Posted to alt.home.repair

Default repairs on older home

I am a disabled 64 year old person who worked until 1992 and had a
work injury. I paid taxees until a few years ago and lost my husband
to cancer. There fore I do not make enough money to file. Is there a
stimulas check for helping repair and old home. I have had to take a
loan to do the important stuff.Please somebody tell me how the
stimulas can help me
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
wrote:
I am a disabled 64 year old person who worked until 1992 and had a
work injury. I paid taxees until a few years ago and lost my husband
to cancer. There fore I do not make enough money to file. Is there a
stimulas check for helping repair and old home. I have had to take a
loan to do the important stuff.Please somebody tell me how the
stimulas can help me

Rashton, there may not be one specific to you needs but read below:

Try to find an agency in your county for elder affairs...council on aging,
or whatever they call themselves. Your county welfare department might be
able to give you leads. My county has a special phone number for reaching
a central information source for help on a wide variety of needs. The
point is, there are many agencies and foundations which provide assistance
for elders and disabled. If you belong to a church, ask your pastor if
there are members who might be willing to help with

I snipped some but it's all good info Normin.

Rashton, there's lots out there you may not know about and for smaller jobs
(like a bad step that needs fixing, a few loose tiles someplace, even help
with painting or a screen that needs rescreening) there are people who bond
together and work by 'word of mouth' to help out. Be leery of contractors
with long term payment plans. Calculate the real cost then the cost they
want from you per month til paid off and you can find a 50% or more interest
rate with some of them. Habitat for Humanity is a great one if you live in
an area they work within. Google for them and their web page will show
areas and an email you can tell them where you live at to see if they can
help (they will want to know what you need done). They are reputable.

My Mom (age 78 but very hale) helps folks like you. I do things and my
husband does as well. (If you live in Virginia, email me at the address
above and tell me what city and I will see if either of us has contacts
there, I am in Norfolk area, Mom lives western end of Virginia). Now Mom
and i can't do everything, but you havent said what you need. There is even
a chance if you post your general city and state, another here might be
willing to email you with reputable folks local to you that may be able to
help. Organizations and churches are a good bet too as some of the small
odd jobs i do, come from pastors who call me to see if I can fit in one of
the things I do well (much of it cosmetic but not all).

In the past year for example I've done or been part of doing:
- 5 wood wheelchair ramps (2 from scratch, 3 repairs to existing ones)
- 2 cement ramps (1 a repair, one poured from scratch)
- ? repairs to cement or wood steps to houses (side, front, back)- lost
count
- 5 rescreening jobs (2 could use metal holders and just needed fresh
screen)
3 needed new screens - made wood frame ones to fit
- 3 house paintings with minor structural repairs (replace some hardiboard
etc)
- 3 cosmetic wallpaper jobs as part of mold repair finishing

Neither I nor any of the folks on these jobs make or ask for any money past
that of materials and even when asking for materials, we tend to be able to
scrounge up among friends much of what is needed. Bag of cement here, a few
PT boards there, adds up. Us freebie folks (grin) *may* be pretty specific
in materials, for example I will only work with wallpaper types I know how
to hang well. Oh and none of us are insured (but none of us in my group
would even dream of that being 'your' problem if something happened and in
fact have signed forms several times about it before starting a job.
Habitat for humanity especially).

It's out there, you just have to look for where it is. Most of my work has
been within 1/2 mile of my house. Neighbors chatting over fences, passing
the word along.

Oh Husband's list in past year? He's helped with about 1/2 of those and he
also does quite a few things I do not nor did I help with. Basic plumbing,
toilet removal and replacement (or just new wax seal if still can get it off
to do that and no other damage), clogged sinks with PVC elbows, gutter
cleaning, minor exterior brick mortar repairs (cosmetic level mostly, he's
not a brick layer), tree trimming if still minor and not near power lines
(preventive mostly levels), sapling removals, doorknob lock or deadbolt
replacements, and furniture repair (loose legs that have become a hazard
etc).

It's there, just like Normin says.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Mar 1, 5:28*pm, wrote:
I am a disabled *64 year old person who worked until 1992 and had a
work injury. I paid taxees until a few years ago and lost my husband
to cancer. There fore I do not make enough money to file. Is there a
stimulas check for helping repair and old home. I have had to take a
loan to do the important stuff.Please somebody tell me how the
stimulas can help me

start he http://www.nw.org/network/nwdata/Nei...anizations.asp

If there are no local groups, contact your county's Development
Department.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am a disabled 64 year old person who worked until 1992 and had a
work injury. I paid taxees until a few years ago and lost my husband
to cancer. There fore I do not make enough money to file. Is there a
stimulas check for helping repair and old home. I have had to take a
loan to do the important stuff.Please somebody tell me how the
stimulas can help me

Here in Swannanoa, NC (a suburb of Asheville), if you register with Warren
Wilson College, the students come out periodically to help people with
fixing and painting at no charge. Some of the local churches and
organizations and schools also offer the same thing. Why don't the original
letter writer check with the local churches or schools and see if they offer
any service like this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am a disabled 64 year old person who worked until 1992 and had a
work injury. I paid taxees until a few years ago and lost my husband
to cancer. There fore I do not make enough money to file. Is there a
stimulas check for helping repair and old home. I have had to take a
loan to do the important stuff.Please somebody tell me how the
stimulas can help me

If you haven't spent the loan, hang onto the money for a while. You
need to be very cautious taking on debt...that is scary for a disabled
person. It might help in the advice area to know, generally, the nature
of repairs needed and what kind of area you live in - city, suburbs,
rural? Also, would you be able to do simple repairs or exchange any
kind of work for work - child care, sewing, crafts, etc.? Do you know
your neighbors, exchange favors with them?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Mar 2, 6:28*am, "Sanity" wrote:

Here in Swannanoa, NC (a suburb of Asheville), if you register with Warren
Wilson College, the students come out periodically to help people with
fixing and painting at no charge. Some of the local churches and
organizations and schools also offer the same thing. *

Many military installations have groups who will occasionally have
community help days. Also check with your local courts to see if they
can provide help through "community service" sentencing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
My older female neighbors bribe me with cakes, cookies, and other
goodies to fix things for them. I am of course glad to help!

Heh!

Heard a story about a lady living in a New York apartment. She made friends
with a single man in the same building who had a toolkit. Whenever she
needed a "honey-do" she invited him for dinner - but to bring his toolkit.
Their internal conversations went like this:

Him: "She's a miracle worker. For the cost of the right kind of thirty-five
cent bolt, I get a rack of lamb dinner."

Her: "He's a miracle worker. He can put up a towel rack so it won't fall
down and all I have to do is add a couple of potatos to the pot."

Then then had sex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 18:42:57 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I am a disabled 64 year old person who worked until 1992 and had a
work injury. I paid taxees until a few years ago and lost my husband
to cancer. There fore I do not make enough money to file. Is there a
stimulas check for helping repair and old home. I have had to take a
loan to do the important stuff.Please somebody tell me how the
stimulas can help me

There must be church run and other volunteer groups
in your area that could assist you. Habitat for Humanity
might be a place to start. I would tend to trust them
more than any government run organization.

TDD

Right. Who has read the "stimulus" bill? Certainly not the folks that
passed it. I can't give advice on how it would help the OP.

A local Scout Troop might help. Eagle Scouts can get a Merit Badge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 18:42:57 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I am a disabled 64 year old person who worked until 1992 and had a
work injury. I paid taxees until a few years ago and lost my husband
to cancer. There fore I do not make enough money to file. Is there a
stimulas check for helping repair and old home. I have had to take a
loan to do the important stuff.Please somebody tell me how the
stimulas can help me

There must be church run and other volunteer groups
in your area that could assist you. Habitat for Humanity
might be a place to start. I would tend to trust them
more than any government run organization.

TDD

Right. Who has read the "stimulus" bill? Certainly not the folks that
passed it. I can't give advice on how it would help the OP.

A local Scout Troop might help. Eagle Scouts can get a Merit Badge.

One of my friends passed away a while back. Like
me he was a post WWII baby boomer so you know our
age group. His mother is quite old and frail and
she can always call us guys who knew her son to
help her out. Me and a lot of the contractors I
know will often volunteer time and materials to
help out someone less fortunate. We have no
organization or anything, we may hear about
someone who's disabled or has some other financial
problem and we call around to the various businesses
we deal with to see if they have any leftovers we
could use to help those folks out. We're nothing
special, we're just people. I believe there is
something to this thing called Karma.

TDD