Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Firewood cover

What are you folks covering your woodpiles with? I'm so tired of re-tying
tarps and replacing tarps every couple of years has gotten old. I've read
that a rigid roof keeps the pile better aerated on top whereas the tarp is
laying on and draping over the wood. Well, I can only imagine sheets of
metal roof taking flight during a winter wind storm peaking at 50+ mph! I'm
thinking that there's really no better way but I thought I'd ask.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
What are you folks covering your woodpiles with? I'm so tired of re-tying
tarps and replacing tarps every couple of years has gotten old. I've read
that a rigid roof keeps the pile better aerated on top whereas the tarp is
laying on and draping over the wood. Well, I can only imagine sheets of
metal roof taking flight during a winter wind storm peaking at 50+ mph!
I'm thinking that there's really no better way but I thought I'd ask.

Nothing. My wood is under the deck and it gets enough protection that way.
I don't worry about rain, just snow as that can be a PITA

Posted to alt.home.repair

C & E wrote:
What are you folks covering your woodpiles with? I'm so tired of
re-tying tarps and replacing tarps every couple of years has gotten
old. I've read that a rigid roof keeps the pile better aerated on top
whereas the tarp is laying on and draping over the wood. Well, I can
only imagine sheets of metal roof taking flight during a winter wind
storm peaking at 50+ mph! I'm thinking that there's really no better
way but I thought I'd ask.

If you are really into woodburning, build a long skinny 3-sided shed to
keep the wood in. Think like a trashcan holder, only real long. More
like an above-ground baseball dugout. Treated wood stringers up off the
ground so bottom of pile stays dry, and a sloped roof with a decent
overhang. I'd make it tall enough so you don't bang your face on the
edge of the roof. Face the open side away from the direction driving
rain usually comes from. With open bottom and long side to let air
through, the roof should stay on with no problem, and it will keep the
wood dry enough. Farmers have been using sheds like this for round hay
bales and tractors for years.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
What are you folks covering your woodpiles with? I'm so tired of re-tying
tarps and replacing tarps every couple of years has gotten old. I've read
that a rigid roof keeps the pile better aerated on top whereas the tarp is
laying on and draping over the wood. Well, I can only imagine sheets of
metal roof taking flight during a winter wind storm peaking at 50+ mph!
I'm thinking that there's really no better way but I thought I'd ask.

I saw this in Sky Mall while flying to Hawaii. Imagine a rectangle about
ten feet wide by two feet deep with the corners cut out. The sides drape
down on all four sides for about two feet. It looks like the top of a shoe
box, but with longer sides. This fits over the four corners of a
rectangular log rack of the same size, the holes going over the four posts.
Gravity or a couple of bungees or some more wood keeps it on. It travels
down as wood is pulled out from under it. The flaps around the edges keep
the wood inside dry.

I have a canvas sewing machine, and will be making one very soon. I can
make one cheaper than they sell them.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 7:44*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"C & E" wrote in . ..

What are you folks covering your woodpiles with? *I'm so tired of re-tying
tarps and replacing tarps every couple of years has gotten old. *I've read
that a rigid roof keeps the pile better aerated on top whereas the tarp is
laying on and draping over the wood. *Well, I can only imagine sheets of
metal roof taking flight during a winter wind storm peaking at 50+ mph!
I'm thinking that there's really no better way but I thought I'd ask.

Nothing. *My wood is *under the deck and it gets enough protection that way.
I don't worry about rain, just snow as that can be a PITA

If you are burning serious amounts of wood, take the time to build a
shelter. It only needs to have a roof, sides are needed. It doesn't
take much time and the expense is not that bad (saves you buying
tarps)

I don't cover mine at all except for the first 5 cords (woodshed and
porch) each season. After that they come off the outside piles where
only the top layer has any significant moisture.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry k" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 7:44 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"C & E" wrote in
. ..

[...]

YEa, I guess you're right, Harry. I should just sink six or eight posts
along the 28' length of the back of the garage, tie them together and do a
metal roof. I already have 4" of 1" stone on the ground for drainage and
that's covered with landscaping cloth to keep the wood debris from filling
the voids in the stone bed. I run two rows of wood ranked and the ends
cribbed up. AEmeijers has a good, 3-sided wood shed idea but this area is
already under a tree and the sun doesn't touch much of the pile so drying is
very slow. I feel that I need the air circulation to make up for the lack
of radiant drying. Interesting tarp, SteveB. I don't believe I've ever
seen that. and your're right. Sky Mall is for suburbanites who buy but
don't invent. Did I say upper class suburbanites.
Thanks, folks. Except you Ed. Wise acre - LOL!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen some folks throw a tarp. Then reach under the
tarp, and pull out several piece of wood. The several pieces
are thrown on top of the tarp. The weight helps keep the
tarp down.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"C & E" wrote in message
What are you folks covering your woodpiles with? I'm so
tired of re-tying
tarps and replacing tarps every couple of years has gotten
old. I've read
that a rigid roof keeps the pile better aerated on top
whereas the tarp is
laying on and draping over the wood. Well, I can only
imagine sheets of
metal roof taking flight during a winter wind storm peaking
at 50+ mph! I'm
thinking that there's really no better way but I thought I'd
ask.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 7:00*am, "C & E" wrote:
"harry k" wrote in message

[...]

Don't worry about the sun not hitting the pile. It has almost zero
effect on drying time. At most it would help the outside pieces dry.
Air circulation is what does the job.

My "woodshed" is small, only aobut 2 1/2 cord with solid walls on
three sides. Were I to do it over it would have no walls.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 7:00 am, "C & E" wrote:
"harry k" wrote in message

Nothing. My wood is under the deck and it gets enough protection that
way.
I don't worry about rain, just snow as that can be a PITA

Thanks, folks. Except you Ed. Wise acre - LOL!!

You're welcome, of course. I do know what has worked for me for 25+ years.
Simple is good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*I'm so tired of re-tying tarps and replacing
tarps every couple of years has gotten old. *

I just buy the wood pile tarps from Mernards when they put them on
sale.
I cover the pile and then throw a couple of pieces of wood on top.
Never
had a problem and they last for 3-4 years b/4 they need to be
replaced.
Cheaper and easier than building a cover for the wood pile and it's
adjustable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On Mar 4, 7:00 am, "C & E" wrote:
"harry k" wrote in message

Nothing. My wood is under the deck and it gets enough protection that
way.
I don't worry about rain, just snow as that can be a PITA

Thanks, folks. Except you Ed. Wise acre - LOL!!

You're welcome, of course. I do know what has worked for me for 25+ years.
Simple is good.

That must be why the wife has kept me around for 35 years, Ed. She says
that I'm simple - :-O

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've seen some folks throw a tarp. Then reach under the
tarp, and pull out several piece of wood. The several pieces are thrown on
top of the tarp. The weight helps keep the
tarp down.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

That has been my prior modus operandi but 50 mph winds flipped off the
**many**pieces of wood on top of the pile. The tarp would be in the trees
if I hadn't tied through the corner grommets and tied around some nails at
the bottom of the pile. The principal is sound but we have this happen 2-3
times per winter and also multiple lower force winds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 22:41:42 -0500, "C & E"
wrote:

What are you folks covering your woodpiles with? I'm so tired of re-tying
tarps and replacing tarps every couple of years has gotten old. I've read
that a rigid roof keeps the pile better aerated on top whereas the tarp is
laying on and draping over the wood. Well, I can only imagine sheets of
metal roof taking flight during a winter wind storm peaking at 50+ mph! I'm
thinking that there's really no better way but I thought I'd ask.

A tarp is the most common method, and probably the least expensive.
Keep the wood up off the ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 07:49:45 -0500, Phisherman wrote:

A tarp is the most common method, and probably the least expensive. Keep
the wood up off the ground.

My rack was made of 4x4's approximately 16ft long, 4ft wide and 4ft
high. Above that is an open A-frame. Tarps go over and wrap
underneath. Then are held in place by connecting bungee cords. Tension
they provide keeps everything in place.

The Birth Of Thriller Cover chapter 4--The Album Cover HiBob Home Repair 0 May 27th 08 08:55 AM
Firewood stacking Cshenk Home Repair 23 November 9th 07 03:02 AM
Firewood ? [email protected] Woodworking 7 October 29th 07 07:29 PM
Firewood Bob Home Repair 9 November 5th 05 01:37 PM
When to cut firewood? toller Home Repair 7 October 30th 04 09:06 PM