Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1 inch hole in hot air return duct?

On Feb 1, 1:13*am, z wrote:
i just noticed, a hole about an inch in diameter in the bottom of the
hot air return ducting in the basement, just before it enters the
plenum. not sure where the duct is coming from, presumably from the
return register upstairs in line with the duct where it vanishes into
the finished part of the basement. no return register in the basement
itself, although there is one outlet which is closed pretty much all
the time. it's an oil furnace with central air also, if that makes a
difference.

is this hole there for a purpose? prevent small-sized floods from
flowing down the duct into the plenum? suck up carbon monoxide from
the oil burner to circulate around the bedrooms? does it make any
sense to plug it?

Is it direct vent, I put in 2 -12x6" returns I open and close when I
want to direct air in winter summer. Air circulation is good, 1' is
minimal. But wait, Bubba will have the "right answer" and will be here
soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 3:21*am, ransley wrote:
On Feb 1, 1:13*am, z wrote:

[...]

Is it possible there was a humidistat or similar installed
previously? In any case, the hole should be taped over. Otherwise
you're just sucking up cold basement air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 1, 1:13 am, z wrote:
[...]

What do you want to bet that Bubba will recommend a new thermostat???