Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Volume question

To make the math easier, I am going to have a strip of land that is
10' wide and roughly 175' long cleared with a bobcat. The land is
pretty thick with 8-10 year old pines that are roughly 15' high.

I will have to rent a dumpster to haul away the trees. The bobcat
driver thinks it can be done in one load. Can someone ballpark the
volume? He said a load cost 285$. Those dumpsters must be a whole
lot bigger than I think. It looks to me like two will be pushing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
To make the math easier, I am going to have a strip of land that is
10' wide and roughly 175' long cleared with a bobcat. The land is
pretty thick with 8-10 year old pines that are roughly 15' high.

I will have to rent a dumpster to haul away the trees. The bobcat
driver thinks it can be done in one load. Can someone ballpark the
volume? He said a load cost 285$. Those dumpsters must be a whole
lot bigger than I think. It looks to me like two will be pushing it.

Why not sell the trees to a paper or wood pulp processor if you have one in
your area? He'll arrange to have the trees taken down, hauled off and give
you some money too. I think there's even some hinky tax deduction having to
do with forest land stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
To make the math easier, I am going to have a strip of land that is
10' wide and roughly 175' long cleared with a bobcat. The land is
pretty thick with 8-10 year old pines that are roughly 15' high.

I will have to rent a dumpster to haul away the trees. The bobcat
driver thinks it can be done in one load. Can someone ballpark the
volume? He said a load cost 285$. Those dumpsters must be a whole
lot bigger than I think. It looks to me like two will be pushing it.

Need better information. "Pretty thick" can still be off by a factor of 2
or 5 or 15. I'd guess more than one dumpster though. Is it going to be just
cut or chipped?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
To make the math easier, I am going to have a strip of land that is
10' wide and roughly 175' long cleared with a bobcat. The land is
pretty thick with 8-10 year old pines that are roughly 15' high.

I will have to rent a dumpster to haul away the trees. The bobcat
driver thinks it can be done in one load. Can someone ballpark the
volume? He said a load cost 285$. Those dumpsters must be a whole
lot bigger than I think. It looks to me like two will be pushing it.

If you can't salvage the trees somehow, why don't you burn them?
Ashes don't take up much space. And they're good for the ground.
Dick in Dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 17:12:34 -0500, "Charlie Darwin"
wrote:

"metspitzer" wrote in message
.. .
To make the math easier, I am going to have a strip of land that is
10' wide and roughly 175' long cleared with a bobcat. The land is
pretty thick with 8-10 year old pines that are roughly 15' high.

I will have to rent a dumpster to haul away the trees. The bobcat
driver thinks it can be done in one load. Can someone ballpark the
volume? He said a load cost 285$. Those dumpsters must be a whole
lot bigger than I think. It looks to me like two will be pushing it.

Why not sell the trees to a paper or wood pulp processor if you have one in
your area? He'll arrange to have the trees taken down, hauled off and give
you some money too. I think there's even some hinky tax deduction having to
do with forest land stuff.

Can you get a burn permit? Rent a chipper? Either both of these will
reduce the volume, maybe to the point you won't need a dumpster. I
have many 4-foot pine logs nobody will take, even offered to load
their truck for free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
To make the math easier, I am going to have a strip of land that is
10' wide and roughly 175' long cleared with a bobcat. The land is
pretty thick with 8-10 year old pines that are roughly 15' high.

I will have to rent a dumpster to haul away the trees. The bobcat
driver thinks it can be done in one load. Can someone ballpark the
volume? He said a load cost 285$. Those dumpsters must be a whole
lot bigger than I think. It looks to me like two will be pushing it.

It is the volume not the weight that is going to kill you if these things
aren't shredded.

I can't see you trees. A 40 yard dumpster holds 40 cubic yards of waste.
That is the biggest I am aware of.

3*3*3= 27 * 40 = 1080 cubic feet in the dumpster.

How many trees? And how much volume per tree?

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 5:05*pm, metspitzer wrote:
To make the math easier, *I am going to have a strip of land that is
10' wide and roughly 175' long cleared with a bobcat. *The land is
pretty thick with 8-10 year old pines that are roughly 15' high.

I will have to rent a dumpster to haul away the trees. *The bobcat
driver thinks it can be done in one load. *Can someone ballpark the
volume? *He said a load cost 285$. * Those dumpsters must be a whole
lot bigger than I think. *It looks to me like two will be pushing it.

Can't you find someone with an outdoor woodstove? They will burn
anything
in them. Or contact a campground? They will sell it for $5.00 a
bundle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What he said- rent a chipper, or stage the trimmed branches and logs,
and have a tree service company come in with their chipper. Less volume
to haul, or you could even give the chips away on Freecycle or
CraigsList, as mulch or animal bedding. (a local pallet company has a
standing ad offering it by the bag.)

Other suggestion, if the pines are pretty- offer the living trees for
free, taker must remove. Or are you in a hurry to get that driveway or
whatever in?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No I am in no hurry. The trees are on the edge of the property that
have been walking up in the yard since I have been unable to cut them.
I like the idea about giving the pines away for the wood. I called a
couple of places and they said 8-10 year old pines are not worth the
trouble. I plan to call a few more. They may be 10-12 year old now
that I think about it.

A chipper would be a excellent idea too if I were healthy enough to
run it. I guess I could go to Home Depot and get a couple of day
labors. I can take advantage of America's newest renewable energy
source.

I would be afraid to burn it as there are wooded areas behind the
strip I want cleared.

Almost all of the ideas beat the dumpster idea at 285 a pop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
To make the math easier, I am going to have a strip of land that is
10' wide and roughly 175' long cleared with a bobcat. The land is
pretty thick with 8-10 year old pines that are roughly 15' high.

I will have to rent a dumpster to haul away the trees. The bobcat
driver thinks it can be done in one load. Can someone ballpark the
volume? He said a load cost 285$. Those dumpsters must be a whole
lot bigger than I think. It looks to me like two will be pushing it.

Rent a chipper, then you can get just a 10 yd dumpster. Or just blow
the debris around (depending on the area) as mulch.

PS. the big roll off dumpsters are generally 20 yds (about 3 ft tall)
or 40 yds, (about 6 feet tall)

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Almost all of the ideas beat the dumpster idea at 285 a pop.

Just put an add on Craigslist "Free Wood". It should be gone within a
couple of days.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 4:05*pm, metspitzer wrote:
To make the math easier, *I am going to have a strip of land that is
10' wide and roughly 175' long cleared with a bobcat. *The land is
pretty thick with 8-10 year old pines that are roughly 15' high.

I will have to rent a dumpster to haul away the trees. *The bobcat
driver thinks it can be done in one load. *Can someone ballpark the
volume? *He said a load cost 285$. * Those dumpsters must be a whole
lot bigger than I think. *It looks to me like two will be pushing it.

A 15ft pine chopped off at 8ft would have made alot of nice Christmas
trees, a small chipper will be alot of work, tree companies will bid
disposal and have big chipper trucks. Burning a few at a time with a
hose near would be cheapest. It will burn fast and hot
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:05:34 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

Almost all of the ideas beat the dumpster idea at 285 a pop.

Just put an add on Craigslist "Free Wood". It should be gone within a
couple of days.

Jim

Been there, done that. Ran a "free wood" Craiglist ad for 3 months
and I still have the wood. Peopel call but don't show up. Depends on
the area, I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Been there, done that. Ran a "free wood" Craiglist ad for 3 months
and I still have the wood. Peopel call but don't show up. Depends on
the area, I guess.

Around here, hardwood would be gone it an hour. Pine would be sitting for a
few years. It can be burned, but it is a lot more trouble and has a lot more
creosote potential. The size of the tree the OP has are not something a
sawmill would be interested in either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

Almost all of the ideas beat the dumpster idea at 285 a pop.

Just put an add on Craigslist "Free Wood". It should be gone within a
couple of days.

Jim

Been there, done that. Ran a "free wood" Craiglist ad for 3 months
and I still have the wood. Peopel call but don't show up. Depends on
the area, I guess.

I don't think we have a Craglist here near Atlanta. I actually live
about an hours drive west.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news

" wrote:

Almost all of the ideas beat the dumpster idea at 285 a pop.

Just put an add on Craigslist "Free Wood". It should be gone within a
couple of days.

Jim

Been there, done that. Ran a "free wood" Craiglist ad for 3 months
and I still have the wood. Peopel call but don't show up. Depends on
the area, I guess.

I don't think we have a Craglist here near Atlanta. I actually live
about an hours drive west.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
To make the math easier, I am going to have a strip of land that is
10' wide and roughly 175' long cleared with a bobcat. The land is
pretty thick with 8-10 year old pines that are roughly 15' high.

I will have to rent a dumpster to haul away the trees. The bobcat
driver thinks it can be done in one load. Can someone ballpark the
volume? He said a load cost 285$. Those dumpsters must be a whole
lot bigger than I think. It looks to me like two will be pushing it.

I did a project similar to yours and what I did was pile it up , let it dry
a couple of weeks and the next wet ,foggy day after a good rain I got a burn
permit and a 5 gallon can of diesel fuel , splashed the diesel on the up
wind side of the pile (so the fire is working against any wind) and touched
it off about 7 AM and by 10 PM there was just ashes and rootballs
left...Pine burns VERY fast which is why folks won't take it for firewood
even if it's free..Buy some pizza and beer and invite a couple of friends
and have a good time....After the fire I had the guy dig a hole and bury the
rootballs and ashes....Could dig the hole first and pile the wood on the
hole even....

Encyclopedia of Energy, Six -Volume Set, Volume 1-6 (CD-ROM) leroi2007 Home Repair 3 September 17th 07 04:40 PM
CH Volume VisionSet UK diy 2 June 25th 06 01:34 AM
LG Washer Model WM2277H - Beeper Volume Question [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 April 12th 06 01:44 AM
Concrete mix - volume question [email protected] UK diy 3 April 25th 05 01:40 PM
Air hose pressure/volume question Donald Gares Home Repair 16 April 6th 05 06:11 AM