Posted to alt.home.repair

Default moldy smell from sink

I have two sinks in my kitchen. One main sink, which gets the majority
of the use and one sink in the island, which gets little use. The
island sink drain emits this moldy smell all the time. I've tried
putting bleach down there, nothing, the smell comes right back. Is
there any way to get rid of that smell permanently?

thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Nov 19, 2:52*pm, lloyd wrote:
I have two sinks in my kitchen. One main sink, which gets the majority
of the use and one sink in the island, which gets little use. The
island sink drain emits this moldy smell all the time. I've tried
putting bleach down there, nothing, the smell comes right back. Is
there any way to get rid of that smell permanently?

thanks.

Open the cabinet doors and crawl underneath and look around for mold.
It might not be the sink. It might be something that gets wet from
the sink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 12:12*pm, Pat wrote:
On Nov 19, 2:52*pm, lloyd wrote:

I have two sinks in my kitchen. One main sink, which gets the majority
of the use and one sink in the island, which gets little use. The
island sink drain emits this moldy smell all the time. I've tried
putting bleach down there, nothing, the smell comes right back. Is
there any way to get rid of that smell permanently?

thanks.

Open the cabinet doors and crawl underneath and look around for mold.
It might not be the sink. *It might be something that gets wet from
the sink.

Nope, it's definitely coming from the drain.
thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"lloyd" wrote in message
On Nov 19, 12:12 pm, Pat wrote:
On Nov 19, 2:52 pm, lloyd wrote:

I have two sinks in my kitchen. One main sink, which gets the majority
of the use and one sink in the island, which gets little use. The
island sink drain emits this moldy smell all the time. I've tried
putting bleach down there, nothing, the smell comes right back. Is
there any way to get rid of that smell permanently?

thanks.

Open the cabinet doors and crawl underneath and look around for mold.
It might not be the sink. It might be something that gets wet from
the sink.

Nope, it's definitely coming from the drain.
thanks.

does the island have a disposal or large sized drain? there could be all
sorts of crud built-up inside a disposal, or the top of the downtube.
pouring bleach wouldn't get to those parts. try using a bottlebrush to clean
it out with something foaming (i use drain cleaner).

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/19/2008 2:52 PM lloyd said the following:
I have two sinks in my kitchen. One main sink, which gets the majority
of the use and one sink in the island, which gets little use. The
island sink drain emits this moldy smell all the time. I've tried
putting bleach down there, nothing, the smell comes right back. Is
there any way to get rid of that smell permanently?

thanks.

Is the drain vented? If not, see he
http://www.rd.com/19540/article19540.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

lloyd wrote:

On Nov 19, 12:28 pm, "charlie"
wrote:

"lloyd" wrote in message

On Nov 19, 12:12 pm, Pat wrote:

On Nov 19, 2:52 pm, lloyd wrote:

[...]

Charlie,
thanks for the response. I'll try the bottle brush, but honestly this
sink and disposal gets very little use, so I don't think there is much
crude in there.
Will using a foaming drain cleaner hurt the pipes?
Also, as I have just posted, this is a newly renovated kitchen. It's
been less then a year and the sink started smelling about 6 months
ago.
Thanks again,
lloyd

There might be grease that is growing stuff, and bleach won't remove
grease. I would try pouring
a large pot of very hot water with plenty of dishwashing soap added into
the drain. Then try the bleach.
Posted to alt.home.repair

lloyd wrote:

On Nov 19, 12:29 pm, willshak wrote:

on 11/19/2008 2:52 PM lloyd said the following:

I have two sinks in my kitchen. One main sink, which gets the majority
of the use and one sink in the island, which gets little use. The
island sink drain emits this moldy smell all the time. I've tried
putting bleach down there, nothing, the smell comes right back. Is
there any way to get rid of that smell permanently?

thanks.

Is the drain vented? If not, see hehttp://www.rd.com/19540/article19540.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

To my unprofessional eye, it looks vented. The pipe comes out of the
disposal, loops down then up as high as it can, before looping back
down and into the floor, but unlike your photo there is only one loop,
not two. Could the mold be building up at the bottom of the loop?
Also, this kitchen was installed about a year ago, it's all new stuff
and I started noticing the smell about 6 months ago.
thanks for your help.
lloyd

My disposal gets smelly once in a while........I tried feeding some
lemon peel through disposal
and it seemed to cure the problem. I'm sure there is plenty of gunk
that can hide from cleaners
that are just poured down the drain, like the underside of splash-guard,
etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lloyd" wrote in message
I have two sinks in my kitchen. One main sink, which gets the majority
of the use and one sink in the island, which gets little use. The
island sink drain emits this moldy smell all the time. I've tried
putting bleach down there, nothing, the smell comes right back. Is
there any way to get rid of that smell permanently?

thanks.

use it more often. the trap is probably drying out and letting the gases
out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lloyd" wrote in message
On Nov 19, 12:28 pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"lloyd" wrote in message

On Nov 19, 12:12 pm, Pat wrote:

On Nov 19, 2:52 pm, lloyd wrote:

[...]

---
a little used disposal gets this problem. anything collecting on the roof of
the disposal or under the rubber flap will stay there and rot. the trap
could also be drying out. i have a little used shower, which has a floor
drain, that has this problem. i pour a little liquid drain cleaner and scrub
around with a bottle brush to cure. i have to do this about once/year.

use your sink more.

the cleaner won't affect your pipes. it might affect a septic if you go
overboard on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/19/2008 3:43 PM lloyd said the following:
[...]

Here's another type of island sink vent.
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...fh_174_056.asp
I have one of these in my pool house sink.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 1:21*pm, "Clot" wrote:
KingFish wrote:
"lloyd" wrote in message
I have two sinks in my kitchen. One main sink, which gets the
majority of the use and one sink in the island, which gets little
use. The island sink drain emits this moldy smell all the time. I've
tried putting bleach down there, nothing, the smell comes right
back. Is there any way to get rid of that smell permanently?

thanks.

use it more often. *the trap is probably drying out and letting the
gases out.

Seconded.

Thanks to everyone. I'll try some of these things and see how it goes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 1:52*pm, lloyd wrote:
I have two sinks in my kitchen. One main sink, which gets the majority
of the use and one sink in the island, which gets little use. The
island sink drain emits this moldy smell all the time. I've tried
putting bleach down there, nothing, the smell comes right back. Is
there any way to get rid of that smell permanently?

thanks.

On one sink I have plastic pipe that seems to allow mold to grow, I
pour in bleach, cover the drain overnight then fill sink with hot
water and flush it the next morning. If you have traps and use it once
a month then the traps are not dry, so id guess its mold on the pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

try some baking soda and vinegar

http://www.thegoodhuman.com/2007/03/...-with-vinegar/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Nov 19, 3:55*pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"lloyd" wrote in message

On Nov 19, 12:28 pm, "charlie"
wrote:

"lloyd" wrote in message

On Nov 19, 12:12 pm, Pat wrote:

On Nov 19, 2:52 pm, lloyd wrote:

[...]

What is the definition of "little". A rarely used sink/shower could
have the trap dry out and then you can smell sewer gas. Just filling
with water cures the problem but the smell might stick around for a
while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:46:19 -0800 (PST), lloyd
wrote:

On Nov 19, 12:28Â*pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"lloyd" wrote in message

On Nov 19, 12:12 pm, Pat wrote:

On Nov 19, 2:52 pm, lloyd wrote:

[...]

Does it have a proper trap installed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:52:18 -0800 (PST), lloyd
wrote:

I have two sinks in my kitchen. One main sink, which gets the majority
of the use and one sink in the island, which gets little use. The
island sink drain emits this moldy smell all the time. I've tried
putting bleach down there, nothing, the smell comes right back. Is
there any way to get rid of that smell permanently?

thanks.

Permanent fix: Stop putting organic material down the sink. Dump a
half cup of baking soda down the drain, pour in 1/2 cup of houshold
vinegar. After an hour or two, rinse.