Posted to alt.home.repair

Default extension ring for fan box?

For whatever it's worth....,

I've been going through the ceiling fan box hunt routine recently. One
thing I found is that at my local Home Depot and Lowes all of the electrical
junction boxes etc. are in the electrical section -- EXCEPT for the ceiling
fan boxes -- duh.

The ceiling fan boxes are in the lighting section where the ceiling fans
(with lights) are located. There are more types and styles than I realized.
The house I am wiring has those small flat/shallow metal "pancake" boxes
attached to a ceiling joist. They make ceiling fan boxes that also attach
to the existing joist, and are shallow, but they also go up along the side
of the joist to allow more room for wires, connections, etc.

Nate Nagel wrote:
Does anyone make an extension ring rated for hanging ceiling fans? Am
about to dive into rewiring upstairs bedrooms, and one of the things
I'd like to do is change the ceiling fixture boxes for fan-rated ones.
Given my druthers, I'd put extension rings on them as well, seeing as
the house was originally wired with switch legs so there's lots of
wires in your average ceiling box (and that is also the logical place
to splice into a circuit for future additions.) But before I truck
down to the Real Electrical Supply Place (which involves getting up at
0-dark-hundred so as not to be late for work) I wanted to make sure
they existed.

thanks

nate

extension ring for fan box? John Grabowski Home Repair 3 February 21st 09 04:02 PM
electric outlet box adjustable extension ring? slate_leeper Home Repair 11 May 15th 08 02:43 PM
Ring Main Extension - Done Incorrectly ? [email protected] UK diy 14 December 16th 07 09:34 PM
Wax ring Jack Home Repair 10 April 7th 07 04:02 AM
Toilet closet flange extension ring questions. Plumbers, help! GeekBoy Home Repair 1 September 4th 04 01:21 PM