Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to ship a mirror?

Malcolm Hoar wrote:
In article , Ernie Willson wrote:

Thanks for your reply, but I need what I asked for..pickup, packing, and
shipping. The shipper must do all three things, not just shipping. There
is no one who will pack this for me. When I looked at UPS the total bill
for these three services was about $300.00.

Looks like you have your answer.

If saving $$$ becomes more compelling, you can do some of the
work yourself for less money (like the packing).

Frankly, $300 does not seem completely unreasonable. You don't
create the impression of being someone that will be easy to
work with either ;-)

Four of the past five Christmases, UPS broke something that I either
sent or received. I would not choose UPS to send something breakable,
no matter how carefully packed. When UPS broke something that I had
insured, I had to jump through hoops to get back the purchase price.
Since I had purchased the item online, my cost included shipping to me,
but UPS does not reimburse that. I had the item packed at the UPS
store, more than due diligence, with "breakable" and "this side up" all
over it....the only way they could have broken it was to stand it on
it's side and drop something heavy on top of it.

Even if the sender can't pack it, they might be able to build a frame
for it so there is no way of compressing it - wood around four sides and
a length of wood across front and back. If there is no time pressure, a
mover would be my choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 2:29*pm, "
wrote:
Malcolm Hoar wrote:
[...]

UPS is a good choice IF you understand their service; this side up
means nothing at all, they should be able to jump on any side and not
break it, or in their opinion it is inadequately packed. You need to
envision the entire truck load as your package, plus a few hundred
loose bowling balls, if you packed it to survive that, it will be
likely delivered on time with a smile, and a thank you. Again it is a
great service, but they have no allowance for fragile in their system.
You have to UPS proof you package.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
On Mar 3, 2:29 pm, "
wrote:
Malcolm Hoar wrote:
[...]

Combined with an arrow pointing "up", the words indicate that the arrow
should point up at all times. At least to those who speak and
understand English.

they should be able to jump on any side and not

Why do they spend money for "Fragile" and "Handle with Care" stickers?
Just a decoration?

break it, or in their opinion it is inadequately packed. You need to
envision the entire truck load as your package, plus a few hundred
loose bowling balls, if you packed it to survive that, it will be
likely delivered on time with a smile, and a thank you.

No, actually, it can be sent to the wrong address, after being snowed in
in Memphis for a few days. The UPS store switched labels for two
parcels I sent at the same time. One was to be the gift for my
brother's last Christmas.
Again it is a
great service, but they have no allowance for fragile in their system.
You have to UPS proof you package.

UPS proof is sending FedEx or USPS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
On Mar 3, 2:29 pm, "
wrote:
Malcolm Hoar wrote:
In article , Ernie Willson wrote:

(snip)

UPS is a good choice IF you understand their service; this side up
means nothing at all, they should be able to jump on any side and not
break it, or in their opinion it is inadequately packed. You need to
envision the entire truck load as your package, plus a few hundred
loose bowling balls, if you packed it to survive that, it will be
likely delivered on time with a smile, and a thank you. Again it is a
great service, but they have no allowance for fragile in their system.
You have to UPS proof you package.

I'll second that. I've shipped lots of CPUs via UPS, and never had a
fatality, but I always overpack the hell out of them. The
foam/airpacks/cardboard always weigh as much as the contents. $300 is
not THAT out of line for building a crate around an odd-size mirror, and
shipping it. If the mirror is not worth that much, dollar-wise or as an
heirloom, sell it and buy a new one. Is UPS literally the only shipper
in town? No other companies under 'shipping' or 'packing and mailing' in
the local phonebook? Picking up the naked item at OP's house accounts
for a big chunk of the $300 by itself. If he can get the item to
shipper's location, the price should go down a bunch. If local moving
company doesn't want to handle a one-box deal, they probably still sell
their fancy moving boxes at retail- I'm sure the slide-to-fit boxes they
use for framed paintings would probably work for a mirror. If OP can
have a sealed box waiting, that will likely cut what UPS wants to
charge, even if they pick it up.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote:
On Mar 3, 2:29 pm, "
wrote:
Malcolm Hoar wrote:
In article , Ernie
Willson wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Hi,
UPS put a fork lift arm into vintage guitar amp in transit.
Looks like it was intentional. Was insured and money was recovered
but the amp was a wreck. Fedex seems little better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 3:29�pm, "
wrote:
Malcolm Hoar wrote:
[...]

mover would be my choice.- Hide quoted text -

UPS brown packed some valuable equiptement, shipped it UPS and it got
broken

UPS claimed it was UPS browns fault, UPS brown claimed it was UPS
fault i ended up taking the loss and will never use ups brown again!

they are two seperate useless companies, running under the same
banner.

recently UPS SMASHED a box on the glass warning sticker, destroying
the 300 value glass lamps inside, the box actually was bowed, the
manucacturers hard foam packing broken.

called UPS for OVER A MONTH! they never responded to send a agent to
inspect. the supplier said not our problem.

so one day I went to the UPS terminal, on a busy pre thanksgiving day
and showed off their handiwork to the long line of waiting customers

Then ranted at the counter, soon therafter they paid the shipper and
my merchandise was replaced.

UPS has gotten pretty good at sucky customer service

How to ship a mirror? Oren[_2_] Home Repair 1 March 3rd 09 08:38 PM
How to ship a mirror? [email protected][_2_] Home Repair 0 March 3rd 09 08:21 PM
How to ship a mirror? dpb Home Repair 0 March 3rd 09 08:18 PM
gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror) sm_jamieson UK diy 9 December 15th 08 04:58 PM
fixing mirror - mirror screws and bushes sm_jamieson UK diy 0 April 23rd 07 01:29 PM