Posted to alt.home.repair

Default woodstove leaks smoke

When we lit the stove at xmas smoke came out of the back. Filled the
house with smoke. Checking it today for the first time, there are 2
outlets for the 6-inch pipe that go to the chimmney. The unused one
one the back has a crack and fell off when I touched it. How do I
reattach it. There are no screws or anything. Just an insulation ring.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 23, 12:54*pm, wrote:
When we lit the stove at xmas smoke came out of the back. Filled the
house with smoke. Checking it today for the first time, there are 2
outlets for the 6-inch pipe that go to the chimmney. The unused one
one the back has a crack and fell off when I touched it. How do I
reattach it. There are no screws or anything. Just an insulation ring.

Post pictures, diagrams, sketches of the layout. Much, much more
information needed to assess the situation for a sensible solution.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jan 23, 3:54*pm, wrote:
When we lit the stove at xmas smoke came out of the back. Filled the
house with smoke. Checking it today for the first time, there are 2
outlets for the 6-inch pipe that go to the chimmney. The unused one
one the back has a crack and fell off when I touched it. How do I
reattach it. There are no screws or anything. Just an insulation ring.

Obviously there for the option of top vent or rear vent. Remove stove,
take to garage, get plate fabricated, weld in place and forgetaboutit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

When we lit the stove at xmas smoke came out of the back. Filled the
house with smoke. Checking it today for the first time, there are 2
outlets for the 6-inch pipe that go to the chimmney. The unused one
one the back has a crack and fell off when I touched it. How do I
reattach it. There are no screws or anything. Just an insulation ring.

You do not reattach cracked stove components. Since you are
unfamiliar with stove technology, it would be prudent to hire an
expert (chimney sweeps in the Yellow Pages. Ask if there is a
woodstove or "solid fuel" technical qualification in the jurisdiction where
you live.) If you try to improvise repair without knowing what you
are doing, you may either cause a fire or invalidate your householder
insurance. In some places the fire safety code is the only part of
the building code that is retroactive (i.e. the municipality can order
you to upgrade at your own expense.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Replacing Woodstove with ... [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 29th 07 09:21 PM
woodstove hearths habbi Home Repair 6 January 21st 06 12:07 AM
Roof Leaks Deck Leaks HELP Michael Roback Home Ownership 0 October 10th 05 02:55 AM
Smoke alarms for rooms where people smoke [email protected] UK diy 26 January 10th 05 04:54 PM
Woodstove leaks Rob Gray Home Repair 5 December 14th 04 01:39 PM