Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoffSchultz

Default Gluing/Bonding/Welding Starboard

Is there anyway to glue/bond/weld parts made of Starboard together?

-- Geoff

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoffSchultz

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm in Honduras so the probablility
of finding the adhesive is next to none. Mechanical it is...

-- Geoff

-------------------------

The following was quoted from the 1st response, but the posting was
marked for only 6 days of archiving, To provide this info for future
reference I'm including it in this reply.

There are some glues that will somewhat hold it together after flame
treating the surfaces, but it really needs mechanical fastening if
there will be any stress applied.

So, yes you can glue it, but it will not be very strong.

http://www.tacomarine.com/support/St..._starboard.htm

http://www.tacomarine.com/support/St.../Adhesives.htm

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

Geoff,

The only adhesive that will work is 3M Scotch-weld DP-8005. It is a 2 part
that comes in a $22 2oz binary cartridge. Requires a special $60 applicator
and $2 one time use mixing nozzles. Expensive but you only use a very
thin bead so 2 oz goes a long way. It performs wonderfully. I built the
waterproof hatch between my forward head and the sail locker in 1/2"
starboard. Glued the frame and the hatch stiffeners with 8005 and really
gave it a workout to make sure it would stay together.

If you want to spend the money you might try calling 3M in San Pedro Sula:
504-551-8777 or Tegucigalpa: 504-239-9577. Maybe they can find some for
you.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"GeoffSchultz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there anyway to glue/bond/weld parts made of Starboard together?

-- Geoff

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
News f2s

"GeoffSchultz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there anyway to glue/bond/weld parts made of Starboard
together?

-- Geoff

Forgive my British ignorance - what's starboard?

JimB

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Skipper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starboard

--
Skipper

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

Starboard is a UV stabilized high density polyethylene sheet. Good for
making fittings like table tops and cabinetwork. It is non porous and very
low surface energy so almost nothing sticks to it.

--

"News f2s" wrote in message

"GeoffSchultz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there anyway to glue/bond/weld parts made of Starboard together?

-- Geoff

Forgive my British ignorance - what's starboard?

JimB

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Don White

Skipper wrote:
News f2s wrote:

Forgive my British ignorance - what's starboard?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starboard

--
Skipper

Very funny Skippy.
Believe he's referring to that white plastic material some boaters
favour over marine grade plywood. Some say it's very similar to those
white cutting boards your wife uses in the kitchen....or in Skippy's
case, what he uses in the kitchen.
Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:14:15 -0000, "News f2s"
wrote:

Forgive my British ignorance - what's starboard?

And what do you make the other side of the boat out of?
Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

wrote:

Forgive my British ignorance - what's starboard?

And what do you make the other side of the boat out of?

Larboard.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:14:15 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
"News f2s" quickly quoth:

"GeoffSchultz" wrote in message
roups.com...
Is there anyway to glue/bond/weld parts made of Starboard
together?

-- Geoff

Forgive my British ignorance - what's starboard?

Anti-larboard, of course.

-
DANCING: The vertical frustration of a horizontal desire.
http://diversify.com Full Service Web Programming

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

wrote:

Forgive my British ignorance - what's starboard?

And what do you make the other side of the boat out of?

Larboard.

--
Ed Huntress

I thought it was just Port.
...lew...
Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote:

Forgive my British ignorance - what's starboard?

And what do you make the other side of the boat out of?

Larboard.

--
Ed Huntress

I thought it was just Port.
...lew...

Larboard is an older word for port. Brits use it more than 'Muricans, but
you'll hear it occasionally.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:25:36 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
.. .
wrote:

Forgive my British ignorance - what's starboard?

And what do you make the other side of the boat out of?

Larboard.

"Show 'em your larboard side, Dearie!"

(5 points for the first one that gets the reference...) ;-P

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
News f2s

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Starboard is a UV stabilized high density polyethylene sheet.
Good for making fittings like table tops and cabinetwork. It is
non porous and very low surface energy so almost nothing sticks
to it.

Thanks Glenn.

And I'm glad to entertain those who told me about the other side .
.. .

JimB

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Leanne

wrote:

Forgive my British ignorance - what's starboard?

And what do you make the other side of the boat out of?

Larboard.

--
Ed Huntress

I thought it was just Port.
...lew...

Larboard is an older word for port. Brits use it more than 'Muricans, but
you'll hear it occasionally.

I thought that was the ladenboard or the side that went to the port for
sticking out the back for steering.

Leanne

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne.B

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 08:33:44 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

"Show 'em your larboard side, Dearie!"

(5 points for the first one that gets the reference...) ;-P

"Pirates of the Caribbean " ride at Disneyland.

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

wrote:

Forgive my British ignorance - what's starboard?

And what do you make the other side of the boat out of?

Larboard.

--
Ed Huntress

I thought it was just Port.
...lew...

Larboard is an older word for port. Brits use it more than 'Muricans,

but
you'll hear it occasionally.

I thought that was the ladenboard or the side that went to the port for
sticking out the back for steering.

Could be. Here's what Merriam-Webster says about it:

Main Entry: lar·board
Pronunciation: 'lär-b&rd
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ladeborde
: PORT
- larboard -- adjective

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

"Show 'em your larboard side, Dearie!"

(5 points for the first one that gets the reference...) ;-P

"Pirates of the Caribbean " ride at Disneyland.

"We Wants the Redhead!" And we have a winner.

-- Bruce --