Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tapping into main trunk for new heat register

Plan to cut two new registers into the main trunk line running thru
the basement to add heat to the room. Current registers in that room
are "off-line". Trunk runs in the ceiling, behind plaster. I plan to
cut the hole, fabricate a short duct, put the register in the ceiling,
right off the trunk. Seems rather simple and straightforward.

(just in case) What am I forgetting?

Thanx
Renata

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 11:06 am, Renata wrote:
Plan to cut two new registers into the main trunk line running thru
the basement to add heat to the room. Current registers in that room
are "off-line". Trunk runs in the ceiling, behind plaster. I plan to
cut the hole, fabricate a short duct, put the register in the ceiling,
right off the trunk. Seems rather simple and straightforward.

(just in case) What am I forgetting?

Thanx
Renata

Seems rather simple and straightforward

A former boss used to say "Nothing is ever what it appears to be."

Depending on the layout, you may end up getting too little or too much
heat in that room based on air flow. This could impact the rest of the
house. You might need dampers to help balance the system.

It might be worth paying for an opinion from a pro.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:01:44 -0800, DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Nov 14, 11:06 am, Renata wrote:
Plan to cut two new registers into the main trunk line running thru
the basement to add heat to the room. Current registers in that room
are "off-line". Trunk runs in the ceiling, behind plaster. I plan to
cut the hole, fabricate a short duct, put the register in the ceiling,
right off the trunk. Seems rather simple and straightforward.

(just in case) What am I forgetting?

Thanx
Renata

Seems rather simple and straightforward

A former boss used to say "Nothing is ever what it appears to be."

Depending on the layout, you may end up getting too little or too much
heat in that room based on air flow. This could impact the rest of the
house. You might need dampers to help balance the system.

It might be worth paying for an opinion from a pro.

Nah. Really not called for.
But, you already supplied one of the things I was overlooking.
Dampers!
While the existing system has the capacity (it was already supposed to
be heating the space, but the old ducts are blocked somewhere under
the concrete floor), tapping right into the main trunk with a very
short (12") duct run might cause quite the air flow into the room.

Really, it's not a complicated situation, but I have gotten real good
of late at overlooking the obvious.

Thanx!
Renata

Vent/register and air return register covers. Dan P Home Repair 2 September 8th 07 07:23 PM
Repost: Raising main trunk Jack Home Repair 5 November 25th 06 06:47 PM
How to paint a new heat register/vent [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 25th 06 12:05 AM
INSPIRATION - Trunk J T Woodworking 0 January 8th 06 01:46 AM
Radiant floor heat, main consideration Nicolas Boretos UK diy 0 September 20th 05 10:02 AM