Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wooden Shutters

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:58:45 -0800 (PST), dave
wrote:

Hello. I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden
shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. I have scrapped,
wire brushed and washed them. They are in pretty good shape. I am
wondering if the paint job will last longer if I caulk the joints
where the rails and stiles meet. Or is the paint enough? Also these
shutters have the panel with a cresent moon cut out. One panel has a
crack about 1/8 inch wide. Is there a way to fill a crack like that?
Will wood filler just fall out over time? Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

Not sure what caulking the joints will do, if anything. Apply a
quality primer and finish coat. You can fill the crack with glazing
compound, either before or after the primer.