Robert11

Default Attic Louvres & Fan Question

Hi,

Guess this is my day for posting questions.
Great group; sure appreciate all the help and opinions.

Have a typical colonial in New England.
Have never thought about this in the past, but was wondering:

Have an attic fan mounted in a screened opening on one end of the attic.
A belt driven model, that does a great job.
Also has louvres mounted on the opening; when the fan is on, the louvres
open automatically
due to the air flow.

The opening on the other end of the attic just has a screen; no louvres.

My kids have moved into a house that also has screened openings on both ends
of their
attic. Was thinking of putting in a similar attic fan for them.
Thus my question:

Why does one need, or want, these type of automatic openingh louvres ?
Their isn't any on my other end of the attic, and no rain ever seems to get
in.

Wouldn't the fan installation be just as effective without these
auto-opening louvres ?

Funny that I've never thought about them, but now I really don't see what
good they actually do.

Most houses I see don't seem to have them; whether there is a fan installed
or not.

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

Joseph Meehan

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

It may be a matter of the prevailing winds.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Perhaps the fan and louvers came as a unit?
Perhaps the louvers protect the fan from blown rain & resulting rust?
TB