Posted to alt.home.repair

Default soldering a ball valve

"

Quite often I see a question about
soldering a ball valve. Without question
the ideal way is to use male adapters, and
use a threaded valve. But this isn't
always easy to do. I actually wrote, and
asked Nibco, one of the larger makers of
ball valves, the proper way to solder a
copper ball valve. I will attach their
letter, but it states to close the valve, and
then wrap a cool rag around the body of
the valve, and solder.

I've soldered thousands of them open and closed never use a wet rag
around them unless I'm brazing "close" to them The biggest problem I've
encountered is lose packing nuts causing a drip. One time the quality of
the valves was so bad we tightened all the packing before installing them.

I have to agree with you, as I have soldered hundreds both closed
and open, and without a wet rag..... I just thought I'd pass on what
the valve company says about the closed part....if a person has
done a lot of plumbing, they know how to get it done quickly,
as a less experienced person may tend to keep the torch on for
5 minutes, and really warp things badly

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:02:01 -0700, "nefletch"
wrote:

"

[...]

I've found the torch used is the biggest factor. Air Acelylene is best
(pro plumber's torch) but a BernzoMatic HiSwirl "turbo torch" on MAPP
is an awful close second. Don't even attempt it with a straight mixer
torch on propane. (not enough heat - takes too long)

Just did the 3/4 inch entrance shut-off in 10 minutes (old one off,
new one on) yesterday when the city came to change the meter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 05:56:48 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

Absolutely right. If you solder them with the valve open, they
won't seal tight when closed.

I soldered several of them with the valve open. None have leaked, but
I did use a wet rag, propane torch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:02:01 -0700, "nefletch"

I've found the torch used is the biggest factor. Air Acelylene is best
(pro plumber's torch) but a BernzoMatic HiSwirl "turbo torch" on MAPP
is an awful close second. Don't even attempt it with a straight mixer
torch on propane. (not enough heat - takes too long)

Just did the 3/4 inch entrance shut-off in 10 minutes (old one off,
new one on) yesterday when the city came to change the meter.

I know for a fact my brazing/soldering skills SUCK.

When I wanted to insert a shut off valve I just got one with 3/4"
compression fittings.

Another handy tool is a shut off wrench that can cut your water off at the
water meter. Our county water department doesn't have a problem with
customers shutting off thier own water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:30:24 -0500, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:02:01 -0700, "nefletch"

I've found the torch used is the biggest factor. Air Acelylene is best
(pro plumber's torch) but a BernzoMatic HiSwirl "turbo torch" on MAPP
is an awful close second. Don't even attempt it with a straight mixer
torch on propane. (not enough heat - takes too long)

Just did the 3/4 inch entrance shut-off in 10 minutes (old one off,
new one on) yesterday when the city came to change the meter.

I know for a fact my brazing/soldering skills SUCK.

When I wanted to insert a shut off valve I just got one with 3/4"
compression fittings.

Another handy tool is a shut off wrench that can cut your water off at the
water meter. Our county water department doesn't have a problem with
customers shutting off thier own water.

Except the water shutoff is at the street -an undeground "hydrant"
valve which belongs to the city - everything from there in belongs to
the homeowner - and if that 1/4 turn valve braks when YOU turn it -
YOU pay the city workers to fix it. If they break it, they fix it.

As for the compression fittings, I don't like them. They always seam
to seep, and you get white/green corrosion at the joints over time.
(but they are definitely better than a bad solder job).