Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat Register Deflectors

I have heat deflectors on some of my heat registers so that instead of
the heat going up towards the ceiling, it will flow out towards the
center of the room.

Does anyone else use these, and do you think they are really necessary?

They are a bit of a pain, because whenever I have company, someone
invariably kicks it if they happen to be in a room with one of these
deflectors.

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I have heat deflectors on some of my heat registers so that instead of the
heat going up towards the ceiling, it will flow out towards the center of
the room.

Does anyone else use these, and do you think they are really necessary?

They are a bit of a pain, because whenever I have company, someone
invariably kicks it if they happen to be in a room with one of these
deflectors.

Many thanks.

Kate

In most cases, the air is going to move around the room as the blower runs.
Deflectors are good to move the warm air away from furniture, but I don't
know they are of much value for any other reason. Take a couple of them off
and see how the room feels. May even be better as the air diffuses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 22:36:16 -0800, Kate wrote:

I have heat deflectors on some of my heat registers so that instead of
the heat going up towards the ceiling, it will flow out towards the
center of the room.

The only time I'd use a deflector would be if the register was under a
piece of furniture. And then I'd use it put less hot air on the
furniture.

Hot air warms the walls & diffuses if the registers are in the right
places. The walls then become low-temp radiators and act as heat
sinks.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 22:36:16 -0800, Kate wrote:

I have heat deflectors on some of my heat registers so that instead of
the heat going up towards the ceiling, it will flow out towards the
center of the room.

Does anyone else use these, and do you think they are really necessary?

They are a bit of a pain, because whenever I have company, someone
invariably kicks it if they happen to be in a room with one of these
deflectors.

Many thanks.

Kate

May or may not be good. I have directed warm air toward the windows
to reduce condensation during extra cold winter days. If the
deflectors are being kicked or tripped over, I'd remove the deflectors
in a second (safety trumps anything else).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:

I have heat deflectors on some of my heat registers so that instead of
the heat going up towards the ceiling, it will flow out towards the
center of the room.

Does anyone else use these, and do you think they are really necessary?

They are a bit of a pain, because whenever I have company, someone
invariably kicks it if they happen to be in a room with one of these
deflectors.

Many thanks.

Kate

I adapted one to the HVAC register directly over the head of our bed so
the hot or cold air didn't blow directly down on us while we were in
bed. G

Been working fine for 20 years now...

Jeff

--