Posted to alt.home.repair

Default welding/gluing stainless

Joe wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:57 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all,

have one of those corner pole caddy things in my bathroom, actually just
bought it not long ago. However, within a day or two of putting it up I
noticed that the rod to hang a washcloth from was loose at one end, one
of the spots where two wires were supposed to be welded to each other,
well, they weren't. I managed to get a replacement from the vendor but
they said they didn't want the old one back, which makes me wonder if
there's an economical way to fix it so that I could possibly use it in
the shower in the garage. Is there any adhesive that I could use that
would have a hope of working? Or where would I be likely to find
someone who could weld stainless using stainless filler material?

If the welding shop quote seems a tat pricey, you could take advantage
of the compatibility of stainless with silver solder. It can be used
with MAPP gas on small projects although oxyacetylene is faster.
Silver solder is underappreciated IMO, and has excellent strength
properties, yet works at far lower temperatures than common brazing. A
MAPP gas outfit is a lot cheaper than O-A and a nice step up from a
propane torch. HTH

Joe

thanks, I might try that, I already have a MAPP torch (just plain MAPP
though, not oxy-MAPP - does that matter?)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel