Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wooden Shutters

Hello. I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. I have scrapped,
wire brushed and washed them. They are in pretty good shape. I am
wondering if the paint job will last longer if I caulk the joints
where the rails and stiles meet. Or is the paint enough? Also these
shutters have the panel with a cresent moon cut out. One panel has a
crack about 1/8 inch wide. Is there a way to fill a crack like that?
Will wood filler just fall out over time? Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dave wrote:
Hello. I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. I have scrapped,
wire brushed and washed them. They are in pretty good shape. I am
wondering if the paint job will last longer if I caulk the joints
where the rails and stiles meet. Or is the paint enough? Also these
shutters have the panel with a cresent moon cut out. One panel has a
crack about 1/8 inch wide. Is there a way to fill a crack like that?
Will wood filler just fall out over time? Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

Don't caulk the joints -- it will only trap water and lead to early rotting.

The crack -- use a good quality painter's caulk and it should be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 5:06*pm, dpb wrote:
dave wrote:
Hello. *I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters

Don't caulk the joints -- it will only trap water and lead to early rotting.

The crack -- use a good quality painter's caulk and it should be fine.

I concur.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dave" wrote in message
Hello. I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. I have scrapped,
wire brushed and washed them. They are in pretty good shape. I am
wondering if the paint job will last longer if I caulk the joints
where the rails and stiles meet. Or is the paint enough? Also these
shutters have the panel with a cresent moon cut out. One panel has a
crack about 1/8 inch wide. Is there a way to fill a crack like that?
Will wood filler just fall out over time? Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

I will differ from the other two replies and say that I would use Bondo to
fill the crack because it can be sanded smooth.

Caulk almost always leaves a dimple when it fully dries.

I'm really not sure who it right.

I definitely agree that not caulking where the rails and stiles meet is the
correct response.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2009 2:06 PM dpb spake thus:

dave wrote:

Hello. I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. I have scrapped,
wire brushed and washed them. They are in pretty good shape. I am
wondering if the paint job will last longer if I caulk the joints
where the rails and stiles meet. Or is the paint enough? Also these
shutters have the panel with a cresent moon cut out. One panel has a
crack about 1/8 inch wide. Is there a way to fill a crack like that?
Will wood filler just fall out over time? Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

Don't caulk the joints -- it will only trap water and lead to early rotting.

Yes, absolutely. Was told by a skilled house painter (through a friend)
that the worst thing that you can do is to caulk the gaps between siding
boards on a wall; all it does is trap moisture *behind* the wall and
practically guarantees rot. Since this seems counterintuitive, many
people think they're protecting their house by caulking such seams.

The crack -- use a good quality painter's caulk and it should be fine.

Or good quality painter's putty (I use Crawford's), which dries a bit
harder and doesn't shrink as much.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"dave" wrote in message
Hello. I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. I have scrapped,
wire brushed and washed them. They are in pretty good shape. I am
wondering if the paint job will last longer if I caulk the joints
where the rails and stiles meet. Or is the paint enough? Also these
shutters have the panel with a cresent moon cut out. One panel has a
crack about 1/8 inch wide. Is there a way to fill a crack like that?
Will wood filler just fall out over time? Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

I will differ from the other two replies and say that I would use Bondo to
fill the crack because it can be sanded smooth.

These are 80 y/o wood shutters...

Caulk almost always leaves a dimple when it fully dries.

I'm really not sure who it right.

I definitely agree that not caulking where the rails and stiles meet is the
correct response.

Caulking might help keep the end-grain from absorbing water, expanding
and causing paint to crack and peel. Caulk
after priming. Ends of wood clapboards are caulked for same reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 2:58*pm, dave wrote:
Hello. *I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. *I have scrapped,
wire brushed and washed them. *They are in pretty good shape. *I am
wondering if the paint job will last longer if I caulk the joints
where the rails and stiles meet. *Or is the paint enough? *Also these
shutters have the panel with a cresent moon cut out. One panel has a
crack about 1/8 inch wide. *Is there a way to fill a crack like that?
Will wood filler just fall out over time? *Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

Wash, bleach to kill mold, a precurser to, and cause of rot, Old oil
slow dry primer, ; [not Quick dry] and 2 coats of the best paint you
can buy, and none of it is at HD or Menards. Go to a store that has
Moore, or Sherwen Williams
Posted to alt.home.repair

dave wrote:

Hello. I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. I have scrapped,
wire brushed and washed them. They are in pretty good shape. I am
wondering if the paint job will last longer if I caulk the joints
where the rails and stiles meet. Or is the paint enough? Also these
shutters have the panel with a cresent moon cut out. One panel has a
crack about 1/8 inch wide. Is there a way to fill a crack like that?
Will wood filler just fall out over time? Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

Don't caulk the joints -- it will only trap water and lead to early
rotting.

How is water trapped? I don't understand the logic .. paint when the
weather and the wood are dry. Two coats on end grain, after primer.

Yes, absolutely. Was told by a skilled house painter (through a friend)
that the worst thing that you can do is to caulk the gaps between siding
boards on a wall; all it does is trap moisture *behind* the wall and
practically guarantees rot. Since this seems counterintuitive, many
people think they're protecting their house by caulking such seams.

The crack -- use a good quality painter's caulk and it should be fine.

Or good quality painter's putty (I use Crawford's), which dries a bit
harder and doesn't shrink as much.

I've done a good deal of painting, but never heard of "painter's putty".
Is it same as glazing compound? As for shrinkage, caulk is flexible
(assuming one uses the right caulk) and is meant to expand and contract
while adhering.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2009 5:24 PM spake thus:

dave wrote:

Hello. I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. I have scrapped,
wire brushed and washed them. They are in pretty good shape. I am
wondering if the paint job will last longer if I caulk the joints
where the rails and stiles meet. Or is the paint enough? Also these
shutters have the panel with a cresent moon cut out. One panel has a
crack about 1/8 inch wide. Is there a way to fill a crack like that?
Will wood filler just fall out over time? Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

Don't caulk the joints -- it will only trap water and lead to early
rotting.

How is water trapped? I don't understand the logic .. paint when the
weather and the wood are dry. Two coats on end grain, after primer.

Rain. Water gets behind siding through any number of cracks, seeps and
other means. If there are gaps between boards, it eventually dries out.
If it's sealed up, the moisture stays in there and does its evil deeds.

Yes, absolutely. Was told by a skilled house painter (through a friend)
that the worst thing that you can do is to caulk the gaps between siding
boards on a wall; all it does is trap moisture *behind* the wall and
practically guarantees rot. Since this seems counterintuitive, many
people think they're protecting their house by caulking such seams.

The crack -- use a good quality painter's caulk and it should be fine.

Or good quality painter's putty (I use Crawford's), which dries a bit
harder and doesn't shrink as much.

I've done a good deal of painting, but never heard of "painter's putty".
Is it same as glazing compound?

No, it's just what I said it was--"painter's putty", says so right on
the can. It's a thick dense compound that fills cracks well, dries hard
and adheres well. You might try some, see if you like it. (Available at
good building-supply places, not sure about big boxes like Home Despot.)

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary
and analysis of the Philippine-American War. And vice-versa.
This is an inviolable rule.

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

dave wrote:

[...]

while adhering.- Hide quoted text -

"Painters Puttey" is water base, water holding crap

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2009 6:00 PM ransley spake thus:

"Painters Puttey" is water base, water holding crap

My stuff (Crawford's) is oil-based, and not crap.

You, on the other hand, are a ****ing idiot.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary
and analysis of the Philippine-American War. And vice-versa.
This is an inviolable rule.

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 12:35*am, Red Green wrote:
dave wrote in news:40a38a82-e460-4a69-8c84-
:

Hello. *I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. *I have scrapped,
wire brushed and washed them. *They are in pretty good shape. *I am
wondering if the paint job will last longer if I caulk the joints
where the rails and stiles meet. *Or is the paint enough? *Also these
shutters have the panel with a cresent moon cut out. One panel has a
crack about 1/8 inch wide. *Is there a way to fill a crack like that?
Will wood filler just fall out over time? *Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

A somewhat related piece of info I've learned from personal experience. If
there is no roof overhang above the shutter, somehow flash or cap the top
of the shutter or it will rot big time.

Are they the ones where the shutter fins actually move up and down using a
wooden piece in the middle:-)

Thanks for all the replies. They are all very helpful. I'm glad I
asked or I would have caused myself grief down the road. These are
"working" shutters. I use the quotes because years of paint prevent
anything from moving on them. I had looked at having them stripped
once and I was laughed out of the place. The person I spoke with said
he could strip a dining room set in the same amount of time. Thanks
again for all the input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:58:45 -0800 (PST), dave
wrote:

Hello. I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. I have scrapped,
wire brushed and washed them. They are in pretty good shape. I am
wondering if the paint job will last longer if I caulk the joints
where the rails and stiles meet. Or is the paint enough? Also these
shutters have the panel with a cresent moon cut out. One panel has a
crack about 1/8 inch wide. Is there a way to fill a crack like that?
Will wood filler just fall out over time? Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

Not sure what caulking the joints will do, if anything. Apply a
quality primer and finish coat. You can fill the crack with glazing
compound, either before or after the primer.

How can I fix 2 pounds heavy plaster plaques to a painted wooden wall? (Those thin wooden panels that they had in the 70s) [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 5th 07 07:45 PM
Window shutters mm Woodworking 12 March 24th 07 01:07 AM
wanted 36 wooden spindles @ 17" also 36 wooden teddy bears @ 4 inch high URGENTLY [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 30th 06 03:50 PM
Shutters ClaudCar Home Ownership 0 March 29th 05 09:30 PM
Stom shutters Zemedelec Home Repair 1 September 27th 04 06:36 PM