Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic Fan Louvres ?

Hello,

Regarding the exhaust attic fans one would put in the end of an attic in a
Colonial style house:

I see many of them have louvres that open automatically when there is an air
flow thru them.

Why would one want louvres at all ?

The only reason I can see is to keep (some of) the rain off the electric fan
motor.

Is there any other reason ?

Sure seems like it would be better to have a constant air flow thru them in
the winter, e.g., when the
fan is not working.

What am I missing here ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Regarding the exhaust attic fans one would put in the end of an attic in a
Colonial style house:

I see many of them have louvres that open automatically when there is an
air flow thru them.

Why would one want louvres at all ?

The only reason I can see is to keep (some of) the rain off the electric
fan motor.

Is there any other reason ?

Sure seems like it would be better to have a constant air flow thru them
in the winter, e.g., when the
fan is not working.

What am I missing here ?

Thanks,
Bob

You are comparing gable mounted attic ventilators (no shutter), with whole
house gable mounted fans, which are considerably larger and move much more
air

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Regarding the exhaust attic fans one would put in the end of an attic
in a Colonial style house:

I see many of them have louvres that open automatically when there is
an air flow thru them.

Why would one want louvres at all ?

The only reason I can see is to keep (some of) the rain off the
electric fan motor.

Is there any other reason ?

Sure seems like it would be better to have a constant air flow thru
them in the winter, e.g., when the
fan is not working.

What am I missing here ?

If they were open, in the summer you'd have a constant flow of birds, bees,
bats, squirrels, and whatnot.

There's nothing worse than a woodpecker trapped in the attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Regarding the exhaust attic fans one would put in the end of an attic
in a Colonial style house:

I see many of them have louvres that open automatically when there is
an air flow thru them.

Why would one want louvres at all ?

The only reason I can see is to keep (some of) the rain off the
electric fan motor.

Is there any other reason ?

Sure seems like it would be better to have a constant air flow thru
them in the winter, e.g., when the
fan is not working.

What am I missing here ?

If they were open, in the summer you'd have a constant flow of birds,
bees, bats, squirrels, and whatnot.

There's nothing worse than a woodpecker trapped in the attic.

Those that don't have shutters, have screens

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 7:09*am, "RBM" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Regarding the exhaust attic fans one would put in the end of an attic
in a Colonial style house:

I see many of them have louvres that open automatically when there is
an air flow thru them.

Why would one want louvres at all ?

The only reason I can see is to keep (some of) the rain off the
electric fan motor.

Is there any other reason ?

Sure seems like it would be better to have a constant air flow thru
them in the winter, e.g., when the
fan is not working.

What am I missing here ?

If they were open, in the summer you'd have a constant flow of birds,
bees, bats, squirrels, and whatnot.

There's nothing worse than a woodpecker trapped in the attic.

Those that don't have shutters, have screens

I've seen gable mounted fans that have shutters. Not common though.
And I agree with Robert, I don't see the need. Normally they are
mounted behind a normal always open gable vent that has a screen
inside. The only advantage I can see is possibly higher air flow
rate that you would get with shutters that opened fully, no screen,
etc.

Having them closed in the winter would not seem to be a problem, it
might actually be a good thing, because you don't need as much air
moving in winter. Just enough to prevent any moisture problems. So,
if you had some additional venting, that could be fine for winter.
However, in summer, the shuttered vent would not help ventilate until
the attic got hot enough to turn it on. I would think that would be
a bigger issue.

Attic insulation: do attic floor, or roof, or what? And, how much work (ie $$$)? David Combs Home Repair 18 February 21st 09 09:20 PM
louvres [email protected] Woodworking 8 September 2nd 08 09:08 PM
Attic Louvres & Fan Question Robert11 Home Repair 3 May 31st 05 10:41 PM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Repair 7 March 31st 04 03:24 AM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Ownership 3 March 30th 04 06:21 PM