Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generac transfer switch burnout if main power returns in brownoutcondition

mcavotta wrote:
We live in a rural community which has the typical power outages. A few
weeks back, a storm ripped through Ohio on it's way to the East Coast. We
lost power for almost 5 days. The Generac kicked in perfectly, but when
the power was returned at 85 volts, the transfer switch chattered to
death!!! In talking with the local dealer, this happens all the time. He
mentioned that virtually hundreds of people complained about this problem
during the "big blow" of a few weeks ago.

Does anyone have a fix here? I think it odd that the leader in backup
generators who prides themselves on Industry Leadership, has let this one
go. Plus, I hear that batteries on the units may explode due to the way
they maintain a charge. Four blew here in N. Ohio........

-------------------------------------

I never had that problem with the Generac systems I've installed.
If it is an issue and there is no low main voltage safety
interlock designed into the transfer switch, it a simple fix
with an over the counter module that can be purchased from
any HVAC supply house. Someone with a technical handyman skill
set should be able to modify your system. ICM manufactures a
single phase motor protection module that would be perfect choice
to monitor the voltage on the mains.

http://www.icmcontrols.com/products/...php?prod_pk=55

The best thing about it is that it's an off the shelf and commonly
available product.

TDD