Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to ship a mirror?

Eric in North TX wrote:
On Mar 3, 2:29 pm, "
wrote:
Malcolm Hoar wrote:
In article , Ernie Willson wrote:

(snip)

UPS is a good choice IF you understand their service; this side up
means nothing at all, they should be able to jump on any side and not
break it, or in their opinion it is inadequately packed. You need to
envision the entire truck load as your package, plus a few hundred
loose bowling balls, if you packed it to survive that, it will be
likely delivered on time with a smile, and a thank you. Again it is a
great service, but they have no allowance for fragile in their system.
You have to UPS proof you package.

I'll second that. I've shipped lots of CPUs via UPS, and never had a
fatality, but I always overpack the hell out of them. The
foam/airpacks/cardboard always weigh as much as the contents. $300 is
not THAT out of line for building a crate around an odd-size mirror, and
shipping it. If the mirror is not worth that much, dollar-wise or as an
heirloom, sell it and buy a new one. Is UPS literally the only shipper
in town? No other companies under 'shipping' or 'packing and mailing' in
the local phonebook? Picking up the naked item at OP's house accounts
for a big chunk of the $300 by itself. If he can get the item to
shipper's location, the price should go down a bunch. If local moving
company doesn't want to handle a one-box deal, they probably still sell
their fancy moving boxes at retail- I'm sure the slide-to-fit boxes they
use for framed paintings would probably work for a mirror. If OP can
have a sealed box waiting, that will likely cut what UPS wants to
charge, even if they pick it up.

--
aem sends...