Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another laundry-related timer problem

Got a Kenmore washer, probably going on 20 years old, works fine. But it
has developed an annoying glitch: after the wash cycle is over, it
doesn't turn off completely. There's a *faint* buzzing sound that
persists (solenoid energized???) until you push in the timer dial to
shut it off. Nothing runs, no motor, no water flowing, just a quiet
humming sound.

Anyone familiar enough with these beasts to suggest remedies? Squirt
some contact cleaner in there somewhere?

--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
the late Hunter S. Thompson
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Got a Kenmore washer, probably going on 20 years old, works fine. But it
has developed an annoying glitch: after the wash cycle is over, it doesn't
turn off completely. There's a *faint* buzzing sound that persists
(solenoid energized???) until you push in the timer dial to shut it off.
Nothing runs, no motor, no water flowing, just a quiet humming sound.

Anyone familiar enough with these beasts to suggest remedies? Squirt some
contact cleaner in there somewhere?

Mechanical timer? Most are powered by a tiny synchron motor and it may just
be losing its strength. Bearings, tight spot on the gears, lack of lube.
I'd hit it with contact cleaner and maybe some silicone spray to lube it.

Neff oven timer problem CharlieR UK diy 6 March 13th 21 11:19 AM
GCH timer fuse problem mikehh UK diy 3 January 4th 08 06:39 PM
combi boiler timer problem ramman UK diy 4 October 5th 07 01:08 AM
GE Dishwasher timer problem ?? Derek Atkin Home Repair 1 November 5th 04 12:11 AM
Temperature Related Finishing Problem??? Brian Woodworking 31 August 12th 04 09:33 PM