong.

I have removed the cap that screws on at the bottom and nothing there
and I have checked and cleaned trap, and yes there was scum there. I
cleaned the best I could , but still strong smell.

How do I fix this? where is it coming from?

I have checked and cleaned trap

When you say "checked", does that mean the trap was full of water when you
pulled it or removed cleanout nut?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 23:20:18 -0230, "RY" wrote:

I have a strong smell coming from kitchen sick that just won't go
away.........it smells quite strong.

I have removed the cap that screws on at the bottom and nothing there and I
have checked and cleaned trap, and yes there was scum there. I cleaned the
best I could , but still strong smell.

How do I fix this? where is it coming from?

Is this artesian well water? It can stink but is mighty tasty.

Bakin' Soda in the pipe drain?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RY" wrote in message
I have a strong smell coming from kitchen sick that just won't go
away.........it smells quite strong.

I have removed the cap that screws on at the bottom and nothing there and
I have checked and cleaned trap, and yes there was scum there. I cleaned
the best I could , but still strong smell.

How do I fix this? where is it coming from?

Do you have a garbage disposal or a dishwasher or both? Had the same
problem. I bought a product that you put on the bottom of the dishwasher and
run it through a cycle. That didn't help. Then bought a product from Bed,
Bath and Beyond. Can't remember the name but they'll direct you. Dropped
it in the disposal and followed the instructions. Afterward I poured some
bleach in the disposal, let it sit awhile then boiling water. Bye bye
smell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 3/9/2009 11:50 PM (ET) Oren wrote the following:
On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 23:20:18 -0230, "RY" wrote:

I have a strong smell coming from kitchen sick that just won't go
away.........it smells quite strong.

I have removed the cap that screws on at the bottom and nothing there and I
have checked and cleaned trap, and yes there was scum there. I cleaned the
best I could , but still strong smell.

How do I fix this? where is it coming from?

Is this artesian well water? It can stink but is mighty tasty.

Bakin' Soda in the pipe drain?

An artesian well is a specific type of well that requires that the
source of the water is above the elevation of the destination, like from
a nearby mountain. An artesian well is powered by gravity alone. Most
household wells are fed by underground aquifers and require pumps to
lift the water from the aquifer. Some of these wells have a sulfur odor.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"RY" wrote in
:

I have a strong smell coming from kitchen sick that just won't go
away.........it smells quite strong.

I have removed the cap that screws on at the bottom and nothing there
and I have checked and cleaned trap, and yes there was scum there. I
cleaned the best I could , but still strong smell.

How do I fix this? where is it coming from?

I have checked and cleaned trap

When you say "checked", does that mean the trap was full of water when you
pulled it or removed cleanout nut?

I have checked and cleaned trap. I can check and cleaned clean out nut area.
I have used javex.
Still wicked smell.
The smell is coming directly from drain hole and no where else. If i plug
the sink, no smell.

I'm lost!