Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generac transfer switch burnout if main power returns in brownoutcondition

On Feb 27, 1:27*pm, (mcavotta)
wrote:
We live in a rural community which has the typical power outages. *A few
weeks back, a storm ripped through Ohio on it's way to the East Coast. *We
lost power for almost 5 days. The Generac kicked in perfectly, but when
the power was returned at 85 volts, the transfer switch chattered to
death!!! *In talking with the local dealer, this happens all the time. *He
mentioned that virtually hundreds of people complained about this problem
during the "big blow" of a few weeks ago. *

Does anyone have a fix here? *I think it odd that the leader in backup
generators who prides themselves on Industry Leadership, has let this one
go. *Plus, I hear that batteries on the units may explode due to the way
they maintain a charge. *Four blew here in N. Ohio........

-------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Exploding Batteries-urban myth, gee is that bs by a Honda guy. My
Generac works. I wonder what does it take to EXPLODE a acid battery,
maybe 220v? No I think it would boil. To Explode a battery you need
spark. And who you talkin to, a Honda dealer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 4:15�pm, ransley wrote:

Exploding Batteries-urban myth, gee is that bs by a Honda guy. My
Generac works. I wonder what does it take to EXPLODE a acid battery,
maybe 220v? �No I think it would boil. To Explode a battery you need
spark. �And who you talkin to, a Honda dealer?-

I am not sure what you are calling an "urban myth", but I have seen
the results of a FEW over-charged auto batteries that are producing
hyrochloric acid when there is a spark from connecting/dis-connecting.
It isn't a pretty sight, nor is it a myth.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 27, 5:23*pm, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:

snip

I am not sure what you are calling an "urban myth", but I have seen
the results of a FEW over-charged auto batteries that are producing
hyrochloric acid when there is a spark from connecting/dis-connecting.
It isn't a pretty sight, nor is it a myth.

Batteries are filled with sulfuric acid, Hank. What explodes is
HYDROGEN. Remember the Hindenberg zeppelin in NJ?

Joe

Problem with Generac Transfer switch mikegold Home Repair 22 May 17th 18 02:14 AM
Transfer switch Jonathan UK diy 4 September 1st 08 05:03 PM
Generac Oil Pressure Switch boden Home Repair 9 October 11th 05 04:08 AM
Transfer switch or cutoff switch? rh455 Home Repair 26 July 29th 05 02:03 AM
FS: Generac Owner's Manual: Automatic Transfer Switches, "Y" Type barry Metalworking 7 February 3rd 05 10:35 PM