Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Questions about pressure treated 6 X 6 steps ??

About 5 years ago, I installed a set of outdoor steps leading up to a
gazebo. These steps are made out of 6 X 6 pressure treated timbers.

The steps are planted into the ground, and staked with rebar. They are
holding up well. They have never had a sealer,
stain, or paint on them.

Within the last year, the steps got a slime green color (not the original
PT color), which I assume is some type of algae growth. This made them very
slippery when wet, so they are a danger to walk on when it rains.

I cleaned them with a 50-50 water/clorox solution, which removed the green
algae. But, I now see quite a bit of black areas, which I assume is
mildew.

Two Questions:

1. do you think that undiluted clorox would remove the black areas of these
steps ?

2. once I get the black mildew areas clean, what should I paint the steps
with ? I assume a sealer will not do well on PT lumber, and I don't think a
stain will penetrate PT lumber very well.

------------------------

Am I on the right track ?

Comments and advice please !!

Thanks !

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 9:28*pm, "James" no wrote:
[...]

If it's mildew the bleach will remove it. I had pretty good luck
applying 1" strips of that adhesive backed, black, antislip tape. You
need to make sure you get the steps completely dry which may mean
waiting for dryer weather. Another option would be to set your
circular saw to a depth of about 1/8" and then make a series of cuts
across the top.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

wrote
"James" wrote:

Am I on the right track ?

Yes James that seems a good track.

I had pretty good luck
applying 1" strips of that adhesive backed, black, antislip tape. You

I like this one too and did it for a neighbor. We ended up nailing them
down as they tended to shift about over time. I used galvanized wide headed
short nails. In the neighbors case, it's a wood amp that I and some friends
built her for wheelchair access out to her back yard but 'slick is slick' so
it would be the same thing.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

The questions relate to cleaning with clorox, and then painting.

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 12:39*pm, "James" no wrote:
The questions relate to cleaning with clorox, and then painting.

James

Yes, you can clean and seal or paint or stain. Sealer and stains will
last 1 to 3 years depending on the specifics. Paint has adhesion
problems on pt lumber. Neither will really solve your problem with
mildew or algae. It will return if the area is periodically wet or
perhaps shady even if the wood is stained or sealed. I've found
nothing really solves the problem long term. That's why I suggested
you go the anti slip route.

That answer your question?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Jamesgang, that is a very good reply, with good info.

I am going to clean the mildew first, and then see if it is worth the bother
to paint.

Thanks again !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" no wrote in message
.. .
Jamesgang, that is a very good reply, with good info.

I am going to clean the mildew first, and then see if it is worth the
bother to paint.

Thanks again !!

James

Try a pressure washer?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

James wrote:
[...]

I had the same problem with pressure treated lumber on my patio. Washing
it about once a year with a pressure washer solved the problem.

EJ in NJ