Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Converting a Canned Light Fixture

I have one of those canned lights over my dining room table.
I think that is what it is called. It is simply a round fixture, with a
metal rim around it. Inside of it is a big light bulb.

I see that Lowe's now carries a kit that would allow me to
install a medallion type fixture over it, and hang a nice
formal light fixture in its place. I guess you could call it a
pendant-type light fixture.

Has anyone done this, and how does it look? Was it easy to
change out?

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I have one of those canned lights over my dining room table.
I think that is what it is called. It is simply a round fixture, with a
metal rim around it. Inside of it is a big light bulb.

I see that Lowe's now carries a kit that would allow me to
install a medallion type fixture over it, and hang a nice
formal light fixture in its place. I guess you could call it a
pendant-type light fixture.

Has anyone done this, and how does it look? Was it easy to
change out?

Many thanks.

Kate

I believe you are referring to a recessed light fixture. To install a
surface mounted fixture in it's place, the recessed fixture has to be
removed and a ceiling box installed. The easiest box to use is a fan brace
like Westinghouse 01100, but it may be possible to use a standard bar box,
depending upon the locations of the beams. Once the box is installed and
connected to the existing cable(s), you install whatever type fixture you
want, using the medallion first, to cover the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Hi - we retrofitted three of the can lights in both of our bathrooms - the
kits are at Lowes - in addition to the kit, you'll need to choose, and
purchase separately, a fixture that attaches to the end of the wire that
comes down from the fixture - the length is adjustable. They look real
nice - more current, so says my
hooked-on-all-of-the-remodeling-shows-on-HGTV girlfriend - install was
easy - just remove the part of the existing fixture that fits up against the
ceiling (leave the "can" installed in the ceiling), screw in the one end of
the kit, snug it up, and that's about it. We didn't require any
modifications to the existing lights - no braces or re-wiring, or anythign
like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Whatever . ." wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Wow, that sure is some Rube Goldberg contraption. One thing you'd better be
sure of before using this type of kit, is that the recessed fixture you are
attaching it to isn't a cut in type. To have any integrity, this thing needs
a rough in kit recessed fixture. Seems to me, using a fan brace and
medallion would be easier, quicker, and stronger, but would require 10 cents
worth of electrical know how.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks so much. Just what I was looking to find.

RBM wrote:
"Whatever . ." wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in message
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

converting kitchen fluorescent light to recessed light pkmicro[_2_] Home Repair 8 July 23rd 08 01:42 AM
Light fixture [email protected] Home Repair 10 September 18th 07 05:39 PM
Light Fixture newbee Home Repair 4 March 12th 07 10:13 PM
Light/Fan Fixture Brian Staff Home Repair 5 November 13th 06 12:22 PM
Converting one-way light switch antgel UK diy 29 May 9th 05 07:34 PM