Posted to alt.home.repair

Default $199 Capet Instillation

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation for
$199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any catches to
this other than stairs not included in the price? Did they do an adequate
job?

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
.. .
Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation for
$199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any catches to
this other than stairs not included in the price? Did they do an adequate
job?

Mike D.

Carpet sellers do that sort of thing all the time. Personally, I'd not
trust the big box stores to send the lowest bidder to my house to do work.
I'd rather deal with a local seller that will stand behind his work.

They make enough money from the carpet, the padding, etc. to offer these
deals. Look at the entire package. Compare prices. Check your local carpet
or floor coverings dealer too and you may find them equal or better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Depot did just fine with my basement carpeting, even noticing
that one door wouldn't open if we put the carpet in front of it (they
suggested leaving out the padding instead of cutting the door, which
we did and it worked fine).

But when dealing with these stores you're at the mercy of whomever
they hire in your area.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
.. .
Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation for
$199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any catches
this other than stairs not included in the price? Did they do an
adequate
job?

Mike D.

Carpet sellers do that sort of thing all the time. Personally, I'd not
trust the big box stores to send the lowest bidder to my house to do work.
I'd rather deal with a local seller that will stand behind his work.

They make enough money from the carpet, the padding, etc. to offer these
deals. Look at the entire package. Compare prices. Check your local
carpet or floor coverings dealer too and you may find them equal or
better.

What he said. It's a crapshoot with Home Depot, although in this market,
there may be some good people now working out of HD. But there are also a
lot of derelicts, fugitives, and aliens that will come into YOUR house.
Every time I have shopped around, I could find the same thing at a regular
retailer, and my wife was an interior designer for twenty years with all
sorts of contacts. Prices are low now, and spending an extra $50 for a
bonded installer isn't too much in my mind.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
.. .
Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation for
$199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any catches to
this other than stairs not included in the price? Did they do an adequate
job?

Mike D.

Six or seven years back, we did a recarpet project with Home Depot (EXPO).
It was a disaster from the get-go-- double charging my credit card (I found
that out when my card was declined entertaining 5 clients in an expensive
restaurant!), mis-measuring, damaging the walls and doors....and the carpet
raising up in ridges about 18 months later and them refusing to come fix it
until I sicced my attorney on them.

And it still ain't right-- it's starting to ridge-up again in two places.

Sooooo-- if you want to go with the HD, ............

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:26:09 -0500, "Sharp Dressed Man"
wrote:

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
. ..
Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation for
$199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any catches to
this other than stairs not included in the price? Did they do an adequate
job?

Mike D.

Six or seven years back, we did a recarpet project with Home Depot (EXPO).
It was a disaster from the get-go-- double charging my credit card (I found
that out when my card was declined entertaining 5 clients in an expensive
restaurant!), mis-measuring, damaging the walls and doors....and the carpet
raising up in ridges about 18 months later and them refusing to come fix it
until I sicced my attorney on them.

And it still ain't right-- it's starting to ridge-up again in two places.

Sooooo-- if you want to go with the HD, ............

What he said. A Real Estate agent went to HD to order vinyl flooring,
specific for the glue down type of material (on the order). The
installers showed up with *tape down* vinyl material.

I would steer clear of anybody from Casa Depote.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 11:56*am, Shaun Eli wrote:
Home Depot did just fine with my basement carpeting, even noticing
that one door wouldn't open if we put the carpet in front of it (they
suggested leaving out the padding instead of cutting the door, which
we did and it worked fine).

But when dealing with these stores you're at the mercy of whomever
they hire in your area.

Shaun Eliwww.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: *Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Why on the Holly Molly did you let them carpet your basement ? Are you
suffering from DT ? Carpet will suck in the moisture in no time. Then
mold and exotic fungi will grow and make you even sicker, than you
are.......
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

wrote in message
On Feb 8, 11:56 am, Shaun Eli wrote:
Home Depot did just fine with my basement carpeting, even noticing
that one door wouldn't open if we put the carpet in front of it (they
suggested leaving out the padding instead of cutting the door, which
we did and it worked fine).

But when dealing with these stores you're at the mercy of whomever
they hire in your area.

Shaun Eliwww.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Why on the Holly Molly did you let them carpet your basement ? Are you
suffering from DT ? Carpet will suck in the moisture in no time. Then
mold and exotic fungi will grow and make you even sicker, than you
are.......

Ever hear of a dry basement? No different than a slab house with carpeting
if done correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Feb 8, 11:56 am, Shaun Eli wrote:
Home Depot did just fine with my basement carpeting, even noticing
that one door wouldn't open if we put the carpet in front of it (they
suggested leaving out the padding instead of cutting the door, which
we did and it worked fine).

But when dealing with these stores you're at the mercy of whomever
they hire in your area.

Shaun Eliwww.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Why on the Holly Molly did you let them carpet your basement ? Are you
suffering from DT ? Carpet will suck in the moisture in no time. Then
mold and exotic fungi will grow and make you even sicker, than you
are.......

Ever hear of a dry basement? No different than a slab house with
carpeting if done correctly.

Obviously a comment coming from a person who has no direct experience with
the subject they are commenting on. Surely, there are basements that
carpeting is not a good idea, but I believe that there are far more
basements where carpet is ideal. I don't believe any sensible person is
going to carpet a dank wet basement.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote in
:

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation
for $199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any
catches to this other than stairs not included in the price? Did they
do an adequate job?

Mike D.

I had one house done by them. Came out fine with no issues. I got a couple
of good subs I guess.

Where I am in NC, they are now both advertising $139. That's the hook. I
don't think it includes ANYTHING except putting it down...no removel, no
furniture moving, no nothing.

Regardless of the hook price, to really know what it does and does not
include, you have to get them to print out a work order. It prints a bunch
of pages with gorey detail of things like tack strip/ft, floor leveler,
trim info, etc. It may not apply directly to your install but will say
something like if we have to xxx then the cost will be $$$/whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 8:31*pm, Red Green wrote:

Regardless of the hook price, to really know what it does and does not
include, you have to get them to print out a work order. It prints a bunch
of pages with gorey detail of things like tack strip/ft, floor leveler,
trim info, etc. It may not apply directly to your install but will say
something like if we have to xxx then the cost will be $$$/whatever.

Carpeted stairs is an upcharge.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote

Obviously a comment coming from a person who has no direct experience with
the subject they are commenting on. Surely, there are basements that
carpeting is not a good idea, but I believe that there are far more
basements where carpet is ideal. I don't believe any sensible person is
going to carpet a dank wet basement.

Correct. Had a perfect one for carpet in Charlottesville VA. We did area
rugs instead (cost factor) but a nice wall to wall install would have been
fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Dobony" wrote

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation for
$199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any catches to
this other than stairs not included in the price? Did they do an adequate
job?

Like others say, depends on the sub contractor. I am told (have not done
mine yet) that the local Lowes is the one to avoid and the local Home Depot
does a nice job. For a fee, they will shuffle all the furniture too but not
my 70 gallon fish tank (wouldnt expect them or trust anyone with that
beauty!).

We did our own job on the floor of the sunroom and it's nice enough but the
livingroom will be a professional install when we have the money saved up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
Michael Dobony wrote in
:

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation
for $199.

Around here (Tucson AZ) they re advertising $ 139... Must be stiff
competition

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message

"Red Green" wrote in message
Michael Dobony wrote in
:

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation
for $199.

Around here (Tucson AZ) they re advertising $ 139... Must be stiff
competition

Laying carpet correctly is an art, but rocket surgery it ain't.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"Michael Dobony" wrote

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation
for $199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any
catches to this other than stairs not included in the price? Did
they do an adequate job?

Like others say, depends on the sub contractor. I am told (have not
done mine yet) that the local Lowes is the one to avoid and the local
Home Depot does a nice job. For a fee, they will shuffle all the
furniture too but not my 70 gallon fish tank (wouldnt expect them or
trust anyone with that beauty!).

We did our own job on the floor of the sunroom and it's nice enough
but the livingroom will be a professional install when we have the
money saved up.

It was a few yeas back but at that time, for some reason, most likely the
hook. they charged 1 cent per piece of furniture moving (came to $1
total), 1 cent per sq yd to remove and 1 cent per sq yd to dispose of old
carpet. The install was 5.75/sq yd. It's that 6 / half dozen thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You from Bastn? Having Capet installed?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:40:38 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"Michael Dobony" wrote

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation for
$199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any catches to
this other than stairs not included in the price? Did they do an adequate
job?

Like others say, depends on the sub contractor. I am told (have not done
mine yet) that the local Lowes is the one to avoid and the local Home Depot
does a nice job. For a fee, they will shuffle all the furniture too but not
my 70 gallon fish tank (wouldnt expect them or trust anyone with that
beauty!).

We did our own job on the floor of the sunroom and it's nice enough but the
livingroom will be a professional install when we have the money saved up.

Just to follow up on what others have said about installers of
anything from carpets to kitchens -- some good, some awful: I had ONE
minor job done by HD on kitchen window, and they screwed up to badly
that I will not use HD again. OK, irrational, but that's their loss
for sending out unqualified people.

Same on anything, even hospitals, facrynoutloud! I was badly treated
several times by one of the big local hospitals umtpy years ago, so I
switched to the other. Now, #1 may have greatly improved in the
meantime, and may even be better than #2, but I have no motivation
to check them out. Caveat vendor g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 18:57:56 -0700, Rudy wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
Michael Dobony wrote in
:

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation
for $199.

Around here (Tucson AZ) they re advertising $ 139... Must be stiff
competition

Just saw that here Friday. Could be the media/Barny Frank/Democrat-induced
recession.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote in
:

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 18:57:56 -0700, Rudy wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
Michael Dobony wrote in
:

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation
for $199.

Around here (Tucson AZ) they re advertising $ 139... Must be stiff
competition

Just saw that here Friday. Could be the media/Barny
Frank/Democrat-induced recession.

Could be. And it could be the 139 hook includes even less than the 199
hook.

I caught one at some place at some time where there was free pull-up and
haul away...but the fine print said there would be a dump disposal fee!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:30:23 -0600, Red Green wrote:

Michael Dobony wrote in
:

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 18:57:56 -0700, Rudy wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
Michael Dobony wrote in
:

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation
for $199.

Around here (Tucson AZ) they re advertising $ 139... Must be stiff
competition

Just saw that here Friday. Could be the media/Barny
Frank/Democrat-induced recession.

Could be. And it could be the 139 hook includes even less than the 199
hook.

I caught one at some place at some time where there was free pull-up and
haul away...but the fine print said there would be a dump disposal fee!

Well, I have no carpet to haul away and no furniture to move.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lowes seems to subcontract to the cheapest labor to do the
installwork. Probably never heard of the CRI 105 standard for carpet
installation. Googling for 20 seconds comes up with plenty of
examples like http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~dgm4d/Lo...pet/index.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 10:28*am, Michael Dobony wrote:
Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation for
$199. *Has anybody here taken advantage of this? *Are there any catches to
this other than stairs not included in the price? *Did they do an adequate
job?

Mike D.

Mike I had 3 rooms with carpet and tile and 1 room with just carpet
the bigger job was done by a small operator in my neighborhood and the
1 small room by a big box store I won't mention the name out of
courtsey but Nascar Driver Jimmy Johnson loves them,but I
digress,after the one room was done I had to call the small guy out to
blend the carpet with the tile the Big Store said that was the best
they could do with such a small space (bedroom,spare) the little guy
spent about 15 Minutes and *Presto*the biggest surprise was he refused
any money,he asked that I tell my friends and he was thirsty so a
bottled water was his pay
believe it or not that is what happened
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 8:32*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Art" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

I must agree with Steve,Dad is 89 yrs young and lives in dorchester
Mass. if the wind were right you could spit in the Ocean and he ALMOST
was suckered into basement carpeting,he has 9 of us and a couple of My
Bro and sisters caught it in plenty of time I said Dad's age now this
happened about the time "Summerville Lumber" was going under
John B aka DirtyIrish
p.s. Dad is no ones fool BUT the salesman had him convinced it was
indoor/outdoor carpet that was why the padding was so expensive
Posted to alt.home.repair

Both Home Depot and Lowes advertise whole house carpet installation for
$199. Has anybody here taken advantage of this? Are there any catches
to this other than stairs not included in the price? Did they do an
adequate job?

Mike D.We are planning to re-carpet 2 staircases. Lowes gave us the $199

installation quote for that. Total installed price was about $1,500 (I'd
have to review the paperwork again to be sure). Seemed pricey to me.

Lowes quoted us 2 months ago and keeps calling us weekly! We haven't
made a decision yet. We assume carpet prices will fall so we are waiting
now for a sale or other better overall deal. A new flooring company just
opened nearby so we're going to check them out plus a few other places.

Cheers! -- Rik

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://forums.TRAVEL.com).
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com