Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sprinkler system layout question

I'm replacing some old sprinkler piping with PVC. A one inch pipe
ends branching off using a "T" fitting to the right in a 10 foot run
and to the left for 70 feet. For the 10 foot run to the right should
I continue with one inch pipe, then decrease the diameter to the
left. Or since it's only 10 feet would it be better to go with 3/4"
pipe to the right and one inch to the left, decreasing to the end? Or
does it matter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 7:46�am, wrote:
I'm replacing some old sprinkler piping with PVC. �A one inch pipe
ends branching off using a "T" fitting to the right in a 10 foot run
and to the left for 70 feet. �For the 10 foot run to the right should
I continue with one inch pipe, then decrease the diameter to the
left. �Or since it's only 10 feet would it be better to go with 3/4"
pipe to the right and one inch to the left, decreasing to the end? �Or
does it matter?

Is that a good practice to use PVC? Will it pass code? I don't know.
Have you checked with the local code enforcement?

It would seem to me that the PVC may weaken and maybe rupture before
the sprinkler would go off ( depending on sprinkler temp. and heat
build-up in the ceiling).

It don't take long for PVC to melt using a small candle flame (about
10 seconds).

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 7:46*am, wrote:
I'm replacing some old sprinkler piping with PVC. *A one inch pipe
ends branching off using a "T" fitting to the right in a 10 foot run
and to the left for 70 feet. *For the 10 foot run to the right should
I continue with one inch pipe, then decrease the diameter to the
left. *

Since it's 7 times longer to the left, why would you consider using a
smaller diameter? The smaller the diameter, the more the pressure
will drop per foot for the same flow rate.

Or since it's only 10 feet would it be better to go with 3/4"
pipe to the right and one inch to the left, decreasing to the end? *Or
does it matter?

Also, among the missing info here is what happens along the 70 ft run,
ie does all the water go the whole distance, or are there sprinklers
along the way, etc. If there are sprinklers, then the volume of
water decreases and you could go with a smaller diameter closer to the
end. From a practical standpoint, it's not worth screwing around
reducing pipe size. Just use the same size for the whole run.
Assuming of course that whatever diameter was there to begin with
worked and your not adding heads, changing flow rates, etc.

Don;t know why you would want to replace regular poly sprinkler pipe
with pvc. I don't see any advantage to PVC and it's harder to work
with in this application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 8:34*am, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
On Feb 28, 7:46 am, wrote:

[...]

He's talking about a LAWN sprinkler system. But PVC usually isn't
used there either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 9:23�am, wrote:

He's talking about a LAWN sprinkler system. � But PVC usually isn't
used there either.-

Oops! Sorry about that. I feel so dumb now.

Hank

Sprinkler system Question John202 Home Repair 1 October 26th 06 11:59 PM
Installing sprinkler to an existing sprinkler system. MOEE Home Ownership 1 September 14th 06 09:53 PM
Need help with my outside sprinkler system The Space Boss Home Repair 3 May 4th 06 12:07 AM
sprinkler system MattMika Home Repair 5 June 24th 05 05:52 AM
Sprinkler system question - clearing the lines of water Home Repair 1 October 14th 04 12:25 PM